Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
emam

Good points of P&O

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Alas daiB you have fallen into doccos trap if you keep on responding to him on this thread he will have done his job,he as a problem with p&o cruises so he will continue with his comments till it drowns out all the good experiences you people have had.

I am sure many others have come to the same conclusion.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just one week. We have however had classical concerts on cruises of this duration in the past on Aurora (and further back on Artemis).

 

Glad to hear fom you that it is still available on some of the (slightly) bigger ships. Have you ever seen it on Brittania?

Yes, the first time we were on Brittania. I don't remember names but the young lad played three times in the week. We had to eat in the buffet one night, as it was the only way we could fit in everything we wanted to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought of something else that I enjoy and look forward to.

 

Does anyone else like the Port and Stilton cheese that’s sometimes available on formal nights.

 

You know if you have struck up a good relationship with you table waiter when you ask if they have the Port and Stilton cheese and they duly oblige by bringing it to your table.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Just thought of something else that I enjoy and look forward to.

 

Does anyone else like the Port and Stilton cheese that’s sometimes available on formal nights.

 

You know if you have struck up a good relationship with you table waiter when you ask if they have the Port and Stilton cheese and they duly oblige by bringing it to your table.😋

Shhhhh. Don’t tell everyone 

 

That’s why you do club dining. Staff get to know what you want and like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, daiB said:

Shhhhh. Don’t tell everyone 

 

That’s why you do club dining. Staff get to know what you want and like. 

They are equally as good in freedom dining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They are equally as good in freedom dining.

Naturally.......and you get to choose what time you eat.  Why would you want a fixed time every night?  Good to meet different people too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They are equally as good in freedom dining.

Yes agreed,

We occasionally do Club Dining but we find with freedom that very often the table waiter will ask if you would like the same table for the following evening or alternatively a table in the same area. Either way they do get to know you and your preferences.

Edited by P-L-B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, docco said:

Naturally.......and you get to choose what time you eat.  Why would you want a fixed time every night?  Good to meet different people too.

 

Because some of us enjoy meeting up with the same table companions each night and building up a friendship across the cruise.  I am also very happy to share a table at breakfast/lunch to enjoy the company of different people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that the thought of sharing a table with the same company for 35 nights would be my idea of hell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have to say that the thought of sharing a table with the same company for 35 nights would be my idea of hell!

 

Fixed dining is a bit of a gamble, it can be be great with the right people or as you describe absolute hell if you get the wrong.

 

P&O offer a choice so at least people can get the version they want to enjoy their cruise dining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

 

Fixed dining is a bit of a gamble, it can be be great with the right people or as you describe absolute hell if you get the wrong.

 

P&O offer a choice so at least people can get the version they want to enjoy their cruise dining.

 

Yes, I am sure it is a gamble.  Fortunately for me, with 15+ P&O cruises and over 20 in total, I am pleased to say I have never had a table from hell.  Sure, some have been better than others but I have never felt trapped or the need to change tables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

 

Yes, I am sure it is a gamble.  Fortunately for me, with 15+ P&O cruises and over 20 in total, I am pleased to say I have never had a table from hell.  Sure, some have been better than others but I have never felt trapped or the need to change tables.

 

I tend to go for flexible now so I can eat when I  get hungry, work around shows and meet new people etc.

 

We have only once asked to be moved on fixed dining as one of the table companions swore constantly, which I really don’t find acceptable.

 

I have however been at a larger table with one loud mouthed know it all who tried to dominate conversations and forced their opinion down the throats of everyone else. The table (gently) sorted him out and he piped down a bit.

 

Otherwise generally lovely, interesting people with, as you say some tables better than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Britboys said:

 

Yes, I am sure it is a gamble.  Fortunately for me, with 15+ P&O cruises and over 20 in total, I am pleased to say I have never had a table from hell.  Sure, some have been better than others but I have never felt trapped or the need to change tables.

On shortish cruises dining with the same companions certainly has its advantages, but after the 30th day, especially after a 5th consecutive sea day,  conversation can become a little stilted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, the english lady said:

Maybe Docco has to have new people listen to him every night and how much he LOVES

pando!!!!!

You might be surprised to hear that on Azura A907 very recently the conversation on most evenings (and lunches for that matter) tended to centre on the inadequacies of P&O, and Azura in particular.

 

People were pretty hacked off with the fact that none of the TV channels were working for several days, and that nothing was being done about it.  They were also disappointed with the entertainment.  The sewage smell on the Promenade Deck didn't exactly impress people either.

 

The food, however, drew a lot of praise, and I'd go along with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wowzz said:

On shortish cruises dining with the same companions certainly has its advantages, but after the 30th day, especially after a 5th consecutive sea day,  conversation can become a little stilted!

 

Yes, I can understand that.  My longest cruise so far has been 17 nights, which was fine.

The majority of my P&O cruises now are as a solo passenger and the thought of being with a new set of people every night - as well as at breakfast and/or lunch would fill me with dread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, docco said:

You might be surprised to hear that on Azura A907 very recently the conversation on most evenings (and lunches for that matter) tended to centre on the inadequacies of P&O, and Azura in particular.

 

People were pretty hacked off with the fact that none of the TV channels were working for several days, and that nothing was being done about it.  They were also disappointed with the entertainment.  The sewage smell on the Promenade Deck didn't exactly impress people either.

 

The food, however, drew a lot of praise, and I'd go along with that.

 

For the sake of everybody else on the forum docco, PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE drop it and move on... 😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread. I love P&O because as a solo traveller i feel entirely comfortable being anywhere on the ship (be it bars or restaurants). I have done 2 world cruises and would never have had the courage to go to many places visited on my own, but on Aurora it was wonderful. I have made many lifelong friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been onboard Ventura since lunch time and so far we’re all enjoying it. Cabins are fine, staff lovely and as first time P&O cruisers, we’re quite happy.

Thumbs up for first impressions 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they will keep on coming. Enjoy your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, arendale1 said:

Been onboard Ventura since lunch time and so far we’re all enjoying it. Cabins are fine, staff lovely and as first time P&O cruisers, we’re quite happy.

Thumbs up for first impressions 👍

Fantastic.

You seemed worried, glad you are enjoying it so far.

Long may it continue.

Have a great time,

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some already mentioned, but my positives are:

 

UK plugs

Value for money - not 5 star but it is a good experience given what you pay

Decent solo supplement in most cases

Cinema (or films shown)

Food is good 

UK departure

I think it has a good range of entertainment - something for all ages

Cocktail of the day

Decent drinks prices

Food availablity I think is some of the best - sometimes I want to have lunch at 3pm for example.  

Afternoon tea 

 

Edited by Meka3256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to echo the comments about the stilton - it's always excellent. And if you have the cheek to ask, you can get it most nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our last cruise on Arcadia the cheeseboard was kept on nearby window sills when not in use, totally uncovered. I'm not normall pernickety, but from a hygiene point of view I wasn't overly impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...