No More Budweiser On Board???

NJ CRUISE

2 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

The current name of the conglomerate is Anheuser-Busch InBev & has been non-U.S. owned since 2008.  

Without being political, there has been some domestic job loss due to the new ownership.  But ask any St. Louisan & they would say keep buying Bud since many well paying U.S. jobs still do exist.  And if you ever go to St. Louis, stop by Grant’s Farm!

Grant's Farm isn't own by AB InBev, they're just allowed to operate it. They wanted to sell it to the zoo. It's owned by members of the Busch family. InBev has been trying to do away with AB traditions from the moment they bought it.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

It is physically impossible to have a Budweiser thread without hearing that "better" beers exist. Just like everything else. There's better cruise lines, better food, better ports, blah blah blah.

Personally, I'm sick of craft beers. I feel like garbage after drinking them. I love a good Bud Light Platinum for abv and being lighter. What I'm more sad about is Carnival doesn't carry Jim Beam. 

There was no doubt in my mind that this thread was going to sink into a pit of "beer snobbery." Straight from talking about it not being stocked in Carnival's bars to the usual rhetoric. Every conversation on the internet about the big American brewers always ends up in the same place. Here's the thing, those big brewers started small, just like craft breweries. They grew because of good product, despite what some people think of it now. For crying out loud, AB was started by German immigrants. Are these people going to tell me they didn't know how to make a good beer? 🙄

I gave up drinking AB products when InBev bought them out. It just rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in this region. But I still respect what the Busch family did with the brand. None of the Busch family works at AB anymore. Some took their golden goose egg and left right after the buyout, and one or two held on for a while longer. The great grandson of Adolphus Busch, William "Billy," has started his own brand, Kräftig. To my understanding, he's doing quite well.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gstring121 said:

No Carnivals Red Frog is brewed right on board. Your thinking of Thirsty Frog Red Ale by Budweiser. 

Carnival does brew the redfrog on one or two ships, but the red frog beer on all other ships is brewed in tampa, fl by bud...They contracted with AB to brew the beer, now they have branched out to brew it on a couple of ships but the rest is still supplied by AB out of Tampa

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigdog1958 said:

Carnival does brew the redfrog on one or two ships, but the red frog beer on all other ships is brewed in tampa, fl by bud...They contracted with AB to brew the beer, now they have branched out to brew it on a couple of ships but the rest is still supplied by AB out of Tampa

Two, soon to be three.  Not sure about Mardi Gras.  

16 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Grant's Farm isn't own by AB InBev, they're just allowed to operate it. They wanted to sell it to the zoo. It's owned by members of the Busch family. InBev has been trying to do away with AB traditions from the moment they bought it.

I didn’t say AB InBev owns Grant’s Farm.  They do run/lease it via a complicated arrangement with the Busch’s.  I’m not taking sides

either.  Just said that St. Louisan’s still support the brand (at least partly due to economic reasons).  Very few public companies can operate today in the philanthropic manner AB operated 20-30 years ago.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

There was no doubt in my mind that this thread

was going to sink into a pit of "beer snobbery." ===> Laughing Out Loud!

Straight from talking about it not being stocked in Carnival's bars

to the usual rhetoric. Every conversation on the internet

about the big American brewers always ends up in the same place.

On facebook,

this would be referred to as a huge First World Problem..................

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bigdog1958 said:

Very true, Thanks for the confirmation!

14 hours ago, runner15km said:

Hoping Yuengling  is onboard. 🙂 Most craft beers are too "hoppy " and too high in alcohol for me. 

Totally agree...…….kinda. Yuengling is one of my favorite beers.  Not sure if you can get "too high in alcohol"  though in anything.

• Like 1

I read once that Busch went to Europe looking for beer recipe and came upon a beer that was served to women. It was light and crisp, so he bought it and the brewery. Hence Budweiser....a Czechoslovakian ladies beer.

Edited by Keys2Heaven
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I read once that Busch went to Europe looking for beer recipe and came upon a beer that was served to women. It was light and crisp, so he bought it and the brewery. Hence Budweiser....a Czechoslovakian ladies beer.

I thought it was: Because U Deserve What Every Individual Should Enjoy Regularly......maybe not

Just for clarification:  Sam Adams brews are owned by Boston Beer Co. which is owned by Jim Koch and family the original and only owners.

Sierra Nevada is owned by it's founders as well. 

Cigar City is owned by a brewers alliance affiliated with Oscar Blues, which has long been a staple craft beer brewer and canner in the West. They own several regional craft brewers, but aren't involved in brewery operations.

Budweiser's Tampa facilities closed in the 1960s.  The regional brewery producing Thirsty Red Frog Ale is located in Jacksonville.  If you see a Red Ale on tap at many chain restaurants (Bahama Breeze being one) and some local restaurants, carrying the name of the restaurant, most likely it's the same stuff as TRF. 

52 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Just for clarification:  Sam Adams brews are owned by Boston Beer Co. which is owned by Jim Koch and family the original and only owners.

Sierra Nevada is owned by it's founders as well. 

Cigar City is owned by a brewers alliance affiliated with Oscar Blues, which has long been a staple craft beer brewer and canner in the West. They own several regional craft brewers, but aren't involved in brewery operations.

Budweiser's Tampa facilities closed in the 1960s.  The regional brewery producing Thirsty Red Frog Ale is located in Jacksonville.  If you see a Red Ale on tap at many chain restaurants (Bahama Breeze being one) and some local restaurants, carrying the name of the restaurant, most likely it's the same stuff as TRF. 

I believe that Yuengling is produced in what was the bud facilities outside of Tampa now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WashCoCruisers said:

Just got off the Horizon 2 weeks ago, and my husband drank Bud Light the whole time!!  

I think it's regular Bud that's being discontinued.  Of course Bud light is just regular Bud with water:classic_laugh::classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As we often see changes are due to money. Either enough people weren't buying it and/or they weren't making enough off of it are usually the two reasons why only certain products from one company might go away. Personally, I know more people who drink Bud Light vs regular Bud. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it has at least something to do with Carnival canning their own brand of beer. Probably a much higher profit margin. As many people on here say, "when you go on vacation, you don't want to try what you can get at home," right?

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

As we often see changes are due to money. Either enough people weren't buying it and/or they weren't making enough off of it are usually the two reasons why only certain products from one company might go away.

I agree with this, most likely it's they don't sell enough to justify keeping it in stock and taking up room in the coolers that could be used for a better selling product. It happened several times in restaurants I've worked in, if it's not selling well enough, it gets 86ed.

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Personally, I know more people who drink Bud Light vs regular Bud.

Same here, Bud Light seems to be way more popular than regular Bud in my experience.   

Edited by schazzy

Carnival does not CAN nor bottle their own beer.  TRF Ale is on tap as are all the Pig and Anchor brews on the Vista and Horizon.

However, I would agree that changes in the beer list are due primarily to ship board demand.

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Carnival does not CAN nor bottle their own beer.  TRF Ale is on tap as are all the Pig and Anchor brews on the Vista and Horizon.

However, I would agree that changes in the beer list are due primarily to ship board demand.

Thirsty Frog red ale is a rebranded budweiser beer that AB allows restaurants/bars to market as their "house beer". The beers brewed on the Vista and Horizon are about to be contract brewed at Brew Hub in Lakeland and sold in cans fleet-wide

16 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Thirsty Frog red ale is a rebranded budweiser beer that AB allows restaurants/bars to market as their "house beer". The beers brewed on the Vista and Horizon are about to be contract brewed at Brew Hub in Lakeland and sold in cans fleet-wide

Hmm...Interesting.  For ships without the brewery, might be a good thing.  Brew Hub is getting pretty big though, wondering if they can handle all the different brands, effectively and consistently.

18 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

They are already doing this. When we were on Horizon last month, they were selling these beers in cans. The Caribbean Wheat which they brew on Vista, was available in cans at every bar on the ship (well not Alchemy) and also available in draft at several bars. The draft version of Carribean Wheat was just as good as the beer brewed on Vista. On the other hand, the canned version was not very good. 

Never could stomach Budweiser or Bud Light beers and only drank Mexican or European beers - much more flavor. Favorite now is Spotted Cow, but it's only available in Wisconsin. We go there for the month of September and rent a lake cabin and get our fill of Spotted Cow and bring it back to Florida with us.