Princess Internet a joke!

Bruin Steve

The first thing I do on a cruise is to check with the Internet cafe to ensure that I am logging on and off correctly. That way I have always found my 'free' internet minutes sufficient for me. The only time I had problems and lost a couple off hundred minutes I was able to explain the situation and they were reimbursed to me. I have ALWAYS found the internet cafe people first class and very helpful.

2 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Princess is the one who is banning sites. I cannot access my favorite Admiralty Law web site on Princess. Could it have something to do with the fact he won a multi million dollar case against them? No ban until after his win. But as I have said I use a VPN and have no problems contacting him anytime I want.

That seems a really nasty thing for them to do. I was beginning to wonder why some websites are censored because some are so obscure and unknown to even attract attention to them. Perhaps there is a default list of words that are blocked and Princess has the ability to add more to the list as it sees fit. I was under the impression that it was just a standard filter.

6 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

That seems a really nasty thing for them to do. I was beginning to wonder why some websites are censored because some are so obscure and unknown to even attract attention to them. Perhaps there is a default list of words that are blocked and Princess has the ability to add more to the list as it sees fit. I was under the impression that it was just a standard filter.

It is a Princess filter in place to control in part information flowing off the ships. Many of the sites blocked use a great amount of bandwidth, those are blocked to allow Princess to offer services with less total bandwidth and save money. Some sites are block becasue know to involve illegal activities, others becasue these have done things against Princess or can effect the cruise line.  It is but no means a standard filter. But many lines do these same actions, it is not just Princess. Again if you use a VPN.

VPN Virtual Private Network sets up a  private network across a public network or the network you are using, and enables you to send and receive data without the host net work knowing what it is. Can be used on laptop, desktop, smartphone giving the user functioning use without blocking, security, and management of the private network. Most are also Encrypted for added safety.

Generally on a cruise one switches off from computers and relax.... so not a problem

But for the first time used some of free internet on our last cruise Feb this year... it was ok .. speed was slow but in the internet café... I was right in front of a window with a great view.... just enjoyed the view. and chilled out.   got some email.... and look at some info about our ports of call

Yes the staff in the café were very helpful.... as I do not have a smart phone and do not take my laptop on a cruise....

Did computer drafting for 30 years... as well as doing Computer Admin...

So a cruise is for relaxing.... being with the other half.... enjoying time, talking, food, wine and being together.

So why does everybody need to be so, connected...

Time for a G&T.... Don

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Generally on a cruise one switches off from computers and relax.... so not a problem

So a cruise is for relaxing.... being with the other half.... enjoying time, talking, food, wine and being together.

Time for a G&T.... Don

Because some of us own and operate Business and need to stay in touch with staff and clients. Others need to manage online investment. And some just relax with contact to friends. Many reasons,  no reason to judge others if some want to log out and forget about the internet great.  But for those who want or need it they should be allowed the same courtesy.

47 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Because some of us own and operate Business and need to stay in touch with staff and clients. Others need to manage online investment. And some just relax with contact to friends. Many reasons,  no reason to judge others if some want to log out and forget about the internet great.  But for those who want or need it they should be allowed the same courtesy.

I understand the business needs, but you are in the middle on the ocean... and if a few hundred people want the internet, it is going to be slow....

Also most of the people on cruises lived happily without mobile phones and computers...

All I was saying that people in general have become too relent on the modern age of constant communication....    if you can not be out of contact for a couple of days.... maybe you should think twice about going on a cruise... if it is that important.....

So relax and take time to smell the roses... life is short

Cheers Don

48 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I understand the business needs, but you are in the middle on the ocean.....

All I was saying that people in general have become too relent on the modern age of constant communication....    if you can not be out of contact for a couple of days.... maybe you should think twice about going on a cruise... if it is that important.....

Cheers Don

I have sent my business interest up so I can cruise or be away for 30 days or more because of the internet. The internet is the reason I can be on vacation 90 plus days a year and this be able to have business.  So no thinking twice I have exactly what I want which involves  never going more than a few hours without checking in.

8 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Yes but they do not give you the top level internet when they give free minutes for Platinum and Elites. The paid interest is much better, having used both free minutes and paid saw a big difference. 

Sir, I would think a Boston educated MBA and law professional such as yourself would know better than to extrapolate, based on a couple of subjective experiences, a claim that Princess operates a multi-tier Internet scheme for the passengers.

What kind of test did you do to determine paid internet is better than the free Platinum and Elite internet? Was it a double-blind test performed using software tools to measure the throughput? Were the two tests performed simultaneously to make sure the overall loading conditions caused by all other passengers were identical?

Personally, I have experienced good and bad throughput with Princess Internet. I've found it depends more on where on the globe the ship is located and more importantly, how many users are sharing the limited bandwidth. Port days when most passengers are off the ship seem to get you the best throughput. Late at night is typically a good time for throughput, mornings are mostly bad.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Sir, I would think a Boston educated MBA and law professional such as yourself would know better than to extrapolate, based on a couple of subjective experiences, a claim that Princess operates a multi-tier Internet scheme for the passengers.

What kind of test did you do to determine paid internet is better than the free Platinum and Elite internet? Was it a double-blind test performed using software tools to measure the throughput? Were the two tests performed simultaneously to make sure the overall loading conditions caused by all other passengers were identical?

Personally, I have experienced good and bad throughput with Princess Internet. I've found it depends more on where on the globe the ship is located and more importantly, how many users are sharing the limited bandwidth. Port days when most passengers are off the ship seem to get you the best throughput. Late at night is typically a good time for throughput, mornings are mostly bad.

No need to run any tests just ask the Internet Manager on the ship or the IT Officer both will tell you the answer.  But I have used both side by side on 2 Galaxy Note 9 one with a package and one with Platinum Elite minutes, downloaded  the same information..... paid internet much faster than Platinum Elite minutes. But thank you for your concern. 

How about this you keep doing what you think works and I will do the same. 

I will be sailing on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas in June. I purchased Voom surf and stream for $10 a day. It’s unlimited. On a 9 day cruise it only comes to $90. Which is far less than what I paid for 150 minutes in the past on Princess. Apparently you can stream movies and FaceTime with their service. I look forward to testing it out. Princess drawers an older demographic who toss their flip phones in the safe the minute they board and with all the platinum and elite free minutes WiFi probably isn’t a priority investment for them.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Iamcruizin,  If you sail the Princess ships that have medallion net wifi; currently there are four ships with this service;  you can stream netflix and such.  the cost is $59.99 for seven day cruise.  I used this service on my feb cruise.  I was able to stream our Sunday church service back home with no buffering.  Happy Easter

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Iamcruizin,  If you sail the Princess ships that have medallion net wifi; currently there are four ships with this service;  you can stream netflix and such.  the cost is $59.99 for seven day cruise.  I used this service on my feb cruise.  I was able to stream our Sunday church service back home with no buffering.  Happy Easter

Thank you. I haven’t been on Princess in a few years. Good to hear this. Technology is becoming more important these days. Even my 86 year old father uses You Tube instructional videos. I can’t get him to give up his flip phone though.

Happy Easter 

7 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

For a long time, I had a sick parent at home. I could not travel unless I could check in at home daily. Remember - everyone has different situations. Not everyone can disconnect and go on vacation with out contact from home.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

It is a Princess filter in place to control in part information flowing off the ships. Many of the sites blocked use a great amount of bandwidth, those are blocked to allow Princess to offer services with less total bandwidth and save money. Some sites are block becasue know to involve illegal activities, others becasue these have done things against Princess or can effect the cruise line.  It is but no means a standard filter. But many lines do these same actions, it is not just Princess. Again if you use a VPN.

VPN Virtual Private Network sets up a  private network across a public network or the network you are using, and enables you to send and receive data without the host net work knowing what it is. Can be used on laptop, desktop, smartphone giving the user functioning use without blocking, security, and management of the private network. Most are also Encrypted for added safety.

Also, Firefox Focus for smartphones is a very private internet browser and I've been able to view blocked sites on many different networks with it.  Quite fast as well. 

I have used internet paid and as an Elite and I can visible tell no difference in the speeds.......will check with internet manager on our upcoming cruise....I can see no reason why Princess would want to give its Platinum and Elite passengers a downgraded internet experience?

Edited by PrincessLuver

I've not been able to tell the difference either between paid internet and the free minutes.  That's the first I've heard of them doing something like that.  It all really depends on the ship what your speed is like.  If you need to be connected (and some of us really do), then go with one of the Royal Class ships.

I think the problem may be an Emerald Princess problem. We were on the Emerald first two weeks of January this year. hardly able to get on at all. Most days it was totally down. This was Hawaii cruise. Even when we were in port (and still on the ship, I couldn't get on or took forever to connect.Used up our 250 minutes each quickly.

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I think the problem may be an Emerald Princess problem. We were on the Emerald first two weeks of January this year. hardly able to get on at all. Most days it was totally down. This was Hawaii cruise. Even when we were in port (and still on the ship, I couldn't get on or took forever to connect.Used up our 250 minutes each quickly.

Yes there is something unusual on the Emerald Princess about their internet.

On other ships now you can actually purchase "super fast" internet speeds that are designed for streaming and movie watching. Diamond Princess has these high speeds. I believe in 2016 they trialled it as the gift for elites and when I had it I had staff asking me a lot of questions about how the speed was. It was so fast that I was really impressed and had the ability to send high resolution photos home in seconds.

How many other Cruise Lines provide Internet Service tou you Gratis?

At any speed your Cost Basis is the Best on Princess ..eh..

If problems occur wait till a service agent is on duty as that way they may be able to creit your minutes back and EXPLAIN how best to make acceess and LOGGING Off better.

On a few cruises I did have a problem in my portfolios .. but alas it was from the entries too.. Trading if I have to I use my SAT. Phone. Yes having Plans A, B, C, d etc..

Walking down the GangPlank one time a firms Board  had declared a lowered Dividend as per the Worlds Largest Tornado. Having not much choice I held and Gained well in the Longer Term eh..

3 minutes ago, AAAAmerican said:

How many other Cruise Lines provide Internet Service tou you Gratis?

At any speed your Cost Basis is the Best on Princess ..eh..

I wouldn't mind spending money on internet if it was quality internet. I think it is awful that Princess sells internet and it is crappy. They should be embarrassed about this (it is a cash cow) and refund people when it simply doesn't work. Instead - they can act like jerks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

I wouldn't mind spending money on internet if it was quality internet. I think it is awful that Princess sells internet and it is crappy. They should be embarrassed about this (it is a cash cow) and refund people when it simply doesn't work. Instead - they can act like jerks.

Dear Coral,

Awesome provide your own access on Princess ships.Expense is high, your time to use is limited as well,  but youre choice on Sat.

If your a Shareholder talk about this at an Annual Meeting.

If not a CCL :NYSE LSE CUK :NYSE , BUY a Block of Common Stock and make your points well known.