Southern Carribean vs Mexican Riviera??

Ohhhhh that’s a tough one & same decision we had to make last yr when booking ours.  We went with Horizon & actually just got back Monday.  Can’t go wrong with the ship.  She’s a beauty.   Not sure when you are planning on going but the weather was perfect every day.  No overcast days, windy & warm, not stifling hot as is the case in summer.   Water was beautiful at each stop.   Let us know what you decide. 

59 minutes ago, carlissaandisaacsmommy said:

Planning an adult only anniversary celebration for next year. We’ve always done eastern and western carribean, but for the same price with flights, we can do the Mexican Riviera. What would you choose and why? Southern would be on Horizon and Mexican Riviera would be on Panorama. Thanks!

Southern Caribbean as you go to more countries in more amount of days. 

• Like 1

I'm a native So Californian. My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon on a land vacation back in 1988 in Puerto Vallarta. We've been going back to various destinations in Mexico on land/cruise vacations since that time.   🌅

We've also been going to the Caribbean Islands, and sorry Mexico, but the blue clear waters of the Caribbean ....!  So, FOR a cruise: Caribbean 🏝🛳

🌸🌸 Bobbi

I'm a West Coast person who loves visiting Mexico. However, the pacific ocean is deep, dark blue, and cold. Even on a cruise, sailing along the coast, the temps are cold until you get south of San Diego.

Caribbean cruise anytime and everytime for me.

This isn't a difficult decision at all.  The Mex. Riv. is dead last on our standard 7 day vacation itinerary choices.  Did it once.  Might do it again but only as a matter of price and convenience.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I'm a West Coast person who loves visiting Mexico. However, the pacific ocean is deep, dark blue, and cold. Even on a cruise, sailing along the coast, the temps are cold until you get south of San Diego.

Caribbean cruise anytime and everytime for me.

Yeah, there's a reason Cali folks take redeye flights 3 time zones away to catch a ship when there's one an hour away by car.  Look, the Mexican Rivera is fine.  We had a good time.  But it's a 'locals' cruise if plane travel is involved.

Here's another analogy.  I live in Chicago.  If I'm going on a skiing vacation I fly to Colorado or Utah or maybe even a coastal destination out west.  I don't fly to New Hampshire. 

We chose to do the Mexican Riviera for a NYE cruise because we have already been to all the Caribbean ports available at that time and we wanted to try a new ship (Panorama). 

We did a southern cruise in 2017 and it was fantastic. We really liked Curaçao and contemplated going back for a land vacation. 

Enjoy yourself whatever you decide!

13 hours ago, carlissaandisaacsmommy said:

Planning an adult only anniversary celebration for next year. We’ve always done eastern and western carribean, but for the same price with flights, we can do the Mexican Riviera. What would you choose and why? Southern would be on Horizon and Mexican Riviera would be on Panorama. Thanks!

I wouldn't do a Mexican Riviera until at least May. It can be cool or even cold the first day out of LA the first day and the last day of the trip. We came off the Panama Canal cruise last week and it was pretty chilly the last day coming in. The ports were warm but before May the whether can be unpredictable still out of California. I enjoy both sides of the water and think Cabo and such are very nice and very different.  

I've done the Mexican Riviera itinerary four times (with two more booked) and two Caribbean (western and exotic southern) and they are very different.  

Oceans - the Pacific is not the clear, crystal blue of the southern Atlantic or Caribbean.  Depending on what time of year you cruise the Pacific can be a bit rough on the two northbound sea days.  We've done that itinerary in December and March and heading south was smooth, north was rougher.  In fact, on one trip they closed the pools for a day.  It is smoother in the summer months.

However, if you like sitting on your balcony, beverage in hand watching the world go by, I think there is more to see on the Pacific side.  You will usually be able to see the coast from the ship.  I have seen more ocean critters from the Pacific from whales, dolphins, rays and I swear it was a shark, versus none on either Caribbean cruise.  One of my favorite things is getting a port side balcony and being out there the morning you sail in to Cabo and head around Land's End.   Photos below.  The Sea of Cortez is clearer and smoother than the Pacific.

Ports - Cabo is very pretty and is a tender port.  Not a big fan of Mazatlan but we have had fun there.  I love PV - even if it's to walk around town to shop and eat, some really great romantic restaurant there.  As far as safety, so long as you stay in town or on a Carnival or reputable tour providers excursion (we loved King David Tours in Mazatlan) you will be fine.

We have also enjoyed all the Caribbean ports we've been to as well - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Panama, Belize and Costa Rica.  Never was disappointed in any port.

Other considerations- if you've never been to California then why not extend your trip a few days and see what LA has to offer?

cruise 099 (2016_10_13 23_20_19 UTC).jpg

cruise 100 (2016_10_13 23_20_19 UTC).jpg

I only do Mexican Riviera because I hate humidity. Not sure if I would be able to do a cruise in a humid climate. I hear the water is so much nicer but the humidity though...

For me personally the choice would be based on the time of year. In other words, I would choose the Horizon if I could book it during a non-hurricane, un-humid time of year. Is there such a time frame and if so would it fit your schedule?  

I have done both and while we enjoyed the Mexican Riviera cruise, I don't know that we'd do it again. The one plus on that itinerary is the brand new ship, Panorama. But the Horizon is still very new itself so not sure that is much of a bonus! 

I agree with others that the weather is much cooler out of Long Beach until you get further south. We went in early October and our first sea day we were bundled up in sweat shirts and covered up with towels on the Lido deck during the afternoon. We did see more sea life on that cruise as several times we saw pods of dolphins swimming along the ship. Also not sure where you are flying in from, but we came from Cincinnati (East Coast time zone) and the time difference was rough for us. I just never felt like I fully adjusted. This was also the only cruise where we switched time zones while ON the boat. Before we got to Cabo, we flipped forward an hour and then back to Pacific time when we headed back to Cali. All the time changing had my body clock messed up! Plus the longer flights made for much longer travel days esp. on the return when we had a red-eye (we did it to ourselves, but it still sucked! lol). 

I would definitely go with the Southern itinerary! You won't regret it! 

What time of year are you seeking to cruise and what’s your home city?

We’ve done S Carib 2x on Vista, 8 days each time and MX Riv 4 times in 4 different seasons. I’ll offer pros and cons based on your reply. 

Both are are unique and deliver very different experiences.