Don't drink the water?

Judyrem

We  first went to Mexico in the 80's and picked up some Montezuma's revenge. We did many more trips to Mexico and I guess we became used to the different bugs.😳

I am returning to Mexico specifically Costa Maya and Cozumel after more then 20 years.  Should I worry about the water and ice on or port days?👀

50 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

We  first went to Mexico in the 80's and picked up some Montezuma's revenge. We did many more trips to Mexico and I guess we became used to the different bugs.😳

I am returning to Mexico specifically Costa Maya and Cozumel after more then 20 years.  Should I worry about the water and ice on or port days?👀

I never drink the water in port.  I carry bottled water from the ship (well, my personal, refillable water bottle, filled with ship's water).

• Like 1

I had heard that many,if not all, of the resort cities treat their water to the standards we are used to, as sick tourists is not something they want to be known for.  Now, away from resort areas, I would be ore cautious.  Never had a problem with water in Cozumel

• Like 1

Excellent news  I loved Cozumel when we went there for diving years ago..  I am  rather concerned with the salads, peeled fruits etc..  Do you think Costa Maya and Roatan are safe too?

I agree that sick tourists are not a good thing for their businesses.👀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Is that you become "used" to the different bugs or the locations improved water purification?  Most resort areas have potable water but if you are in doubt then stick with bad water protocol.  Bottled water, no salads, no ice, no peeled fruit. There's no point in getting sick on a vacation.   

• Like 2

we've been to Cozumel and Costa Maya several times. Blue Kay in Costa Maya is our go-to place. Had numerous drinks there without any problems. Tried different venues in Cozumel, but only had drinks at the Money bar and Playa Palancar. Didn't have any problems. Drinks at Playa Palancar were more delicious than Money bar (namely, a frozen mango margarita).

Playa Palancar had the funkiest straws - brown with crackles in them, so at a first glance they looked like they were sitting out in the elements for a couple of months... But, no, they were new. Just funky.

Other than these beach locations we definitely avoid drinking in Mexico. We don't eat ashore.

• Like 1

In Mexico I stick with bottled sodas and beer.  I'm not worried about the food in Mexico - as long as the place is busy. I choose the outdoor taco stand with a line of people stretching down the sidewalk over the beautiful, empty restaurant.  The locals don't want food poisoning any more than the tourists do.

• Like 1

We are doing Chankannab and a dolphin swim, they include a buffet and I am rather  concerned about it.

We are doing Jaimie's Bleu Reef on Costa Maya and I read they use filtered water there.  I really am more concerned for my 10 year old granddaughter's health.

3 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I choose the outdoor taco stand with a line of people stretching down the sidewalk over the beautiful, empty restaurant.  The locals don't want food poisoning any more than the tourists do.

maybe, the locals simply cannot afford the beautiful restaurant... instead of avoiding it because it serves tainted food/drinks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Judyrem said:

We are doing Chankannab and a dolphin swim, they include a buffet and I am rather  concerned about it.

Typically, excursions that include a meal are pretty safe.  They really don't want to make people sick as it will affect their ability to sell their product.

• Like 2

I've never had a problem in Mexico although I don't think I've had anything other than bottled water off the resorts. I'm sure you would be fine but it really puts a damper on the rest of the vacation if you get sick. I'd stick to bottles off the ship, just in case.

• Like 1

Just now, agibeault said:

I've never had a problem in Mexico although I don't think I've had anything other than bottled water off the resorts. I'm sure you would be fine but it really puts a damper on the rest of the vacation if you get sick. I'd stick to bottles off the ship, just in case.

Oh yes I did have some food on excursions now that I think of it! It was in the Cozumel area, we were totally fine. Drank homemade rum punch and ate the food they served. Honestly I've never been sick in Mexico and I've been sick almost every other place I've been in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, A2Mich said:

I had heard that many,if not all, of the resort cities treat their water to the standards we are used to, as sick tourists is not something they want to be known for.  Now, away from resort areas, I would be ore cautious.  Never had a problem with water in Cozumel

The problem is that how well do they maintain their treatment system and the entire pipe system.

There was one case of a number of ecoli fatalities, that was finally tracked to a failed treatment system on one of the 3 wells that served the community.  And this was in the US.

Many countries have old and poorly maintained piping systems, that allow contaminated ground water to seep into the pipes.  And not just 3rd world countries.

In many resort areas, the individual hotels have treatment facilities.  But a restaurant/bar down the road may or may not be safe.

• Like 1

You can easily find bottled water, along with sodas and beer at any port in Mexico and they are very inexpensive ($1-2). We had an excursion on a small boat for snorkeling in Roatan that included the food and drink. We had decided to wait, not eat on the boat and eat when we returned to the ship. The food was in catering trays and we couldn't resist. The food was delicious and we had no problems afterwards. We've had food in the bars in Cozumel with no problems.

Edited by griffy116
grammar
  • Like 1

I helped a friend move south of Puerto Vallarta years ago. A week driving Mexican roads, eating at random places, staying in various hotels. No stomach troubles at all. Eat where it's busy. Don't drink water out of the tap. And enjoy yourself. Mexico is a fantastic country.

• Like 1

twice in last 20 years had issues in ports - one MX and another time in St Martin

attributed both after much review to can/bottle bought at a 'small place' where it might have been dirty and we had not been careful about wiping the top b4 drinking from the container .....

we're much more careful about that now

in Coz and Costa if you stick to the resort areas and drink at the 'big bars' it may be cleaner water and ice then you get at home!  The most common health violations in US restaurants are mold in ice machines and soda fountains/guns . . . 

• Like 1