Change sail date after final payment??

I know it’s a longshot, but I’m hoping for a miracle! Please tell me it’s possible without paying a boatload of money to Royal! 

Husband and I have cruised with Royal 2 times before, we always cruise around the same every year (May/June) because we have set work schedules (or so we thought) with pre-planned vacation time. This year, we’re booked for Symphony of the Seas. 

Now an emergency arises at my husband’s place of work and they are requiring him to come in - RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR CRUISE - with his boss simply saying “Just have it moved to the week before”. 

The problem is, it’s after final payment. We don’t mind paying more for an upgraded stateroom (we’ll move to a balcony which is around ~300 more) and we’ll pay it! 

Spoke to a couple of representatives and one supervisor and they are saying it’s considered a cancellation, which would cause us to lose ~75% of what we paid. I told them if we cancel we won’t rebook! Would they seriously rather lose upwards of ~$600 to cancel us, rather than move us and gain 300 on top of what we already paid!? Please help! 

Unfortunately those are the rules all passengers agree to, and what you'll get on any other cruise line as well. Changing from one cruise to a different cruise involves cancelling the first cruise, which as you noted will cost you 75%, per the cancellation policy you agreed to. As for "why" the cruise companies do it this way, there are a few things to keep in mind, but the main thing is if this policy wasn't in place people could easily game the system. Oh, it's past final payment? Let me move my reservation two months in the future. Now that new reservation is outside of final payment so I can just cancel it for a full refund. They could add systems to check for the "original" reservation, but then that can cause a wide variety of issues as well.

Ultimately, they have a clear cut cancellation policy that spells out what happens if you make changes to a cruise past final payment date. 

Do you have travel insurance with cancel for work reason coverage? We always get it for this exact scenario. If you have insurance with cancel for work reasons just file a claim with proof from your husband's work that his leave was rescinded and they'll pay out the cancellation fee.

• Like 4

They are not losing $600.  They are gaining the 75% of what you paid for the cruise and they will sell your cabin at most likely more than you paid for it.

Sorry but they won’t let you switch.  Check to see if your credit card offered insurance. 

25 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Unfortunately those are the rules all passengers agree to, and what you'll get on any other cruise line as well. Changing from one cruise to a different cruise involves cancelling the first cruise, which as you noted will cost you 75%, per the cancellation policy you agreed to. As for "why" the cruise companies do it this way, there are a few things to keep in mind, but the main thing is if this policy wasn't in place people could easily game the system. Oh, it's past final payment? Let me move my reservation two months in the future. Now that new reservation is outside of final payment so I can just cancel it for a full refund. They could add systems to check for the "original" reservation, but then that can cause a wide variety of issues as well.

Ultimately, they have a clear cut cancellation policy that spells out what happens if you make changes to a cruise past final payment date. 

Do you have travel insurance with cancel for work reason coverage? We always get it for this exact scenario. If you have insurance with cancel for work reasons just file a claim with proof from your husband's work that his leave was rescinded and they'll pay out the cancellation fee.

I get what you're saying, but it stinks when you're one of the honest people with an honest problem. 

Unfortunately, didn't get travel insurance. But next year, I'm definitely getting it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SCruiseFam said:

I get what you're saying, but it stinks when you're one of the honest people with an honest problem. 

Unfortunately, didn't get travel insurance. But next year, I'm definitely getting it. 

I definitely agree, and honestly I do wish the cruise lines would be a bit more understanding and flexible; but I do understand where they are coming from. Having a set policy in place and enforced generally makes things smoother for everybody.

For insurance, just make sure you double check it has what you need; many policies don't include cancel for work reasons. My husband works for the federal government, and if there's a shutdown all leave is cancelled. After a scare with the shutdown in 2013 we started making sure to have insurance with work reason cancellation.

If it was me in this situation I'd go in the cruise, and let the chips fall where they may. I had a boss once that reneged on time off that I asked for and had got. I took the time anyway. Of course I got fired BUT still got unemployment because of the facts that I had the original permission to take off.

• Like 1

I've got the Diamond Plus desk to switch me from Oasis to Allure after final payment, and without penalty. The sailing dates were a day apart... it was about 4 years ago too so not sure how successful I'd be today. I had to go through a couple reps and supervisors before I found someone to do it but I got it done.  Have a good reason to switch ready, be very nice and it's possible.

• Like 1

It's time to politely explain to the boss that the vacation cannot be moved without significant financial consequences.

I would be saying to the boss - "I would be happy to come in, but I need the company to cut me a check for the loss I will suffer in not being able to take this pre-planned and paid-for vacation.".

• Like 19

5 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

I know it’s a longshot, but I’m hoping for a miracle! Please tell me it’s possible without paying a boatload of money to Royal! 

Husband and I have cruised with Royal 2 times before, we always cruise around the same every year (May/June) because we have set work schedules (or so we thought) with pre-planned vacation time. This year, we’re booked for Symphony of the Seas. 

Now an emergency arises at my husband’s place of work and they are requiring him to come in - RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR CRUISE - with his boss simply saying “Just have it moved to the week before”. 

The problem is, it’s after final payment. We don’t mind paying more for an upgraded stateroom (we’ll move to a balcony which is around ~300 more) and we’ll pay it! 

Spoke to a couple of representatives and one supervisor and they are saying it’s considered a cancellation, which would cause us to lose ~75% of what we paid. I told them if we cancel we won’t rebook! Would they seriously rather lose upwards of ~$600 to cancel us, rather than move us and gain 300 on top of what we already paid!? Please help! 

An excellent compromise is "Sure I'll change my date during the planned vacation but please cover all the damages'. You can either accept to change the date  or just tell the boss sorry please find someone else not on vacation. The least your husband can do if he is a long time employee or not is ask for any damages for airfare, non refundable purchases etc.

Sorry Royal will not just let you change the cruise let alone the airlines without a repricing and as with the airline a change fee plus fare difference.  If you have Travel Insurance with Cancel For Any Reason or Change Fees covered perhaps it may  be covered but as its work related and not really a Delay I am not sure how this will affect it as you want to go earlier.

For me its a bit too late for a company to say"oops we need you" during a previously scheduled vacation. I would hope they would find a backup. At the very least see if they will cover your Husband's VOOM Internet Package and bill hours as time and a half for any work done during vacation plus a bonus paid time off during a slower season.

Don't let your husband's company win this change. Sure I'm happy to alter plans but not at my expense especially on my paid hard earned vacation time. If they want to fire your husband you could sue for damages.

Just my 2 cents. Perhaps others have other info but for me why would I incur more funds to change something that is not my fault? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

If it was me in this situation I'd go in the cruise, and let the chips fall where they may. I had a boss once that reneged on time off that I asked for and had got. I took the time anyway. Of course I got fired BUT still got unemployment because of the facts that I had the original permission to take off.

I would be on the phone with HR telling them that either you pay for damages or let me take the vacation as planned. If they fired me I would say "See you in Court" and not work for that sorry company again. I would sue for more and use those funds for a long well-earned vacation and then look for work afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I would be on the phone with HR telling them that either you pay for damages or let me take the vacation as planned. If they fired me I would say "See you in Court" and not work for that sorry company again. I would sue for more and use those funds for a long well-earned vacation and then look for work afterwards. On my resume I would state "Terminated due to  circumstances beyond my control due to employer breach of contract for previously approved vacation time".

2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

Just my 2 cents.

Reading everyone's comments and all of our frustration moved from Royal not changing the sail date to "Yeah! We shouldn't have to change the sail date!". It's last minute and stressful. 

We're currently thinking of a way to kindly say "NOPE! I'm going on vacation". Essentially, we're leaving on our pre-planned vacation date and thats-that. 

I really do appreciate everyone's response. Our families don't cruise and thus don't understand all the logistics, so my ranting was being met with a lot of "RCCL is wrong, there has to be a way!" 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, SCruiseFam said:

Reading everyone's comments and all of our frustration moved from Royal not changing the sail date to "Yeah! We shouldn't have to change the sail date!". It's last minute and stressful. 

We're currently thinking of a way to kindly say "NOPE! I'm going on vacation". Essentially, we're leaving on our pre-planned vacation date and thats-that. 

I really do appreciate everyone's response. Our families don't cruise and thus don't understand all the logistics, so my ranting was being met with a lot of "RCCL is wrong, there has to be a way!" 

Just say "No I am sorry but we have a prior celebration planned on the cruise for those dates including a wedding" . You do not have to prove anything. Once my flight was delayed and I mentioned that "I am attending a wedding of a Cousin" they switched me to the next available departure in First Class with no questions asked. Just a "Enjoy your wedding'". Sometimes you have to tell  a lie that is plausible in order to get what you need. Your husband's company is trying to pull a fast one so you meet it half way with your alibi! Wedding always works! 

I am not saying to always lie but in this situation you really do need to be on that cruise. The company does not know the finances involved and if they try to fire your husband then you know where their priorities are. 

Please let us know how this wedding reason works for the exact vacation dates! I am 99 percent sure the boss will apologize and let you all go on vacation with no further questions and perhaps some bonus or something to make up for the stress.

This suggestion above is an old tried and true Tourism  insider tip to be pushed to the next flight with priority so whether it being going on a cruise, a real wedding or just a way to get home for a meeting quickly it works. Airlines are the ones causing the delay other than weather so you can push your way to the next available flight perhaps with an upgrade thrown in gratis.

I am sure the boss has taken time off for an event like a wedding or a funeral. Just think how it would feel to be told "Sorry you can't go to your Mother's funeral because we need you". 

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 1

That's terrible that his employer reneged on his vacation. I would go on vacation anyway. There's no one else that can do what he does at his place of employment? I call hogwash. 

1 minute ago, cynt said:

That's terrible that his employer reneged on his vacation. I would go on vacation anyway. There's no one else that can do what he does at his place of employment? I call hogwash. 

Exactly! Just go as planned and deal with any of the issues later when you return.

45 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I would be on the phone with HR telling them that either you pay for damages or let me take the vacation as planned. If they fired me I would say "See you in Court" and not work for that sorry company again. I would sue for more and use those funds for a long well-earned vacation and then look for work afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

That's exactly what I would do. I think they're just trying to bully him into coming in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

.... well that story didn't end as I had expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That's exactly what I would do. I think they're just trying to bully him into coming in.

If its a Fortune 500 or small company couldn't they just ask an Intern to take the extra shift? Or find someone to do so. It should have never come down to that because they have a calendar including HR that shows who is  on vacation, sick leave, disability. They should have never had to call your husband.

Is your husband God and he is the only one that can perform the duties that they need him to perform while on vacation?  Why at the last minute? Are they behind on a project and need someone to help them fix issues? Is there  a layoff looming? Something just does not sound right. 

I don 't give a rats patoot the reason for my vacation. I'm on vacation and no questions asked. It was approved by the boss and his superior and HR knows about it. There is a real reason behind this and I hope your Husband gets to the bototom of this.  

Perhaps his boss can  purchase your Ultimate Drink Package and Rereshment Package for the kids for causing stress plus some OBC.  If its too late to purchase OBC/Package write you a hefty check to cover this or something else very special. It would be  less than a days work if your Husband works for a company with lots of assets! 

Just the stress alone calls for some compensation. Don't let this one go.

If  I have been of help you can thank me later but please Pay it Forward! I really hope you can take my suggestions and see the outcome . I hope the company has a heart to see that its not only affecting your husband but kids. No one messes around with disappointing kids in my book!

Edited by travelplus

1 hour ago, SCruiseFam said:

Perhaps presenting receipts and asking the boss to have the company refund all the non-refundable amounts would help him understand the severe financial penalty he is demanding.

• Like 1

I strongly suggest that you NOT lie.  

Wondering why the cruise lines enforce their policies?

BECAUSE PEOPLE LIE.

That having been said, if this so-called work reason that your spouse is "needed" is "right in the middle of your cruise", then delaying his availability is only four days at most.  I cannot imagine that the company cannot either cover the "thing" with someone else, or wait four days for his return.

I agree with telling the employer that the only way that you can comply with their sudden change of heart is if the company pays all financial losses that you would incur.

• Like 3

Years ago my company was going through some staffing issues.  My manager emailed me to let me know that she could not send me extra staff and that my assistant would just 'have to reschedule her trip'.  These people are clueless.  I quickly pulled up the HR policy about the company having to cancel preapproved vacations and sent it as an attachement to an email that said something along these lines 'while I'm sure that <name> will be upset, since the company would be responsible for all of her non-refundable costs (and she is flying to PR, with a B2B) it would probably work. Please let me know if you want me to notify her'.  Never heard another word on it - my assumption is that my boss didn't know what she was talking about and didn't realize that the company would have to cough up money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I would love to hear the ages of the people posting their opinion.

A cruise is one thing but a job means so much more, especially when you have a spouse and perhaps children.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wondered the same thing. But they should pay him back the cost of the trip if he had pre-approved leave. That is a horrible way to treat a dedicated employee.

• Like 1

While it is HIGHLY unlikely that RCI will accommodate you, ASK.  If you don't ask, they have no chance to say yes.

Just go into it with the knowledge that the answer will likely be no.

And talk to his boss.  Explain that it cannot be moved, and see if he can work around it.  Work more the week before or after.