Change sail date after final payment??

18 minutes ago, SRF said:

While it is HIGHLY unlikely that RCI will accommodate you, ASK.  If you don't ask, they have no chance to say yes.

Just go into it with the knowledge that the answer will likely be no.

And talk to his boss.  Explain that it cannot be moved, and see if he can work around it.  Work more the week before or after.  

If you read the OP they have called already and gotten a firm NO from several People at Royal.

32 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Have the boss call the cruise line and listen to himself sounding inflexible and stupid.

Love this idea. And have him call during the busiest time on a Monday morning

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelplus said:

Love this idea. And have him call during the busiest time on a Monday morning

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Have the boss call the cruise line and listen to himself sounding inflexible and stupid.

Does the CEO of the cruise line call you when they cancel a cruise you have scheduled?

14 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I would love to hear the ages of the people posting their opinion.

A cruise is one thing but a job means so much more, especially when you have a spouse and perhaps children.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My guess is some are still living in Mom and Dad’s basement apartment. This is a very real situation that could actually happen to me since people come and go like the wind here. I will say if my company wasn’t willing to pay for my losses I would say sorry I can’t help you. I would let the chips fall where they may. My company is struggling anyway so unemployment may not  be so far off anyway. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My guess is some are still living in Mom and Dad’s basement apartment. This is a very real situation that could actually happen to me since people come and go like the wind here. I will say if my company wasn’t willing to pay for my losses I would say sorry I can’t help you. I would let the chips fall where they may. My company is struggling anyway so unemployment may not  be so far off anyway. 

Agreed!  Especially as almost all states have at-will employment laws in the US so while you could quit tomorrow, they could fire you too.  Heck they could make you switch your vacation and then term you when what they "needed" you for was over.  If I worked somewhere where they were so inflexible about my vacation I'd be looking for a new job when I got back from vacation because I'm quite certain I wouldn't be bullied to stay.  Now if they could display a true need and would cover the costs, I would certainly try and make it work but they'd have to give to get.

I would tell them too bad so sad. The vacation was approved. This is a cruise and inside 90 days, there are major penalties to be paid.  Reimburse me the full cost I would lose and I will be there.  If not, I am going on the cruise.

I am 49 years old and dont live in my parents basement apartment since someone asked and another insinuated. 

Edited by ryano

15 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I would love to hear the ages of the people posting their opinion.

A cruise is one thing but a job means so much more, especially when you have a spouse and perhaps children.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm 63 yo and my incident happened in 1986 when I was 30 yo. I was not about to be bullied by this bum of a boss who knew BEFORE he HIRED me that I needed that time off and hired me anyway. I knew I was in the right, had co workers who were willing to stand up for me in court, and I had a new job within a couple of months. Was married and had a 2 yo daughter at the time. The OP's hubby needs to just not show up on the first day of his scheduled vacation and make sure he sends an e-mail to his boss as proof that he isn't quitting. And my wife agreed 100% with my decision.

Edited by WeLuvVacation
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

I'm 63 yo and my incident happened in 1986 when I was 30 yo. I was not about to be bullied by this bum of a boss. I knew I was in the right, had co workers who were willing to stand up for my in court, and I had a new job within a couple of months. Was married and had a 2 yo daughter at the time. The OP's hubby needs to just not show up on the first day of his scheduled vacation and make sure he sends an e-mail to his boss as proof that he isn't quitting. And my wife agreed 100% with my decision.

Maybe the OP's husband likes his job and doesn't want to risk losing it

• Like 1

Our problem has come to an end!

But first, to clarify, my husband's company did recently downsize and that is where the "emergency" stemmed from. It was less of an actual emergency (where he would be the only one able to handle something) and more of an issue of redistribution of duties with less staff, in which they made an emergency on my husband's end.

Anyways, he tells me he went into work, called Royal and kindly asked again if it was possible to switch sail dates. Of course, he was met with the same "No", but this time he called his boss over, told him that Royal was saying it wasn't possible without incurring the 75% cancellation fee and then re-booking. His boss attempted to give him pointers on what to say, but good ol' Royal representatives and their scripts, kept saying "No". When they got off the phone, my husband says there was a period of time where his boss visibly looked upset. But then asked him if there was anyway while we were on the cruise if he could block off an hour or two to during the days they really needed him to check in remotely. He let his boss know that wasn't possible without buying the internet package and now his company is purchasing us the internet package! 

Husband doesn't mind working a couple of hours for those couple of days, he's one of those people who tends to get stressed out if they leave work for a long period of time anyways. It's a win/win in my book.

I also wanted to say, I wish Royal adopted more a case by case approach. Could we have been lying? Of course, but why would someone lie about needing to sail earlier and having to pay MORE money? If anything, the cancellation penalty would have moved from 75% to 100% and we would have got nothing back. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

OP- fantastic! Your hubby's boss turned out to be a real cool person, wish there were more bosses out the like his!

There would be more bosses like this if there were fewer employees like the ones who posted on here. Isn’t it amazing how a little logic and niceness, working with someone instead of against them, gets results! Too many people seem to make their first response one of huffy “you can’t do that to me and I’ll just show you”.

And as a supervisor, I have had to deal with too many of these “me first” individuals. And yes, most of them would be under age 50.

2 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

Our problem has come to an end!

But first, to clarify, my husband's company did recently downsize and that is where the "emergency" stemmed from. It was less of an actual emergency (where he would be the only one able to handle something) and more of an issue of redistribution of duties with less staff, in which they made an emergency on my husband's end.

Anyways, he tells me he went into work, called Royal and kindly asked again if it was possible to switch sail dates. Of course, he was met with the same "No", but this time he called his boss over, told him that Royal was saying it wasn't possible without incurring the 75% cancellation fee and then re-booking. His boss attempted to give him pointers on what to say, but good ol' Royal representatives and their scripts, kept saying "No". When they got off the phone, my husband says there was a period of time where his boss visibly looked upset. But then asked him if there was anyway while we were on the cruise if he could block off an hour or two to during the days they really needed him to check in remotely. He let his boss know that wasn't possible without buying the internet package and now his company is purchasing us the internet package! 

Husband doesn't mind working a couple of hours for those couple of days, he's one of those people who tends to get stressed out if they leave work for a long period of time anyways. It's a win/win in my book.

I also wanted to say, I wish Royal adopted more a case by case approach. Could we have been lying? Of course, but why would someone lie about needing to sail earlier and having to pay MORE money? If anything, the cancellation penalty would have moved from 75% to 100% and we would have got nothing back. 

Great news. Also see if the company will pay your husband a time and a half for the hours he must work in addition to the internet package. 

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

There would be more bosses like this if there were fewer employees like the ones who posted on here. Isn’t it amazing how a little logic and niceness, working with someone instead of against them, gets results! Too many people seem to make their first response one of huffy “you can’t do that to me and I’ll just show you”.

And as a supervisor, I have had to deal with too many of these “me first” individuals. And yes, most of them would be under age 50.

Once you authorize a vacation it is in very bad taste to recind it. Boss should have never even put the employee in that situation. Boss has to logically realize that most monies laid out in this day and age are non refundable at some point. Boss negotiated with employee to get what the boss wanted even if the employee has to spend part of his vacation at work.

8 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

Once you authorize a vacation it is in very bad taste to recind it. Boss should have never even put the employee in that situation. Boss has to logically realize that most monies laid out in this day and age are non refundable at some point. Boss negotiated with employee to get what the boss wanted even if the employee has to spend part of his vacation at work.

Yes, it's poor taste to rescind it.  I have no problems with a company ASKING an employee to cancel vacation.  And yes, they should be willing to pay any costs related to that cancellation.  As I was reading the thread, I was wondering why not one person suggested talking to the boss about the cancellation fees.  It was all "evil employer" and "bullying".  

Here's my story... a number of years ago, I and two others were the only ones trained to use some equipment.  I moved out of that department (but was still with the company).  Six months later I was on vacation, but at home celebrating DD's birthday.  We had family in from out of town and were sitting down for dinner.  The phone rang and it was my former department head saying "we need you to come run this equipment".  "What about (other employees)?"  "They're not answering their phone.  You have to come in and do it".  

I ended up talking to the GM that night who profusely apologized for the lack of planning for the other department.  I did end up going in.  The GM ended up giving me a gift card to a higher end restaurant to take the family out to.  

14 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

I'm 63 yo and my incident happened in 1986 when I was 30 yo. I was not about to be bullied by this bum of a boss who knew BEFORE he HIRED me that I needed that time off and hired me anyway. I knew I was in the right, had co workers who were willing to stand up for me in court, and I had a new job within a couple of months. Was married and had a 2 yo daughter at the time. The OP's hubby needs to just not show up on the first day of his scheduled vacation and make sure he sends an e-mail to his boss as proof that he isn't quitting. And my wife agreed 100% with my decision.

I'm just about your age. Finding a job at 30 in 1986 is a lot different than finding a job at 58 in 2019. I lost my Job at Merrill Lynch when the market crashed in 1987. I found another one in a week. Never had to collect unemployment. We live on Long Island were it is easier to find employment than in some of the rural areas in the US. I have no idea how old the OP is or where they live but quitting a job may not be an option.

16 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

Glad your problem worked out.  Good tactic to have the boss standing there while your husband worked everything he could with Royal Caribbean.  

As for "case by case" basis...That's what cruise insurance is for.  In 2017 over 5.7 million people sailed on Royal Caribbean.  Each one had a "case."  On these boards there are always "good" reasons to cancel a cruise last minute.  Illness, unexpected death, injury, divorce, bankruptcy, jobs, etc. etc.  That's why they offer cruise insurance.   Your situation was no more worthy of special treatment than mine in 2011 when my Mom passed away.  Luckily I had cruise insurance. 

14 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Blah blah blah.   Once a vacation is approved, it is EXTREMELY unprofessional to rescind.  Im a supervisor too and I would NEVER put my employee in a situation like that, especially inside 90 days and there is non refundable monies paid out, unless of course, I would be willing to pay all penalties. Sounds like to me the boss wasnt willing to do that and compromised.   Get off your high horse already 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

As I was reading the thread, I was wondering why not one person suggested talking to the boss about the cancellation fees.  It was all "evil employer" and "bullying".  

I guess you missed a number of posts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Yes, it's poor taste to rescind it.  I have no problems with a company ASKING an employee to cancel vacation.  And yes, they should be willing to pay any costs related to that cancellation.  As I was reading the thread, I was wondering why not one person suggested talking to the boss about the cancellation fees.  It was all "evil employer" and "bullying".  

Maybe a reflection of those individuals' experiences...

8 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I mentioned it, and said I'd certainly consider if an employer considered it an emergency to the point they'd cover costs, and for an employer I love, I'm willing to go above and beyond, so for me it would really depend on the trip and the ask.  I'm glad it worked out for OP, I have needed to be flexible on being connected and have no problem doing it as I can then log those hours as work and reduce the PTO I need to take.

I don't know about you guys, but I generally do not share my vacation plans with my boss, so it is understandable that they might not know the ins and outs of my travel plans.  I see no problem with them asking if you can change your vacation, BUT once informed that you cannot (for whatever reason, provided or not) that should be the end of it.