Disappointed

ehogan

9 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

To  suggest that other people's opinions "are just not credible" is baseless, AND pompous. 

I frankly couldn't care less what you think of me. Opinions expressed without any quantitative or qualitative measures or insight are baseless and utterly worthless to anyone seeking useful information - regardless of how many dozens or hundreds of cruises the poster has taken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

I frankly couldn't care less what you think of me. Opinions expressed without any quantitative or qualitative measures or insight are baseless and utterly worthless to anyone seeking useful information - regardless of how many dozens or hundreds of cruises the poster has taken.

that is your opinion.  so by your own measurement, it is baseless and utterly worthless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, hcat said:

And Celebrity was its own cruise line with smaller ships..not a Royal C clone!

Overall, food  for us on EDGE was very good to excellent, so  experiences and opinions differ as always!

hcat - Glad to hear about the Edge, as some general reviews of the ship tend to be mixed. I totally agree - experiences and opinions always differ. The one mistake I would say in the design of the Edge is the removal of the top deck lounge with panoramic view. This will be a problem in taking a ship like this to Alaska. I think people will be disappointed. Many people don't like to stand out on the deck in the cold.   

4 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We have done 11 cruises on X, 7 on NCL and 1 on Royal

I would rate the dining as follows (100 pt scale)

90 for Celebrity

85 for Royal

80 for NCL

NCL has improved in the last couple of years.  Also, their specialty restaurants are excellent and not as expensive as Celebrity's.

4774Papa - We totally wrote off NCL (and MSC based on what I have read - which appears to be systemic problems within that line). When we took the NCL ship they were basically forcing you into the Specialty Restaurants, because the food and service in the main dining room was so poor. I will continue to monitor them, but I don't think they are for us. When we went to formal night years ago on the NCL ship -- the people were dressed for dinner like they just got off the beach - we were embarrassed that we were dressed in tuxes. I will say the stateroom and entertainment were excellent. Everyone has different experiences and tastes.

Celebrity has gotten much more expensive lately - but I usually work to get 30-40% off on the Specialty Restaurants.   

Happy Sailing!!!😊  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Good PHS scores and Coast Guard scores are great.  But it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of cuisine other than protecting us from illness to the storage, prep and serving of food.  So a lousy cut of stew meat passes muster just like the highest quality Wagyu Beef (which you will not find on Celebrity).   When we started cruising on Celebrity in the early 90s (the Meridian was our first X ship) the quality, variety and quantity of food was among the best in the entire industry.  Celebrity built much of their early reputation on their cuisine.  But now, what we get is but a mere shadow of what existed in the past.  For many years the mass market lines cut-back on quantity (in some ways that was a good thing) but Celebrity managed to maintain fantastic quality and prep.  But even that seems to have disappeared under the current management.  We still think that Murano (on the ships that have this venue) is one of the best eating venues at sea.  But everywhere else we now expect something less than we used to get on even Carnival!

Hank

Well said. I agree 100%

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, twodaywonder said:

What I do not understand is that the food quality and grade on Royal ships are far better than the upscale Celebrity ships. Every Royal ship we have been on had excellent food. Every Celebrity ship we have sailed on had good to below average food. That is my experience. What about you? I am not talking about the Specialty restaurants.

Deleted

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

twoday, in January this year we did back-to-back on Harmony and then on Edge out of FLL.  I agree that the food on Harmony was very good as was the food on Edge.  About equal in my opinion.  I felt the large number of people on Harmony was a reason that the service on Harmony was below the service on Edge.  Love both ships.  I know you hated Edge.

I think what we hated most was the hype and then it did not deliver. Everything on the Harmony blew away the EDGE especially the shows. Central park was beautiful and relaxing in the evening. There is no comparison. Totally two different ships.

6 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Well said. I agree 100%

We are soon (2 weeks) venturing onto a M Class vessel and have our fingers crossed that Celebrity has started to swing back to its old self.  For many years I have thought that cruise lines were almost like pendulums in that management tries to cut back on many things to enhance the bottom line, gets some push-back from their customers, and eventually implements improvements.  Some recent posts give me hope that X has hit bottom and on their way back....but then we see other posts to the contrary.  So we booked this last minute cruise to have some fun and update our personal experience with the line.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richsea said:

PLEASE, give it a break. It’s tiresome.

You seemed to be having a ball the other day.  What's changed?  I guess flaming only goes one direction for some loyalists, the difference between pleasure and pain.  Hang in there, your doing fine.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Orator said:

something might have happened on the April 17th cruise that we don't know about. I can only speculate, but many crew changes took place and this included the kitchen staff.

Did you see a difference in the food on the Apr 29 cruise as compared to Apr 17?  We thought the dinners in Blu on the 29th sailing were excellent.  We had Filet Mignon one night and it was outstanding and perfectly cooked for us (medium rare).  I have told people many times not to miss the Short ribs in Blu.  Well, we missed them this time, because they were not on the menu.  They served 3 tiny little bits of Short ribs as an appetizer one night and that is all we saw.  We did notice there were hardly any vegetables on the plates but you could ask for a separate bowl of mixed veggies and they were delicious.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

Edited by TeaBag

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

Did you see a difference in the food on the Apr 29 cruise as compared to Apr 17?  We thought the dinners in Blu on the 29th sailing were excellent.  We had Filet Mignon one night and it was outstanding and perfectly cooked for us (medium rare).  I have told people many times not to miss the Short ribs in Blu.  Well, we missed them this time, because they were not on the menu.  They served 3 tiny little bits of Short ribs as an appetizer one night and that is all we saw.  We did notice there were hardly any vegetables on the plates but you could ask for a separate bowl of mixed veggies and they were delicious.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

There was a sharp difference to me. Food greatly improved on the second cruise. That's why I suspect an underlying problem that we don't know about. I wish that they would add screen names to the name tags used for the Cruise Critic gatherings, or provide space for one to add it, so that we can meet people who we really want to meet. After so many years of posting I was looking forward to meeting you and some others.

4 hours ago, Orator said:

Not an excuse, but something might have happened on the April 17th cruise that we don't know about. I can only speculate, but many crew changes took place and this included the kitchen staff. I've been on cruises when shortages occurred due to shipment errors. On one Japan cruise shortages were caused by the Executive Chef refusing delivery of sub standard product. 

I wonder whether where the food supplies are sourced is part of the issue.  I'm sure there are specs for each product but the quality of beef, for example, might vary from supplier to supplier and from port to port.

1 minute ago, Tomato53 said:

I wonder whether where the food supplies are sourced is part of the issue.  I'm sure there are specs for each product but the quality of beef, for example, might vary from supplier to supplier and from port to port.

Really don't know. I do know that the Executive Chef on the Millennium for my Japan cruise told me that he had rejected lots of produce. The first three pallets were good, but rotten fruit was buried in the stacks. He rejected the entire delivery and recommended a change of supplier. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We are soon (2 weeks) venturing onto a M Class vessel and have our fingers crossed that Celebrity has started to swing back to its old self.  For many years I have thought that cruise lines were almost like pendulums in that management tries to cut back on many things to enhance the bottom line, gets some push-back from their customers, and eventually implements improvements.  Some recent posts give me hope that X has hit bottom and on their way back....but then we see other posts to the contrary.  So we booked this last minute cruise to have some fun and update our personal experience with the line.

Hank

We spent 3 weeks on Eclipse, one night in Vancouver and then boarded Millennium. Will be onboard Millennium for 2 weeks. Having the same issues food wise as on Eclipse.

Just now, TommyD3 said:

We spent 3 weeks on Eclipse, one night in Vancouver and then boarded Millennium. Will be onboard Millennium for 2 weeks. Having the same issues food wise as on Eclipse.

Perhaps they used the same supplier in Vancouver? If it  is, they need to change. The first cruise on Eclipse loaded supplies in Vancouver and Millie most probably was resupplied after their Transpacific also in Vancouver. Hope you and the gang have great Alaskan cruises.

13 minutes ago, Orator said:

There was a sharp difference to me. Food greatly improved on the second cruise. That's why I suspect an underlying problem that we don't know about. I wish that they would add screen names to the name tags used for the Cruise Critic gatherings, or provide space for one to add it, so that we can meet people who we really want to meet. After so many years of posting I was looking forward to meeting you and some others.

I agree that screen names are vital on the name tags.  After all, that is the only name we recognize.  Once again, we did not get an invitation but we found out when the connections party was.  I don't think Cellarmasters is the right venue.  It is too constricted and people are reluctant to move around.  Apology to all for this little off topic bit.

I did mention the cold food on my survey and the waffles piled on top of one another fresh from the waffle iron and carted off somewhere to be kept lukewarm while they go soggy.  I saw this happening.  I think it was you, Orator, who suggested asking for "fresh off the iron" ones.  I did that one day and they were fantastic but they do not welcome that request.  We are just a little worried as we are booked for 30 days on Eclipse next March.  I do hope things get better and stay better.

15 minutes ago, Orator said:

Perhaps they used the same supplier in Vancouver? If it  is, they need to change. The first cruise on Eclipse loaded supplies in Vancouver and Millie most probably was resupplied after their Transpacific also in Vancouver. Hope you and the gang have great Alaskan cruises.

A large part of the problem is the menu changes we saw onboard Eclipse were not implemented onboard Millennium until we arrived in Vancouver. Talking to staff the first day they had no clue of the changes and then when the menus were published there they were !!!

Sometimes these threads decay into flame wars and I am not trying to do that but would like to put things in perspective.  DW and I started cruising in 2001 and have pent most of our cruises on a Celebrity ship.  Have things changed in 18 years, absolutely!  Many of us miss the elegance of the cruises 20 years ago.  The food quality is not what is once was but considering they are cooking for 2000+ people it is really not bad.  We now also have Martini Bars, some great specialty restaurants, internet service, sometimes good internet service, and drink packages.  One thing that hasn't changed is the level of service on Celebrity.  You are still treated as an honored guest by all the crew.  No company gets this correct 100% of the time but Celebrity is close.  Celebrity is a business and must turn a profit or they will not be a business.  They drive people to packages because they make more money.  We all have the option of not getting the packages.  They make changes to draw a younger crowd.  Some of these changes may not make people of my age happy but Celebrity needs to attract people to replace us when we can't cruise any longer (may that day never come!).  In the end, when the line no longer serves our needs we should walk away and try another one.  I tried RCL last year and did not like it but that is me.  We will try it again this year and also do some Celebrity trips.  One last item, cruising is still a bargain even with the nickel and diming and increases.  Here is some info from my first cruise in 2001 and a similar one coming up.  In 2001 we paid $4100 for an ocean view room on a 7 day trip to Bermuda.  This works out to $585/day plus gratuities and drinks.  This year we will be taking a 10 day tip to Bermuda and NE with veranda room (CC1) for $5440 or $544/day which includes gratuities, drinks, internet and  $300 room credit.  To everyone, make the best of things and just enjoy cruising on whatever line you like.  Life is too short to argue! Bon voyage.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cruisingdelt said:

To everyone, make the best of things and just enjoy cruising on whatever line you like.  Life is too short to argue! Bon voyage.

Thank you for this. I'm a new cruiser (only one under my belt) and even that one was a gift from God (I say that without a stitch of sarcasm). I get that many who have experienced the wonder of sailing for many years may have grown jaded at the luxury that is available to us. I hope I never do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

Thank you for this. I'm a new cruiser (only one under my belt) and even that one was a gift from God (I say that without a stitch of sarcasm). I get that many who have experienced the wonder of sailing for many years may have grown jaded at the luxury that is available to us. I hope I never do.

We have enjoyed many cruises and some fantastic land holidays too...We never board a ship without counting our blessings and every trip, land or sea, is a bonus.

Our glasses are always at least half full....Usually totally full thanks to drinks packages...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

We would never book or not book a ship or itinerary based on someone's opinion positive or negative of their cruise. Looking forward to our upcoming cruise(s) on the Summit. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

Welcome to the cruising world, it can become quite addicting. The problem for some is not that they have become "jaded", but that they remember the quality of meals before recent cutbacks. There are many positive improvements in cruising over the years, but the quality of food served in the MDR is not one. I don't know why changes have taken place but I can speculate.

All cruise lines want and need to add to their bottom line. On Celebrity its meant more specialty restaurants with higher charges; special restaurants for Aqua Class and Suite passengers that they pay for in higher fares. The MDR is a rfee venue and is a consumer of revenue, not a producer.

• Like 1

Since tastes in both food, entertainment and everything else involved in travel are very personal I realize that our take on identical circumstances may differ significantly from that of an unknown person posting a review online. DH and I base our decisions on our experiences. We may view the same menus and food very differently than someone else. Also the reactions of people are very different. We tend to deal with mishaps with a healthy dose of good humor and find things much more pleasant that way. That's not to say that everything is perfect, or even acceptable, but how one deals with a given situation can go miles ahead with how the situation is rectified. We also find ourselves blessed to be able to enjoy the wonderful pleasure that travel affords to us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

The Millennium was my first X ship, this is really sad to hear.  People are paying extra to be on this revolutionized ship, and it is really not fair to them to be served downgraded food.  There goes the excuse of South America supplier issues, on the way back up the coast.