No more ice buckets/ice for rooms

fstuff1

58 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

There’s no food in the restaurants....

unless you order it. 🙂

Love this.... 

On Gem now in B1 and have had ice since day 1 (in fact Igloo cooler outside my door)  Just poked my head in an inside near me and they also have ice bucket... 

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Re read your thread title..that’s all I’m saying...

ahh.. i see what you mean.

i should have said:

"No more cabin  Ice buckets/Ice on the Dawn. Can other ships be far behind?"

Edited by fstuff1

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

how about dont come into this thread?

I just think it is silly over the things cruisers complain about and then blame the on the cruise lines for not informing them personally about changes.  

3 hours ago, perditax said:

Great article.  I am a stockholder since 2014.  And have been receiving $100 OBC for every cruise.  I am also Platinum Plus.

Off the Dawn last week (interior)...no towel animals..not ice..Asked steward about the ice thing..he said "NCL is trying to be more environmental"  ?????

Keeping in mind too just...."Ask for it" means you've got to find your Room Steward, it could be hours before you see him again.    It's the first day at sea and you want to sit on your balcony and pop a soda from your mini fridge.  You don't even realize the ice buckets have been removed because it's expected.    You won't see your Room Steward again until he's back at it at 6pm.   Its not so easy as to just "ask" and even then, just asking always comes with a wait which obviously didn't happen back when ice buckets were standard in your room.

Now if you never use the ice in your room then of course, weigh in here about how it's a waste and tell us all about how you don't need it because we want to hear that!    Some of us don't use a pillow on the bed but we aren't going to support the removal of all pillows in the rooms to save costs because we don't use it.      

And yes, eliminating the ice bucket and towel animals means your Room Steward probably now has an additional 3 Roomshe's now responsible to clean.   NCL has to make their profits year over year to report to the share holders.   How are they going to improve on their profits for next year?   Will they eliminate the soft serve ice cream?   Will they eliminate the singer in the piano bar?   Will they stop the evening turn down service?    When you start allowing things to be eliminated and shrug...."Oh, I never use the ice bucket and that's all fine", you're asking for your thing to be eliminated next year without a single issue.   

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

I have seen people post here before that for an entire cruise, they didn't realize they had ice being left in their cabins, or didn't realize until the end. Many people don't use this amenity. I think it makes sense for the stewards to only bring it upon the request of guests who will actually use it.

Whomever suggested having ice machines:  that is unnecessary. They will bring you a bucket with ice if you ask for it. That is what is being reported here, for those who have been in cabins without.

Last week we asked for an Ice Bucket for our deck 5 ocean view.  The steward told us that it was discontinued two months ago, and we could keep our wine in the mini fridge.  That's what we did.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, fstuff1 said:

i knew about no more animal towels.

but on my cruise on the Dawn last week, there wasnt any ice/ice buckets either.

(both still available upon request.)

i'm glad they stopped both.

i didnt need either but on previous cruises when i asked my cabin steward to skip them for me, he still did both. 

waste of time/effort. 😞

now, being cynical, does this mean more cabins assigned to stewards thus less labor costs for NCL?

I am on the Joy, and was shocked to find out the Stewards have 16 cabins EACH. And that is not per team like other cruises we've been on.  1 person does it all.  They are working from about 7 to 3 trying to get all the morning work done. Then they are back at 5 working till about 9.

Besdes being bad for the staff, the end result is it's very tricky getting your room cleaned when you leave.

And please don't say that is the way it is on all cruises. My husband and I in the past 20 years have been over 20 cruises on different lines (Carnival to Regent Seven Seas.) Never seen the housekeeping staff overworked the way we have on this Cruise. Kind of leaves a bad taste for the cruise line.....

• Like 1

I can appreciate this change, if it is true that all you have to do is ask for daily ice if you want it. I don't think we have ever used the ice delivered to the room, so it's something that is an extra cost with no benefit for us.

I don't see this as a cut back as much as reducing unnecessary costs. Nothing wrong with that as long as the guests requesting ice are taken care of quickly and efficiently.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:39 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I leave a note requesting ice he first day, usually with a $20, never had any issues. 🙂

Interestingly, I've never had any issues receiving ice either, even without leaving a $20. It's the norm.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, fstuff1 said:

i knew about no more animal towels.

but on my cruise on the Dawn last week, there wasnt any ice/ice buckets either.

(both still available upon request.)

i'm glad they stopped both.

i didnt need either but on previous cruises when i asked my cabin steward to skip them for me, he still did both. 

waste of time/effort. 😞

now, being cynical, does this mean more cabins assigned to stewards thus less labor costs for NCL?

You don't sound like much fun.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, fstuff1 said: