Royal Caribbean - do they compensate for bad cruises?

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

Are you talking about a refund before the cruise or after? I don’t see you getting a refund after because you didn’t like it. If you have a cancel for any reason insurance policy, maybe you can get money back before the cruise.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Are you talking about a refund before the cruise or after? I don’t see you getting a refund after because you didn’t like it. If you have a cancel for any reason insurance policy, maybe you can get money back before the cruise.

X2.  I mean you are still a couple of months away and already talking about gathering evidence for a refund.  That isn't a good sign.  Hopefully you can rebook something else more appealing.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RCI takes good care of their ships. They are always painting somewhere to keep the rust at bay. The ships are built for an expected service life of 30-50 years. And they all go through a regular maintenance dry dock every 3-5 years. And in the fine print of the cruise contract it says they can change your itinerary at any time. Perhaps you haven't heard about the civil unrest and terrorist activities that have been popping up sporadically lately in the Philippines. I'd be glad not to go there right now!

So enjoy your cruise on Voyager! Remember, people are quick to post something negative, it all comes down to personal preference! Some people hate the food in WJ, but we like it. Some people get their knickers in a knot when the cabin steward forgets their ice, we just go get our own!

• Like 2

This is definitely not the type of attitude I'd go in with.  Ready to take pictures of all the problems so you can claim a refund after?  Goodness.

Voyager is a great ship (and quite big).  You'll have a fantastic time just like any other cruise.  Don't be negative, there is no reason for that.

• Like 15

In 45 cruises we have never had a "bad" cruise.  Including a couple that didn't sail to any of the scheduled ports.  And most complaining reviews are written by people with little experience - other folks on the same trip report a far better experience.  You already received a £1000 reduction in cruise price - prices on our cruises always go up, not down.  Sounds like you really want to cancel.  

The only time we have received compensation was a cruise shortened to four days when Port Everglades wasn't open on the scheduled day due to a hurricane.  Anyone still sailing got 50% back onboard and 50% as a future credit.  If you miss a port you get a tiny refund of port fees.

• Like 2

Let's think about the odds - you've read maybe 10-12 bad reviews about Voyager from the past month. If each cruise has 3000 people and the ship takes 4 trips a month, then less than 1% of guests had a bad enough time to complain about it online. That means you have a 99% chance to have a good time. Go in with a good attitude and you'll have a great time!

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

It seems to me that you entered into the cruise contract in bad faith, clearly expressing the expectation that you will be unsatisfied with the product delivered. But if you have taken the time to read the cruise contract, (hopefully before accepting its terms), you should be aware that there is no guaranty of guest "satisfaction" and no promise to deliver particular levels of service.

I'm not familiar with "you won't get it cheaper than this deal". I suspect the cruise line was a little more specific in the offer terms and the quote is you interpretation of those terms. Sadly, one has to very carefully read and parse offer terms of this sort. In my experience cruise lines stick very close to their terms and conditions.

In N.America non refundable deposits are returned as a future cruise credit less a US$50 which would mean a cost of US$450 for cancelling and rebooking 9 people. Hence my confusion at the £1,000 loss claim.

• Like 4

If you go into the cruise already thinking it is going to be bad that isn't a good sign.  Go in with a good attitude.  

Example:  We were going on a cruise with another cruise line.  I read all kinds of negative reviews about the staff being rude to the ship being in horrible conditions.  I actually wasn't expecting a lot from this cruise.  We get on the ship and had the best time.  All the staff was amazing.  We have actually been on that ship again.  As someone said people may post more negative reviews before they post positive.  

Have a great time.  Sounds like an amazing cruise! 

• Like 2

You have already had one misstep and now to me its sounding like you are going in looking for a reason to sail and get a full refund.  Won't happen unless something disastrous happens.   You idea of a ruined vacation isn't going to be the same as mine. Service, food, entertainment,  accommodations not up to your standards may be just fine for someone else.   A small onboard credit, bottle of wine or something along those lines would possibly be the only compensation you get 

• Like 8

Few negative reviews have merit for any cruise line or ship.

Most negative reviews are a result of people having the wrong expectations going into the cruise. 

Some people think that every thing is inclusive.  They may have read about a luxury cruise line where every thing is inclusive that costs £20,000 so they book a £3,000 cruise assuming it will be just like the £20,000 cruise.  When they find out it isn't instead of accepting responsibility for their mistake and bad assumptions they write a negative review as retaliation.  

I've read negative reviews where someone booked the smallest and oldest ship at bargain prices then they find out it doesn't have all the things they saw in a commercial for the newest ship.  What do they do?  Blame the cruise line rather than taking ownership of the fact they did no research and assumed a cheap cruise would have everything a more expensive cruise would have.

Nine of ten bad reviews result from the human need to blame someone else rather than accepting personal responsibility for bad assumptions. 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Nine of ten bad reviews result from the human need to blame someone else rather than accepting personal responsibility for bad assumptions. 

This. Right. Here.

I read every review with a grain of salt.. a lot of the issues that people have are things that would not bother me... especially food reviews. I'm usually just happy to have someone else make me food and if something doesn't taste right, the waiter will bring me something new! 

• Like 3

I have to say that I had a similar experience as you describe on Princess.   I booked, paid for the airline tickets, hotel the night before etc.    I then find out...oh, there's no sofa (?) and no extra chair.   I was expecting a Royal Caribbean large coffee table and sofa, nope...  Then complaints about waiting for the shows (1/2 hr?).   I tell myself "this never happened on Royal Caribbean..."   I was ready to cancel but had too much prepaid $$$.   So I decided that I was going to make the best out of this cruise vs be "forced" to accept a crappy cruise and feel sorry for myself.

Ok...so I decide to bring my own chair because, yes, the chair is important to me.  I then brought my crafts because that's very important to me too.    To keep a super long story short.   I'm so glad I had my own chair because their chair was indeed not comfortable and mine made a great nap chair.    I had never had a balcony and got a cheap upgrade...glad I had my chair because theirs had remnants of bird poop on it.   I just put my chair outside, enjoyed the view, then brought it back in.   When I realized that water was coming off a rusted pipe (hole was at least 1.5" in diameter), I just said 'Gee, hope that's not sewage", and stood away from the hole.   The "bad stories" about waiting in line for the shows.  Hey...Cruise Critic was WRONG!   You didn't have to sit there 1/2 hr in advance...nope, if you wanted to sit, it was nearly 1 hr in advance!    What does that mean?   Of course, you're missing other ship activities because you have to go to the "good" events 1 hr in advance!   :classic_huh:     I assure you, I was careful about my activities because I wasn't sitting for an hour and missing another activity for just "any activity".   I went to few activities (and BTW...ship activities on sea days are my favorite...but not on this ship).    Craft time...   If you want to see a gang of angry women, just invite them to craft time and run out of supplies and BLOCK your entry into the activity.   The claws were coming out...   A guy from corporate who claimed that he runs the crafting program said he was on the ship to see how things were going.   He had never seen craft time before.   He was stunned...

Now...STILL determined to have a good time, I curled up with my ipad filled with movies, crafting videos etc.   I brought my diamond paintings with me and did not finish the 4 piece scene.    I made friends with my favorite pizza man (hated the food, except the pizza), my favorite bartenders etc.  And when we were in port...out came the internet (which I normally do not do on a cruise, but these were desperate times) and I started booking another trip for next year - NOT a cruise!    I learned to enjoy whale/dolphin watching.   I watched the mountains for "formations" (I found this great alligator mouth on the side of one mountain and even my friends can see it in the photo).   And, I enjoyed something called Wreck it Ralph movie on tv.   Not my usual selection...but it was fun

There was more disaster on this cruise, but I can honestly say, I enjoyed going to Alaska.   I would see Alaska again (without Princess).   I got lots of rest and I was glad I went on vacation.   I look at my pictures and remember all of the good times I had and with the right attitude, it CAN INDEED overcome the crap that the cruise ship can offer you.   I mean, I think the only cruise that I couldn't make lemonade out of would be where the ship rocked so much the furniture moved (though I admit the ship rocked so much that the balcony door opened and closed by itself because the lock was broken...it was only 35F that night...)  Or one of those nightmare cruises where the toilets break.    If I have something decent/safe to eat/drink, a functional toilet, acceptable temperature and I'm physically safe, I can make it work!

I hate to be trite...but your attitude can really impact your experience.   I've had trips with bad attitude, that's the very reason I was determined this time to have good attitude and I can see the difference - good attitude can overcome much.

• Like 1

So you haven’t even set foot on the ship yet and are plotting a way to get your money refunded? How pathetic is that? Did you read any reviews BEFORE you booked as most normal people would have done? I love Voyager. If you have issues with the staff, maybe they are responding to your negative attitude. Think about it. Hope you get nothing. 

• Like 15

PS...I didn't ask for, nor expect a refund for a crappy cruise, despite the fact that I think they could have done better.   However, I did one better.    I tell everyone about how I was treated and I swing my $$$ elsewhere.    That's far worse than a refund on one cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, missyhol said:

Many thanks

We received a 50% refund on the only Carnival cruise we ever had taken. Before the cruise we wanted arrangements with a large table of 10 or more, we were granted this before the cruise. When we got on the Glory, the dining was horrific. They sat us at a table for two and we were isolated alone, actually seated next to a staircase. We were practically forgotten about! And....the "What'll it be for dinner tonight" by the table waiter was a shock. No napkin placement, nothing, no review of the dinner menu. When I asked what he recommended, he said "I'd eat all of it." The overall bad performance, lack of professionalism throughout the cruise, I wrote a letter to Carnival explaining in a tactful manner the disgust we had, so they refunded us half of what we paid. At first it was a 50% off a future cruise, but that one cruise convinced us we'd never go back to Carnival. My letter was tactful but to the point. We sent it to Guest Relations. Do this, make the letter constructive, maybe (if you even HAD any good things to say) mention those in your letter too. I am so sorry you went through this.

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, gerif said:

So you haven’t even set foot on the ship yet and are plotting a way to get your money refunded? How pathetic is that? Did you read any reviews BEFORE you booked as most normal people would have done? I love Voyager. If you have issues with the staff, maybe they are responding to your negative attitude. Think about it. Hope you get nothing. 

THAT was cruel.....

• Like 4

Been a member of Cruise Critic for quite a few years.  OP, your post is a first for me.  I have never read a post requesting information on how to get a refund for a cruise not taken.  By the way, if you watched the news yesterday you may be glad the itinerary has been changed as things were not calm in the waters near the Philippines yesterday.

I have not sailed on the ship you reference but every RCCL ship I have sailed on has been fine.  Some needed a little elbow grease and tender loving care but that had no impact on me enjoying my cruise.

If you have not already done so you might want to price a beverage package and really enjoy your cruise.  Things do happen and there is much less stress and much more fun if you go with the flow.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, johnjen said:

We received a 50% refund on the only Carnival cruise we ever had taken. Before the cruise we wanted arrangements with a large table of 10 or more, we were granted this before the cruise. When we got on the Glory, the dining was horrific. They sat us at a table for two and we were isolated alone, actually seated next to a staircase. We were practically forgotten about! And....the "What'll it be for dinner tonight" by the table waiter was a shock. No napkin placement, nothing, no review of the dinner menu. When I asked what he recommended, he said "I'd eat all of it." The overall bad performance, lack of professionalism throughout the cruise, I wrote a letter to Carnival explaining in a tactful manner the disgust we had, so they refunded us half of what we paid. At first it was a 50% off a future cruise, but that one cruise convinced us we'd never go back to Carnival. My letter was tactful but to the point. We sent it to Guest Relations. Do this, make the letter constructive, maybe (if you even HAD any good things to say) mention those in your letter too. I am so sorry you went through this.

If you read the OP’s post you will see that she has gone through nothing as yet. Just expecting a bad experience so she can get a refund. While I will admit that my one Carnival cruise was one too many, I still had a fun vacation. Question, when you were placed at a poor table with a less than stellar server, did you just tough it for out hoping for compensation or bring your dissatisfaction to the attention of someone (e.g., the head waiter) who could actually do something about it? We had just one poor experience in the dining room. Spoke to the headwaiter and the next night had a table of great people and terrific waitstaff. 

• Like 5

Wow you are going on a cruise to look for bad things to get compensated for ?This life is not a rehearsal, you should look for all the good things in life to be grateful for :classic_smile:

• Like 6

Agree OP should have done more research before booking and should actually experience the sailing before declaring it a disaster.

Out of curiosity though took a look at recent reviews and was disturbed that more than 50% of last 50 Voyager reviews came in at only 1 or 2 stars.  Haven't seen a Royal ship rated that poorly since early days of Quantum.  Hope whatever problems Voyager has are ship specific and will be corrected.