Price drop and TA out of touch?

10 hours ago, dsvd79 said:

Granted  yes someone else should be able to help you, but don't you think sometimes TA's need vacations too?  I mean how else are they to sell you trips if they cannot experience too.  One of the top questions I would ask a TA's is have they been there?  What did they do?  Have you sent others?

Give your TA a break!

I agree that travel agents need a vacation too. I agree that they function better when they have had the ability to experience what they are trying to sell you.    However, when you are in a business where you are handling people's money and very timely decisions must be made, it is imperative to have some sort of back up plan.  

10 hours ago, tomservo said:

Where did you find your TA? Mine gives me roughly 10% of the cruise fare as OBC, but your group rate sounds like a better deal!

I use a web site that allows multiple agencies to bid on and “compete” for your booking. Google and you’ll find it. Have booked over 20 cruises through them and not one single issue. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You’re not interested in any of the group rates that many TA’s have access to that can save hundreds of $ on a cruise?  That’s quire a bit more substances like than a bottle of wine.

I have to say that I have never found a TA who can book me in a group not even my Big Box Warehouse TA was able to do that. They did offer a large OBC at the time which was the only reason I booked with them. The TA who took my reservation vanished from the planet because I was never able to speak to her ever again in a 14 month period. Automatic emails that were sent to me were still coming from her with her extension and email address. Anyone else I spoke to were very helpful but If something came up and I needed them to "Go to bat for me"  I'm not confident that any service would have happened.

When I did have to call them closer to the cruise to verify that I was getting all of the OBC that was promised I was on hold for 25 minutes. Many times I hung up and tried at various times but there was always a long hold time.  I'm not sure how that would have worked if I would have had a problem on board.

I have also inquired with the bid for my cruise site and when I researched some TA's it appeared the they were running an operation out of their garage or basement. Did a goole maps search with the address and they were defiantly located in a residential neighborhood. I not sure how that would have worked out if the TA was on vacation and I needed assistance.

My guess is that the OP's travel agent was a one man show and there wasn't anyone to forward the calls to when the TA wasn't available. Seems like the TA did receive the email and took care of it. A new invoice with the price adjustment should have been sent to the OP for confirmation. My big box agency always sent me an updated invoice of what was included in our conversation. I also receive the same when booking directly with the cruise line.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NewlyMrs.Kilday said:

Hello,

I have noticed a price drop on our upcoming Sept cruise, we are less than a week before final payment is due. I contacted our TA and received back an automated reply that she is “out of the office and will reply when she returns.” I’m worried I might not hear back from her before final payment is due and lose out on the savings. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Should I call Royal directly or will they not be able to do anything since it’s a TA booking? 

YES, absolutely - and it was the reason we decided to NEVER AGAIN go through a "third party" vacation planner. TA's tend to be a wedge IMO - between YOU and the cruise line. Is your vacation WORTH a free excursion? A bowl of fruit in your cabin? Chocolated covered strawberries or other superfluous "free stuff"? No, it truly isn't - their so called "discounts" or "better deals" can be easily acquired by yourself if you try hard. Most of all, I am so sorry this is happening. We missed out on a $300 price drop because ours went off on vacay herself and no one at that TA place would step in to help us. NEVER AGAIN!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

good grief, give the TA a little leeway. It's lunch hr

NO, Don't. Not slamming what you are saying, but a good TA would be responsible and accountable. This one isn't.

55 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I use a web site that allows multiple agencies to bid on and “compete” for your booking. Google and you’ll find it. Have booked over 20 cruises through them and not one single issue. 

Make sure you give feedback to the owner of that website on what happened to you with this ta.  

I know they sometimes ask for feedback immediately after booking, and I always respond that of course they're good or else I wouldn't have booked with them.  The real proof is how you feel about them after the cruise is over.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I used something like that (Lending Tree maybe?) once when I was looking to buy a house, and all the site did was sell my info to a bunch of lenders, they were calling and emailing me for weeks, so I’m really wary of sites like that. But you’re saying this is not like that? They’re not going to spam me to death?

I have gone back and forth with using a TA.  Some I've booked direct and others I have gone through a large online TA.  I'm just  not convinced that I have gotten any real value from booking with the TA and on my last booking I have done it myself and will probably just continue to do so.  I saw we had a price drop for our cruise in April 2020 on Allure so I emailed the TA.  I got a reply from her at the end of the work day saying sorry she didn't get to repricing my cruise.  She was going to be out of the office for the next 5 days and that I should call in tomorrow and one of the other associates could assist me.  That sealed the deal for me, never again will I book with them.  I booked another cruise about a week later and I did it direct.  When I needed a repricing for that one I called Royal directly and got done immediately while I was on the phone,.  My wait time was about 10 minutes and that was during the No Cuba/Empress/Majesty debacle so I suspect my wait times would be even less during different times.

As far as group space is concerned... I see that on the TA's website there is the odd category that seems to have a slightly better price but these all appear to be gty staterooms and I prefer to select my cabin.  The prices that seem slightly cheaper than what is being advertised on Royals but not enough to tempt me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomservo said:

I used something like that (Lending Tree maybe?) once when I was looking to buy a house, and all the site did was sell my info to a bunch of lenders, they were calling and emailing me for weeks, so I’m really wary of sites like that. But you’re saying this is not like that? They’re not going to spam me to death?

Have never had any spam issues with the web site. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

At that time we were doing 2 month in Alaska on our own and then sailing back to Vancouver.  It was a bus, train across Canada and up the Rockies then Alaska ferries, Alaska train, rental car and staying in B&B's.  There was no way to get paperwork, seapass, tickets, whatever so we just showed up at Princess terminal.  Fortunately we were on manifest.

DO NOT need hand holding.  DH was with a major airline and we traveled all over the world pass riding with one carry on.  I made all of our arrangements and at no time did I use a TA.  Only after he retired did I try a TA.  Not for me.

That's like going to the dining room once and declaring the food there is no good.

Sorry you didn't like the one TA you tried. Many of us rave about our TA's because they give us fantastic service and great incentives. By not booking with one, you are basically paying 10% or more too much just to do it your way

Edited by cruisinfanatic

15 hours ago, grneyes said:

Always book our own cruise with RC. This way I control my cruise .

Not interested in a bottle of wine or want ever TA  would give us. But that's us like to have control LOL!

A bottle of wine..

We once got gratuities paid for,  Drink package, and $300 OBC from an online TA.

But I guess that's not worth it for anyone with control issues..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You’re not interested in any of the group rates that many TA’s have access to that can save hundreds of $ on a cruise?  That’s quire a bit more substances like than a bottle of wine.

Also,       we have booked with an online agency for the past few years.  We routinely get paid gratuities, some onboard credit ($100 or more), a loyalty credit ($50 OBC).  In the past we have also received dinner for 2 at a specialty rest. and on one or two occasions, a spa credit..  We don't always get all of the above, but always more than a bottle of wine and usually at least 2 of the perks I mentioned.  Our agency always gets back to us by the end of the business day if we have a question or a problem( which is very rare).  I like order and control as much as the next guy, but not to where I will  "bite off my nose to spite my face", so to speak.  JMO  🙂

I've tried using several sites including the competing one.  All of the prices have been the same as I was able to get direct with the cruiseline.  Occasionlly they have a "special" that I'll bite on, but I hate when I have to go through them to deal with the line.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

I've tried using several sites including the competing one.  All of the prices have been the same as I was able to get direct with the cruiseline.  Occasionlly they have a "special" that I'll bite on, but I hate when I have to go through them to deal with the line.

The prices would be the same as through the cruiseline, I don't believe TA's are allowed to charge less than the cruise line's price. The difference is that TAs can give you back some of the commission they get from your booking in the form of paid gratuities, OBC, drink packages, etc. If you book directly with the cruise line they keep the commission. 

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

A bottle of wine..

We once got gratuities paid for,  Drink package, and $300 OBC from an online TA.

Why so rude? Good you received all thoses freebies. Just stating how I feel. I am sure there are great TA out there.. I also get free drinks  and 2 bottles wine in my cabin , so I am very happy!!! take care and enjoy your upcoming cruise

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomservo said:

No,they email the site not you!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tomservo said:

The prices would be the same as through the cruiseline, I don't believe TA's are allowed to charge less than the cruise line's price. The difference is that TAs can give you back some of the commission they get from your booking in the form of paid gratuities, OBC, drink packages, etc. If you book directly with the cruise line they keep the commission. 

Travel agents that buy rooms in bulk do pass on the savings as a lower fare, in addition to the other benefits you mentioned from their commissions. 

My FOTS Cruise next month was posted $900+ lower than the same room on the RCI website. 

3 hours ago, Rala said:

Also,       we have booked with an online agency for the past few years.  We routinely get paid gratuities, some onboard credit ($100 or more), a loyalty credit ($50 OBC).  In the past we have also received dinner for 2 at a specialty rest. and on one or two occasions, a spa credit..  We don't always get all of the above, but always more than a bottle of wine and usually at least 2 of the perks I mentioned.  Our agency always gets back to us by the end of the business day if we have a question or a problem( which is very rare).  I like order and control as much as the next guy, but not to where I will  "bite off my nose to spite my face", so to speak.  JMO  🙂

I've take a similar approach.  This time, I checked a few of the online ones for pricing (which is usually the same as dealing directly with Royal) and what extra perks I may get and decide if those are worth it.  I was going to use a TA recommended by a coworker but their hours were worse than a banker and I normally make my calls in the evening.  I don't care for the hold times with the big online agencies but they are available in the evenings and weekends if you need to call.  So I went with cruises only.

But this time I may have gotten better pricing because of my TA.  I normally check Royal's website for price changes since it always agreed with the pricing on the TA's website, but one weekend after booking I checked the TA's website and it was about $250 less per cabin than what Royal showed online for the exact same sailing and class.  I called the TA on a Saturday and got the price adjustment right away.  Perhaps I got lucky and got in on a group rate.  At any rate, I was happy in the end.

Edited by the fish

I fired my agent for the same reason .

I get extra points on my credit card if I book through them.

Last year I was noticing price drops and sent emails but was totally ignored by her.

Also left voice mails ... no response .

So this year another agent calls to let me know she would be handling my acount .

I politely told her I will be dealing direct with rccl moving forward.

I have saved over 400.00 in price drops on my upcoming cruise .

One quick call to rccl and everything was handled very well. 

And I get a confirmation email with in the hour .

No more T A for me .

Man apparently I need a new TA for more ways than one! I had no idea about some of the perks you all are talking about. We booked 6 cabins with this agent and got ZERO anything. Same price I found online, to the dollar. Zero OBC, no specialty dining or anything. I thought those kind of perks were done away with years ago and nowadays TA’s are more just for convenience. I will be doing more searching for sure. 

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Travel agents that buy rooms in bulk do pass on the savings as a lower fare, in addition to the other benefits you mentioned from their commissions. 

My FOTS Cruise next month was posted $900+ lower than the same room on the RCI website. 

You’re right, I think that’s the only time the agent’s rate would be lower than the cruise line, if they get you in a group booking. 

9 hours ago, matj2000 said:

A bottle of wine..

Yet in the past you've said you maintain total control of your reservation despite using a TA.  Please explain.

5 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Yet in the past you've said you maintain total control of your reservation despite using a TA.  Please explain.

What control do you think you relinquish when using a TA? As stated the only things I can think of that I do not control are, making payments and requesting price drops.