Techno music

MISTER 67

26 minutes ago, ORV said:

I feel like I'm in a time warp. This thread could have been from 4-8 years ago. 

Techno came out in the late 80s so it's an even greater time warp than that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aralim said:

Music is constantly changing, and those changes will invariably upset one group or another used to the older styles. But  places that play music meant to cater to a wide range of humans have to change with it or their customers are going to age out and never get replaced as word gets out that the place is “old style” / “square” / “uncool”.

I agree!

37 minutes ago, ORV said:

Exactly...why is the bad sound back?

Back then it was everywhere..pool areas, hallways, tuscan etc. Sick..not in a good way!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Techno came out in the late 80s so it's an even greater time warp than that.

Yep. I'm not at all convinced anyone was listening to techno.  

I've never heard techno on any cruise ship. Or on any land bar or club in years / decades. 

I'd still prefer it to jazz though! Lol

• Like 1

I've never heard anything I'd call techno on a cruise either. I do think they have a tendency to turn the volume too high for the venue (i.e., I'd like to have a conversation over a martini), but that's my primary gripe. Most likely they've got commercial EDM mixes of popular music (the uptempo version of Muzak).

Of course I'm laughing at this entire thread because this rapidly becomes a cliched "you kids keep off my lawn" conversation. And sometimes we evolve. I HATED "Smells Like Team Spirit" in the '90s as a thirty-something. Now Nevermind is one of my all time favorite albums (albums being a word that ages me!). I'm pushing 57 and there's no way I could handle seven days of Sinatra and the Brat Pack! And I actually like some Sinatra!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORV said:

How about 49 years ago...

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"...

It’s a form of EDM that they are playing. We just got off the Edge and it’s definitely being played especially in the martini bar. So funny, in May 2014 my daughter and I did a British Isles cruise on the Infinity. Since it was off season it was a much older crowd. I noticed the music the first night in the martini bar and the first time I had seen a DJ there on a Celebrity ship. I asked him why the music choice as my then 20 year old daughter and I looked around at ages of the much older people sitting in the bar. He told us that they had been told to play it by the Miami office. That seemed to be the start of the “modern cruising” campaign and I have noticed it on every Celebrity sailing since. 

31 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

It’s a form of EDM that they are playing. We just got off the Edge and it’s definitely being played especially in the martini bar. So funny, in May 2014 my daughter and I did a British Isles cruise on the Infinity. Since it was off season it was a much older crowd. I noticed the music the first night in the martini bar and the first time I had seen a DJ there on a Celebrity ship. I asked him why the music choice as my then 20 year old daughter and I looked around at ages of the much older people sitting in the bar. He told us that they had been told to play it by the Miami office. That seemed to be the start of the “modern cruising” campaign and I have noticed it on every Celebrity sailing since. 

I like all kinds of music from classical opera to some country music, I thought Disco music was very good also but this crap on Celebrity is just awful, someone in Miami made a terrible decision.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

As someone in my mid-50's, I can appreciate a wide range of styles (but avoid hip-hop and techno whenever possible).  The biggest thing for me are the places that pump it in at ear-splitting volumes.  I prefer to be able to talk with drink/dinner companions (I have a hard time focusing on conversation at my age when there is lots of loud music). Fortunately on our Infinity and Silhouette cruises, the music styles and volumes all over were quite satisfactory.  We shall see on our upcoming Constellation and Reflection cruises...

We had this issue on Edge in February.  I LOVE music (and most kinds of music) but I do not want my hearing ruined....it will go downhill on it's own as I age!!!   One morning at 7:00 AM, we could hear the loud "thump, thump" music from the atrium in our cabin.  I called to complain but this type of thing happened throughout the cruise.  I couldn't even stay in the main theater for performances as the sound level was so high you couldn't even understand the lyrics to songs.  

We've had this issue on other Celebrity ships in the past year, too.  It's probably my biggest complaint on recent cruises. 

I'll be back in a month or so and let you know how the music is on Edge in August! 

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Yep. Read a lot of similar nonsense prior to my first cruise in 2014 and soon found it to be - as expected - utter nonsense.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Yep. Read a lot of similar nonsense prior to my first cruise in 2014 and soon found it to be - as expected - utter nonsense.

Are you saying that techno music in the Grand Foyer is a lie, or that their disapproval of it is nonsense?

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

We had this issue on Edge in February.  I LOVE music (and most kinds of music) but I do not want my hearing ruined....it will go downhill on it's own as I age!!!   One morning at 7:00 AM, we could hear the loud "thump, thump" music from the atrium in our cabin.  I called to complain but this type of thing happened throughout the cruise.  I couldn't even stay in the main theater for performances as the sound level was so high you couldn't even understand the lyrics to songs.  

We've had this issue on other Celebrity ships in the past year, too.  It's probably my biggest complaint on recent cruises. 

I'll be back in a month or so and let you know how the music is on Edge in August! 

Hi Anne

Loud  music around the ship and for the  shows is also a big issue for us.  For the shows that are too loud, we just leave ( we sit  in the back on the end of a  row for that reason).

Other loud music onboard is often hard to escape if it has been re-introduced.  We used  to enjoy the outdoor pool areas  early in the day and leave by the time the speakers were on full volume,,  I also very much miss the spa  type music...pan flutes, nature sounds they USED to play the the solarium.  It was so peaceful and calming...hope it is brought back.

Hope you enjoy EDGE in August...we are going back in Nov..ABC Islands...Sunset Veranda.

Edited by hcat

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:32 PM, tallnthensome said:

What is an album? .......just kidding. Remember, Celebrity wants to target millennials now and they'll use techno dance to do it. Not albums from the 50's and 60's.  

I was thinking the same thing - anyone interested in techno music does not know what an album is!  I don't think many under 40 buys albums at this point with all of  alternate ways to obtain music now.  I'm in my early 50s and have not purchased an album in about 15 years.

That being said, we have sailed many times on Celebrity and have never had an issue with the techno music itself or its volume.  There have been times on almost every cruise we have taken where at some point the music somewhere annoyed us, but the situation referenced on this thread is not bothersome to us.

6 minutes ago, Sascol said:

I was thinking the same thing - anyone interested in techno music does not know what an album is!  I don't think many under 40 buys albums at this point with all of  alternate ways to obtain music now.  I'm in my early 50s and have not purchased an album in about 15 years.

That being said, we have sailed many times on Celebrity and have never had an issue with the techno music itself or its volume.  There have been times on almost every cruise we have taken where at some point the music somewhere annoyed us, but the situation referenced on this thread is not bothersome to us.

Our son, 22, has a friend with quite the collection.  Our son stayed with him and his girlfriend one weekend (they live a few hours away on the coast). They listened to many albums that weekend and our son came home a fan telling us about the awesome sound produced. 

I was telling him about this thread and he said it’s not techno, it’s EDM. Then he proceeded to have Alexa play both types of music for us so we could hear the difference.  He quite enjoys educating us old folks. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our son, 22, has a friend with quite the collection.  Our son stayed with him and his girlfriend one weekend (they live a few hours away on the coast). They listened to many albums that weekend and our son came home a fan telling us about the awesome sound produced. 

I was telling him about this thread and he said it’s not techno, it’s EDM. Then he proceeded to have Alexa play both types of music for us so we could hear the difference.  He quite enjoys educating us old folks. 😂

Are you referencing VINYL albums?  Yes - that's a thing.  A very big thing that all age ranges are into.  It's kinda cool.  I was referencing albums in general (CDs, etc.).  I had so many of both when I was younger but now just listen to everything on line.

I see you are in Charlotte - us too!

I know....off topic everyone, sorry!

Edited by Sascol

2 minutes ago, Sascol said:

Are you referencing VINYL albums?  Yes - that's a thing.  A very big thing that all age ranges are into.  It's kinda cool.  I was referencing albums in general (CDs, etc.).  I had so many of both when I was younger but now just listen to everything on line.

I know....off topic everyone, sorry!

Oh yes, sorry!  He did refer to them as a vinyl collection. I didn’t realize that was a thing now. Vinyl what I think of when I think of albums. 

12 minutes ago, Sascol said:

Are you referencing VINYL albums?  Yes - that's a thing.  A very big think that all age ranges are into.  It's kinda cool.  I was referencing albums in general (CDs, etc.).  I had so many of both when I was younger but now just listen to everything on line.

Vinyl, turntables, and tube (not solid state) amplifiers. All the things those of us who grew up with scratchy records and hot, noisy amplifiers got rid of!

I grew up in the peak of album rock, so I do still buy albums, whether as downloads or CDs. I haven't reverted to vinyl!

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Vinyl, turntables, and tube (not solid state) amplifiers. All the things those of us who grew up with scratchy records and hot, noisy amplifiers got rid of!

I grew up in the peak of album rock, so I do still buy albums, whether as downloads or CDs. I haven't reverted to vinyl!

I used to just sit in my room and play albums, just stare at the covers and read the lyrics.  I had no cell phone to occupy my time!

• Like 2

There was a guy who so enjoyed the navigation channel music (the same music played in the hallways and around the ship) that he built a Spotify playlist of it. I downloaded it and have been listening to it. I pretty much tuned it out onboard, but now that I am home, it makes me feel like I am back on the ship.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think regardless of what the music is called many of us object to very loud in your face music.  We personally like to sail Celebrity for the quieter environment.  The trend to go louder and louder with music in public areas is not one I am happy about at all.  I don't care if it is loud in the theater or nightclub because it might be expected there and because you can just walk away.  But at places like the Martini Bar I would rather enjoy my pricey beverage and be able to speak and listen to the new friends I am meeting there.  On Edge we had an expensive dinner in the Fine Cut Steakhouse which is open to the Martini Bar area below.  We were given a table on the rail.  We asked to be moved further inside because we could not carry on a simple conversation over the loud music from below.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think regardless of what the music is called many of us object to very loud in your face music.  We personally like to sail Celebrity for the quieter environment.  The trend to go louder and louder with music in public areas is not one I am happy about at all.  I don't care if it is loud in the theater or nightclub because it might be expected there and because you can just walk away.  But at places like the Martini Bar I would rather enjoy my pricey beverage and be able to speak and listen to the new friends I am meeting there.  On Edge we had an expensive dinner in the Fine Cut Steakhouse which is open to the Martini Bar area below.  We were given a table on the rail.  We asked to be moved further inside because we could not carry on a simple conversation over the loud music from below.

Just what I was thinking.  I love music of all types jazz, Rock, Latin, techno-type, Old, new but especially at entertainment times not in restaurants where I may want to have a conversation, or in the lawn where I may want to read a book or zone out, and not in my cabin.  Volume should be appropriate to the venue and not loud enough to affect my hearing.  Looking forward to dancing at the silent disco.