Itinerary change with no notice, Cruise Line KNEW the itinerary would be changed

12 minutes ago, killtheump said:

I am really confused (which isn’t hard to do) but if you are leaving Sunday on The Allure that itinerary was changed on May 1 according to that roll call. So I would take it up with your travel agent.

They changed my itinerary last week for my November 3 cruise and we have until August 8 to cancel if we want and receive a full refund.

So it would seem the OP's TA sold them a cruise  two weeks ago based on outdated information and then when the booking was made had egg on their face when coughing up their documents only days before departure.

This story just gets better and better..... and is starting to resemble Swiss cheese.

• Like 3

Just now, StolidCruiser said:

So it would seem the OP's TA sold them a cruise  two weeks ago based on outdated information and then when the booking was made had egg on their face when coughing up their documents only days before departure.

This story just gets better and better..... and is starting to resemble Swiss cheese.

Yep.

13 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

New user because couldn't remember the password of a family-held account and now wants their own to rant about their choice to forgo $8K over (at best) an itinerary change or (at worst) a clueless TA after having taken 50+ cruises (but not on this line) never experiencing something look like this before. 

Yeah, it all adds up.  I give credit to those responding with sincerity about how this story only makes the OP seem foolish instead of righteously indignant (except for the lone usual corporations-are-evil muppet).

Summer is almost over and school will be back in session.   Thankfully.

Ditto, to the posters responding in sincerity...  

I'm out of troll food so I'm out.  I'll probably watch from a distance because I'm sure this will provide entertainment for at least another day.

Have a great weekend all 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

So the itinerary officially changed after the booking. This happens reasonably frequently. As many have posted in other threads, do not book a cruise if missing any of the ports would ruin your vacation.

Agreed! But we have been blessed to not have had that happen too often, maybe once or twice in over 50 cruises! One was due to a hurricane, we respectfully got out of it's way, 😁 The other was due to a port that had not been finished in time for us to dock! We will definitely remember this in the future, but we normally do very long cruises and book long in advance and do not book spur of the moment usually! This one time was an exception and we certainly won't book with RCI again!

I only found out about the propulsion issue yesterday by reading of it here and figured out this was the reason that our ports were changed! Had I known (or been following the thread about the Allure) about the issue before, it certainly would have made a difference in our choice! But as we booked spur if the moment, there was no reason to know about the propulsion issue on the ship! Oh well! If we want to book spur of the moment, we won't do it for Port selection, we will do it just to cruise and be on a ship and it won't be a MEGA ship! 😁

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Like you, many others who spend any time on CC know/knew about this, but thanks for the reminder. This thread will drop off the front page in a couple of days and we will likely have another thread from an another unsatisfied customer to replace it. CC is not the place to rant if you want results. 

Where would you suggest? These are cruise boards! If not here, where then? Are these boards only for satisfied customers??? Why is it called Cruise CRITIC! I can criticize a Cruise Line if I wish! And I know how fast these threads drop! I am not a newbie to message boards! I just wanted to post a problem and vent about RCI!  And I did. I will also take my complaint to the Social Media pages for RCI! 

How could you not enjoy being on the Allure for a week even if you never got off the ship.

so much to do, eat, socialize etc.

I'm going on the Allure in 4 weeks with itinerary change. 

why would anyone just throw away a cruise thinking it would impact a cruise line.

Something very fishy with all the publicity surrounding the propulsion issues, that the travel agent was not aware of it.

• Like 4

The US Virgin Islands also fired their port manager due to an agreement he made with rccl over crown bay development just recently so that also plays into the changes in St Thomas stops.

I am fairly sure the itinerary was changed for at least 2 months on the website for this cruise.

• Like 1

I would not jump the gun on blaming the TA.  

While it’s very easy for us here on the Royal boards to do that as it has been posted on here quite a bit don’t forget that TA’s are dealing with many cruise lines all of which have multiple ships.  Also cruises aren’t the only type of vacation that TA’s deal with so to expect them to know of every issue that is going on is unrealistic.  TA’s rely on cruise lines and corporate websites to post accurate information and when that process fails unfortunately the TA gets blamed. 

The OP stated this was her first Royal cruise in a long time so it is extremely possible that her TA isn’t as well versed as everyone on here is.  While I know that I would certainly have checked for any upcoming Allure sailings, had the same issue been happening with a pen NCL or MSC ship I would have relied solely on the information on the website or agent booking engine.  Since the OP had a printed itinerary then that’s what the TA was basing their information on.  TA’s act in good faith and go by what either the cruise lines website shows or their own corporate websites show and cannot be expected to call the cruise line for every single booking to confirm that the posted itinerary is still correct.

That being said the TA now needs to step up and get this resolved with Royal. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

Where would you suggest? These are cruise boards! If not here, where then? Are these boards only for satisfied customers??? Why is it called Cruise CRITIC! I can criticize a Cruise Line if I wish! And I know how fast these threads drop! I am not a newbie to message boards! I just wanted to post a problem and vent about RCI!  And I did. I will also take my complaint to the Social Media pages for RCI! 

The itinerary was changed May 1.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Yes by all means show Royal!!

Just give them your money and don't go.

Anyone have an estimate of how many of the 5,000+ pax on that cruise will see this thread, get OUTRAGED that the OP will not be aboard due to RC's mistreatment (!!!!!!), and decide to boycott their own vacations in abject sympathy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, whyrlygig said:

Throwing a fit and refusing to go only punishes yourself. Maybe cool off a day or so and rethink it?  

Not throwing a fit, just angry with the way RCI does business! Already cancelled the cruise, because we wanted a particular itinerary for particular reasons, (seeing friends is a main one!) and not the one we got. We also cancelled the cruise for other reasons having to do with how RCI handles their business. We do not approve of what they do. It's our bailiwick! We do not support companies that do business this way. Unfortunately, we could not do anything about the $$ this time, but we will never do business with them again and we will do our best to persuade as many of our friends and fellow cruisers to do the same! I will post on Social Media as well! 

Now I can sleep in tomorrow and not have to wake up to a 5 AM alarm clock to get ready for a flight to Florida! 😴😴 I can swim in my own pool without hundreds of other people and we can relax without waiting in line while thousands of other people try to cram into two banks of elevators!!! 😂😂 I can use my one home elevator (we are disabled and had one put in for that reason) without other people trying to cram in there with me!!! I can eat what I like without having my meals with hundreds of others having conversations at the same time, with that constant steady low roar of voices. (And I won't feel the anger that would have welled up in me when we docked at Puerto Rico instead of St. Thomas and when we bypassed Coco Cay!) I can go to the local water park if I want to enjoy a wave pool with hundreds of other people, and I can enjoy my videos and photos of past cruises that I enjoyed! It's sad not to be on a ship, 😢 I do love being at sea, 🌊🌊🚢 🌊🌊 but....we'll be on a month long cruise in a few1 months, so I am okay for now! 👌

I don't feel punished! I feel relieved that I don't have to deal anymore with a company so inept, that they run ships that have a defective propulsion system that they plan to TAKE ON A TRANSATLANTIC CRUISE with one propulsion system Pod not functioning, to go into Drydock NOT UNTIL NEXT MARCH!!! They will be running a ship with a propulsion defect until next March!!! I am happy NOT to be on that ship! 

And a company so inept they cannot post itinerary changes in a timely fashion. It's unacceptable! They may have taken our money this time, but they will NEVER see a dime of ours again and we talk to many cruisers about what cruise lines to avoid also! We cruise 3 times a year and are at the highest level loyalty program with several other cruise lines and are just as happy to keep cruising with them with no problems...We can live without RCI!

I am just happy to have read Cruise Critic and found that thread about the propulsion issue! One Pod not working at all! Good luck and GOD Bless to all those who plan to go on the transatlantic cruise on that ship next year! What if they lose another Pod, or both? They will have to be towed into Europe! I like cruise lines who FIX problems when they have them! They may have to take ships out of service, and cancel cruises, but at least you know you are running on a full engine!!! There are so many cruise ships out there now and more being built everyday! They just can't stand to lose a dime if they can run a ship with a defective engine!!!  That does not give me great faith in how RCI operates...It actually gives me pause to think about how awfully they run their business and how half-assed they run their ships with a propulsion unit out! MAYBE it's not dangerous, but it still gives me pause to think about being on a ship that has a less than 100% engine system! 😲

I am grateful for Cruise Critic for keeping me aware of issues! Now, I will have to check them everyday to see what is happening with my favorite cruise lines! I won't ever need to come back to RCI boards, thankfully.

• Haha 1

A quick visit to this sailing's Roll Call will show that the change was made on May 1st.  There were people who booked AFTER that date and knew of the change.

If I booked with a travel agent, then the TA will be responsible for any screw ups. I hired them for a reason: to facilitate my vacations and trips. So I find it hard to see why you are shaming the cruise line and forgiving your TA.

• Like 3