Possible hurricane

Responder

3 hours ago, mafig said:

My personal favorite hurricane tip is to fill the bathtub.  You can use the water to flush the toilets.

We do that too. My late mom did it for hurricanes and blizzards (because If we lost elect, we'd lose the elect start to the furnace and well pump) 

Have to say--after IRMA-- I realized how miserable it is to be without AC..It was cooler outside than in... yet after a certain hour the gnats etc were crazy.

Happy for cold showers--but the heat and lack of sleep was miserable

Edited by Fogfog

My favorite hurricane web resource site is: https://spaghettimodels.com/

I live in Houston and this is my "go to" site whenever we are in danger.

Note that it contains links to the NHC so need to worry about missing any updates from them. Also, the site's owner has a Facebook site that is also linked to at the web site above. When loading this site it contains a huge amount of information and, for me anyway, the owner's Facebook postings install last. Be sure to wait since the Facebook information is very good.

Good luck to all cruisers who have travel plans Labor Day weekend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mafig said:

We lost water for three weeks after Hurricane Charley.  We're not on a well. 

No electricity either.

We lost electricity, but not water, after Charley. And you'd need more than a tub for three weeks' of flushes! 😁

P.S. Props for spelling "Charley" correctly. 😉

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

We lost electricity, but not water, after Charley. And you'd need more than a tub for three weeks' of flushes! 😁

P.S. Props for spelling "Charley" correctly. 😉

Well, I know we lost water   (do you live in Punta Gorda?  PG almost always turns off the water because they're afraid it'll get contaminated).....I remember my greasy hair.  I also remember that the one thing I didn't do was fill the tub with water, so we had to use our pool for flushing, so after Charley I always fill the tub.  

Edited by mafig

We are currently on the Equinox.

Tonight at dinner, the Captain made the following announcement, “Because of hurricane Dorian, we a revising our times in Grand Caymen. We will be arriving one hour earlier and departing one hour earlier. This should ensure a safe disembarkation and embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale, Saturday.”

If this happens, I would guess an earlier boarding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Tonight at dinner, the Captain made the following announcement, “Because of hurricane Dorian, we a revising our times in Grand Caymen. We will be arriving one hour earlier and departing one hour earlier. This should ensure a safe disembarkation and embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale, Saturday.”

Thanks for that update. We are boarding Saturday

( hopefully) and could only guess at what Celebrity had planned.

11 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Thanks for that update. We are boarding Saturday

( hopefully) and could only guess at what Celebrity had planned.

You’re welcome.

This is a pretty fluid situation, if there is any updates from here, I’ll try to post it asap.

It doesn’t really affect us as we are staying on for the next cruise. We have been on the other side of the fence so we know what the uncertainty does to ones mind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You’re welcome.

This is a pretty fluid situation, if there is any updates from here, I’ll try to post it asap.

It doesn’t really affect us as we are staying on for the next cruise. We have been on the other side of the fence so we know what the uncertainty does to ones mind. 

Perfect timing for a B2B ! 

I, and others, have shared your info on the Hurricane Zone board and the Facebook group for our cruise. It is appreciated!

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Interesting.  We're already scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale at 3:30 which is early for there.  Generally, the holdup is getting the ship provisioned.  Wonder if they will be able to speed up the dock workers so we can depart early.  I guess I had better hit the Alley a bit earlier than planned.  Have heard nothing from Celebrity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Equinox out of FLL generally has muster drill at 2:45 and sails at 3:30.

Entirely possible.  I've not sailed Equinox our of Fort Lauderdale yet this year.  In all the sailings I've done out of Fort Lauderdale, departure has been 5:00 p.m.  And usually ends up being later.

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Trust me.  Muster will definitely be at 2:45.   Sail away may be delayed but is scheduled for 3:30 unless changed due to Dorian.  Hope you have a safe cruise!

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Trust me.  Muster will definitely be at 2:45.   Sail away may be delayed but is scheduled for 3:30 unless changed due to Dorian.  Hope you have a safe cruise!

Saturday the muster drill was at 2:45 and we sailed about 3:40.

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Saturday the muster drill was at 2:45 and we sailed about 3:40.

Agree, we were on Equinox for the August 10 sailing and I remember thinking that was an early, early departure- about 3:30.

Boarding was so painless, I wonder if now they are ABLE to leave earlier

According to the latest forecast the hurricane won't hit florida until Sunday evening or Monday. Since we are sailing at 3:30 on Saturday it seems we could sail as scheduled and get out of there before it hits. Whether we will still go to the same ports...who knows?

As far as sailing early on Saturday it seems like that would be difficult as most people's flight times are already set.  Probably with most coming in on sailing day.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

No matter which direction you are sailing, you'll probably hit some rough seas.  Don't forget to pack your bonine/seasick meds/patches before you embark.  🍷

If they change the itinerary to the Western Caribbean I doubt there will be any higher winds than that on a normal cruise. If they decide to sail to the Eastern Caribbean which IMHO is still entirely possible the Captain will probably take the route that is off the Cuban coast and the winds are projected maybe a little higher than normal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Based on the latest weather reports, I would assume the airports will close and the ships will not depart as scheduled.  Good luck to those who have planned a cruise for this weekend and to those currently on the ships planning to disembark on the weekend.

I don't know what weather reports you're reading, but no reason for the ports to close on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't know what weather reports you're reading, but no reason for the ports to close on Saturday.

You are correct! Projections seem to be consistent that the storm will make land either Sunday or Monday. Hope to join you on  September 7th and hopefully only good stories.