Port Stop Time Reductions

aquidneck1

15 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

Jan - As you probably know, your Dec Sirena cruise is affected (Santa Barbara day shortened by 2 hrs) also the following cruise (San Francisco day shortened by 2 hrs). This seems to have popped up as SOP with 'O for the last couple of weeks. BTW - also, both of our Oct Insignia cruises have had some ports shortened by 2 hrs.

So do they notify you or do you just have to keep checking?

34 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Since Oceania knows about this now, I think we have a class action suit coming if they pull this stunt on a Southern Carribean cruise.

I don't think your suit, if ever pursued would go anywhere.  Your cruise contract, which you accept the minute you hand them your first dollar explicitly states: "Oceania Cruises S. de R.L. reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or cruisetour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant."  Since definition of "conditions warrant" is in their "sole judgement", they can basically do whatever they want.  While they would most certainly lose customers, they could theoretically leave port and just sail around in circles for the duration of your cruise and return to port (assuming a round trip cruise of course).

16 minutes ago, ropomo said:

I don't think your suit, if ever pursued would go anywhere.  Your cruise contract, which you accept the minute you hand them your first dollar explicitly states: "Oceania Cruises S. de R.L. reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or cruisetour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant."  Since definition of "conditions warrant" is in their "sole judgement", they can basically do whatever they want.  While they would most certainly lose customers, they could theoretically leave port and just sail around in circles for the duration of your cruise and return to port (assuming a round trip cruise of course).

+1000

It's a CRUISE, stop thinking point to point transportation.

25 minutes ago, ropomo said:

While they would most certainly lose customers, they could theoretically leave port and just sail around in circles for the duration of your cruise and return to port (assuming a round trip cruise of course).

I do not think this is allowed from US  embarkations ports

They banned cruises to nowhere a few years back  😎

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think this is allowed from US  embarkations ports

They banned cruises to nowhere a few years back  😎

In 2016 to be exact.

The reason for the bann is interesting and has to do with "the help"

D-1 visa holders are not eligible to serve as crew members aboard ‘cruises to nowhere,’   Such cruises must be staffed by U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents authorized to work in the United States.

4 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Odd how it's always shorter, never longer.

We had our itin change on BA to San Antonio in December 2019 on the Marina.  Notified by our TA.  Arriving one hour later, departing one hour later.  It was an early morning arrival (6am to 7am) so it changed nothing.  Can't remember the port, I just changed it on my spreadsheet and moved on.  The cruise before this, Rio to BA, has not changed at all as clo has stated above.  

I'm wondering if this is a Caribbean issue?  Though I can't imagine what the issue would be....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Hi Don

Sorry to go off topic but could you tell me the date and ship for this cruise. We have been waiting for one to the Black Sea but can’t find it on the UK website.

Thanks.

Brenda

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/grand-voyage-cruises/istanbul-to-rome-NAU210826A/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23search-result-anchor

Looks like a neat cruise to me.  We booked at 8:30 AM on the day the cruise was opened to booking and my first choice cabin selections were already booked.  I suspect that this one will sell out.

DON

14 hours ago, sunnies said:

Hi Don,

We are on the same cruise of the Black Sea and Greek Islands. We have been devotees of Oceania since 2007 and rarely have port times been shortened on our cruises. 

Have you logged onto the roll call.  At some time I am going to start looking at ToursbyLocals tours and posting them on the roll call. I rarely do ship tours.

DON

In addition to a shortening of Port Time in Santa Barbara by two hours (later arrival) on the December cruise mentioned above, we had two changes on the London to Dublin segment of the Royal Rendezvous cruise in July, 2020.  

Our port time in Edinburgh (Leith) was extended by 2 hrs 15 minutes with a later departure time, followed by a shortened port time in Invergordon, by 1 hour...2 hr later arrival and a 1 hour later departure.  But this is 10 months out, well before final payment.

Edited by 1985rz1

23 hours ago, ropomo said:

However they commit fraud by not advising schedule changes (apparently known to them, as current members are stating) PRIOR TO Final Payment , the contract can be voided, if they subsequently change the schedules they had prior knowledge about.   

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/grand-voyage-cruises/istanbul-to-rome-NAU210826A/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23search-result-anchor

Looks like a neat cruise to me.  We booked at 8:30 AM on the day the cruise was opened to booking and my first choice cabin selections were already booked.  I suspect that this one will sell out.

DON

Thanks, Don, will take a look!

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...

We just received a note that they are reverting back to the original times on our upcoming cruise:

We would like to advise you of a further revision to your upcoming cruise itinerary on October 12, 2019 aboard Insignia.

Oceania Cruises is pleased to advise that after additional review we are reverting to the original arrival and departure times as noted below:

DATE

DAY

PORT

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

15-Oct-19

TUE

PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN

10:00 PM

6:00 PM

17-Oct-19

THU

CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

We look forward to providing you with a memorable cruise experience.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:00 PM, aquidneck1 said:

Very discouraging that Oceania would knock 1-2 hours off 90% of the port times just the day after final payment was due.  I have been so impressed with our previous cruises but this is really discouraging.  This particular cruise is in the Caribbean on the Riviera but none of the ports were affected by the hurricane.  I will have to think very carefully about booking with them again.  Most of our plans are now ruined.  Maybe they can't sell their own excursions as this may be the only option with such short port stops.  

Oceania seems to be doing this often.  On my recent June18 Sirena cruise,times were changed in several ports and one  port switched to another port only Costa goes to. They also had Seville listed as a stop but changed the docking times 2x and then cancelled the excursions to Seville as there was not enough time to go to Seville. Seville is one of the best cities to visit and one of the reasons I took this cruise. Management at Oceania is getting worse and they obviously feel they can do what they want.      I would recommend everyone be careful about booking Oceania.

Good morning all!

I received a email from our TA at O.

our upcoming cruise on Riviera doing a TA 

shows a operational change arriving in Malaga Spain at 8am instead of 9!

This is not a big deal for us but I can see from OP’s view on what has happened to him and others could be a problem!

It is the cruise ships prerogative to do what they want of course.

Denise😊 

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Everyone here is lucky they didn't just omit some ports which they are also often won't to do.And let's not forget themes time they spend in port they smaller their port fees. Anyone here getting a refund of those fees?

But are port fees per hour?   Somehow I'm thinking they aren't - although I suppose dock workers might have to be paid overtime on occasion if the ship stays late.

I can tell you what some of the problem is. Just too many cruise ships for some of the ports and unlike river boats, ocean cruise liners don’t raft! While some lines like Oceania rarely or only occasionally over night at ports, many of the other lines do regularly, especially the multiple European lines. So while Oceania May have originally  booked a port 2 years prior for 8:00-18:00 ,  another line may have come in with an offer to dock 18:00-08:00 commencing the day before and the Port Master took the money and bounced Oceania out an hour until 09:00. I know of cases where that has happened on both ends of a port stay. The Harbor Authorities are there to maximize facility usage and revenue and they have to do it during the cruise season! If that means scheduling get bumped around a bit, so be it. I’m sure you can get all the dock time you want in Tallin in January. July maybe not!

I would agree with you if the port time changes were early in the morning or late in the afternoon.  Many of these were changes from 10:00AM to 12:00PM arrival or 4:00PM to 3:00PM departure.  I suppose ships are arriving at different times but  midday changes are more difficult to explain. 

It does sound like it is a cost-cutting measure either for port fees or slower cruising speeds.  Since they are changing some of the times back (ours was changed back), it may be that people figured out what they were doing and called them on it.  Companies don't always ignore their customers.

After noting a decline in RCI food, I dropped a note that went up the food (pardon the pun) chain.  I received a call from a VP when we returned and, on our next cruise, we were met inside the terminal in Miami by the head of the hotel staff and the head chef.  We had special food all week and so much attention that it was almost embarrassing (we got over that quickly).  Even when we were in the buffet, we had special attention.

While that was very nice, it doesn't necessarily address the long-term decline in food and service that is apparent on all cruise lines.  But, it does show that not everything that we say falls on dead ears.