Check Luggage size limits

WCKrieger

What is normal airlines limits for checked luggage size limits for the 50# bag. American Airlines says its 62" which is height + width+ length. My typical luggage is 82" and my large luggage is 95. According to America Airlines that will subject it to a $200 surcharge.  

From Holland America website

Weight and size

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked bag allowance is:

• Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
  • Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
  • For First / Business, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs

Edited by WCKrieger

I’m pretty sure you were looking at American Airlines’ baggage policy, not Holland America.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

From the above-referenced page:

Weight and size

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

Since I usually fly American if possible, I rechecked dimensions on their website.  Yes, you have dimensions correct.  And yes, you will be charged extra.  Why on earth do you need such large luggage?

I am trying to rethink my packing requirements for my upcoming two cruises going from Canada to South America.  My large bag totals 55” and I want to consolidate to a smaller bag.

Holland America doesn’t care about the size of your luggage, but American and other airlines surely DO care!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WCKrieger said:

What is normal airlines limits for checked luggage size limits for the 50# bag. American Airlines says its 62" which is height + width+ length. My typical luggage is 82" and my large luggage is 95. According to America Airlines that will subject it to a $200 surcharge.  

Weight and size

Not sure where you found that information on the Holland America site as all I could find is;

"Restrictions: Airlines, limousines and other transfer vehicles have
baggage allowance policies which may limit the amount and/or
weight of baggage you may take with you and/or impose baggage
charges. You are responsible for complying with the policies. Please
keep this in mind when packing."

https://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/guests/edox_wynk_printfriendly.pdf

14 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

Holland America has no policy on luggage size.

On my first cruise ever, I boarded and finished in my home city with no air travel. During a call to ask HAL about luggage size, after the rep realized no airline, he explained that some people on the world cruises bring on-board an old fashioned steamer trunk. Stored away deep in the ship until disembarkation. No worries about my two suitcases!

15 hours ago, WCKrieger said:

Weight and size

AA size and weight limits are normal. How do you even buy luggage that big? And why would you want to?  Or have you never flown before? In that case, I'll be kinder, but I have a tough time keeping within the 50 lb range with regular size limits for longer cruises with formal nights or if we're in cooler climates. A 50% larger bag is crazy! I'd be why over the weight limit trying to half-fill the bag! And your back must kill you! 

Wow, 82" and 95" linear inches. Those are some big bags. The biggest we have some old 29/31" tall bags that we don't use anymore, because the weigh about 15 pounds empty. And even those still come in under the 62 linear inches capacity. I once loaded up one of those to over 90 pounds once, when I was coming back from a 9 month remote assignment in the late 90s and the excess baggage fee was much less than the shipping cost. 

I'd be curious as to exact what the dimension are on those bags, as I don't think I've ever seen any that large in the stores.

Also, in my 20+ years of travel I've almost never seen the bag check folks whip out a tape measure. They just look at the scale and price accordingly. 

Edited by drowelf

Weight and size

WHAT are you traveling with, a bodybag!?!?  Tough part with bigger luggage is keeping weight under 50 lbs in my experience.

I think one of our bags is like 62.5 and I've never had an issue with it (knock on wood).  Much larger is a different story.  You'd likely be better off traveling with two smaller bags versus a large bag that's 95 inches (p.s. that's a huge bag!) anyway though.

Added in edit: paying for a 2nd bag is cheaper than paying the overweight/oversized fee on most airlines as well.  For planning purposes, it usu. is cheaper on airlines for each pax to check 1 bag versus 1 person checking 2 bags. 

Edited by jb008

Weight and size

Read the post carefully guys. The OP is asking about air travel on American Airlines. Presumably they have booked a flight on AA to their cruise through HAL's flight program, whence they've found this info on luggage size/weight.

OP: The info is correct for AA. Bags are weighed on check-in. IME they are not always measured but will be if they look too large by "eyeball verification".

He is asking about "normal airlines limits for checked luggage size limits." Then he implies a quote " From Holland America website"   and then follows it with information directly from some unknown (apparently AA?)  airline website. No wonder we are all confused.

20 years ago my husband I each took a bag as big as the original poster on several cruises.  We quit cruising for awhile and when we came back to traveling you could no longer take the bigger bags without added fees.  Goodwill got our donations.  

The post made me get a tape measure and measure the luggage we just bought.  It measures 29x18x13 inches for a total of 60 inches.  Just under the max of 62".  I know the airlines always mention the size requirements for a carry-on, but they seem to seldom enforce it.

6 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The post made me get a tape measure and measure the luggage we just bought.  It measures 29x18x13 inches for a total of 60 inches.  Just under the max of 62".  I know the airlines always mention the size requirements for a carry-on, but they seem to seldom enforce it.

Amen.  Just watch all the passengers who try to cram an over-large carry-on into the overhead bin.  When it doesn't fit, they keep pushing to no avail.  Most of the time, the steward/stewardess has to compel the person to let them check it.  Meanwhile, the line, causing a delay.

Oh, the lovely aspects of flying these days!  😣 

I remember those giant bags. We used to have two of them in the 90's and used them when we would travel to Asia for several weeks at a time for my dh's business. They were huge! They never worried about weight back then either. Once I curled up in one and my dh could almost zip me up in it!  I was less bulky back then. LOL - and much more limber. And easier entertained. LOL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gypsymama5996 said:

I remember those giant bags. We used to have two of them in the 90's and used them when we would travel to Asia for several weeks at a time for my dh's business. They were huge! They never worried about weight back then either. Once I curled up in one and my dh could almost zip me up in it!  I was less bulky back then. LOL - and much more limber. And easier entertained. LOL.

And we were able to lift and handle them, too. Those were the days....

• Like 1

The bags measure larger because of the wheels.  It's still a 26" suitcase, but adding another 2" for the wheels.  I usually travel with a 26" (aka 28") and sometimes with both a 26 and a 24 with wheels for longer cruises and haven't had any problems with AA or Delta.   Plus, we fly first class, where you're allotted a few more pounds per piece.   

As for agents not checking for oversize luggage, I would say it depends on the destinations of flights out of your airport.   Just as an example, my home airport has a few flights to Latin America.  These get loaded up with year-round and seasonal workers who are taking large bags and boxes home with them.  I try to avoid the check-your-bag area at the times these flights are going - the lines get way too long with the agents having to measure and weigh every bag.