How is the beer?

KrakedMask

Leaving on the Sunrise in 3 weeks and am an avid beer drinker! The lady and I are getting the drink package but what beers are the best for the amount you get per day? We're on a 5 day with 10 of our friends and don't want to get blasted every day but still want to have fun. We like everything basically but stouts so please don't hate

If by "best" you mean ABV then the IPA's are going to be your best bet.  They carry Angel City and Rebel.   Rest is you usual Bud/Miller/Coors with a few other odd balls.  Not a big selection really.  If I was going to only be drinking beer I wouldn't get Cheers and would buy buckets.  

1 minute ago, coevan said:

15 beers X $6 = $90.  Cheers is $56

Yes, I know how math works as well I assume most others on this forum.  Cheers is extemely personalized in what works and doesn't.  I said if **I** was only drinking beer I would not buy Cheers.  The OP and you may be different.  I buy Cheers for the mixed drinks.  My wife drinks at most two a day and we still make out ahead, I like my booze.  For beer only I'd buy buckets. 

• Like 1

I have found the domestic beers on the cruise ships to cost more than beers such as Heineken.  They also offer some beers in larger sizes, which only count as 1 against your drink package.  When you look at the menu, they list the ounces.  Also, there are newer Thirsty Frog beers that are available in cans.  We tasted all of them and one was quite yummy.   It's called Thirsty Frog Caribbean Wheat Ale.  My husband loves to try a different beer each time, but found this one and it was his "go-to" beer.  

Edited by CruizCuz
  • Like 1

Remember the beers are 16oz beers, at least the IPAs were.  That is all I drank.

For cheers will you drink 40 beers to break even per person? Oh don’t forget the milkshakes you forgot you loved and specialty coffee.

A few weeks ago for IPAs they had Angel City, Rebel, and Parched Pig.  They were all good.

Have a great trip!

On most of the cruises I've been on the Thirsty Frog Red was my go to beer as that's all they had on draft.  I prefer draft beer and prefer the TFR over the other choices they have.  I will be on the Horizon in just over a week and am really looking forward to the other beers they have on draft there.  You don't  drink stouts, but I don't drink IPAs, so I will just be skipping the one IPA they brew there and partake of the others.

I am happy they are branching out to craft brewed beer as I don't care much for their can/bottle selection.  Now if they would just get Guinness cans on board I would be set.

The Parched Pig IPA was my go-to last cruise.....however I did also enjoy the Thirsty Frog Caribbean Wheat and the Parched Pig Amber.

Carnival really carries a good selection of craft beers now.  If I remember they had 2 or 3 Sam Adams, a couple more IPA's, Blue Moon, Sierra Nevada and a few more I have forgotten by now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ray98 said:

The Parched Pig IPA was my go-to last cruise.....however I did also enjoy the Thirsty Frog Caribbean Wheat and the Parched Pig Amber.

Are these on all ships now? In cans, or just on tap for the Vista/Horizon where the brew pubs are?

What I do when on board is visit each bar to find what beer they're serving.On the ships I've sailed the past few years The Red Frog Pub has had a nice selection of beers. Usually they'll have a lager and or wheat, ipa,red and a porter along with other beers. Was on the Vista a few years ago and served Heineken and New Castle on tap. When your on your cruise could take a couple of pics of beer menus and uploaded to CC. Thanks, enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Are these on all ships now? In cans, or just on tap for the Vista/Horizon where the brew pubs are?

AFAIK.....they have even made it to the Fantasy class ships that our last cruise was on.  They were all in 16oz cans and served at all bars.

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

This was the standard menu on our summer sailing.

IMG_20190507_115820176_1.jpg

The Paulaner hefeweizen is a great beer.  They didn't have it last tiime I cruised so that along with the Carnival crafts will keep me very happy.

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I believe so. The Magic had them in cans and on tap in the Red Frog Pub.

21 hours ago, boomhower said:

Yes, I know how math works as well I assume most others on this forum.  Cheers is extemely personalized in what works and doesn't.  I said if **I** was only drinking beer I would not buy Cheers.  The OP and you may be different.  I buy Cheers for the mixed drinks.  My wife drinks at most two a day and we still make out ahead, I like my booze.  For beer only I'd buy buckets. 

A tad snarky

9 hours ago, ray98 said:

Looking forward to trying these on the Sunrise in a month. I favor belgian ales, pale ales, and stouts, maybe a porter. Hopefully blue moons are in the 16 oz cans.

6 hours ago, ishap said:

The Paulaner hefeweizen is a great beer.  They didn't have it last tiime I cruised so that along with the Carnival crafts will keep me very happy.

Thanks for sharing. love the paulaner hefewiezen myself. Looks like carnival has an updated beer menu. Coney island is good to,