Grandeur Sold

7 hours ago, SRF said:

We will give Enchantment a chance.

But if it is as bad as the current real time review is going, it is possible we will not cruise.

We are not interested in the mega ships.  And flying to FL makes the cruise that much more expensive and time consuming.

We would probably just do land vacations.

What did you read in the review that has you so concerned ?     Nothing jumped out at me that is much different than things are on Grandure  from my many cruises. 

7 hours ago, Tatka said:

Enchantment is doing 4-7 days cruises with majority being shorter than 7 days. It is very different cruises and atmosphere. If they switched effect will be the same.

I also read some horrible reviews about one of the best cruises we had.. so gain of salt is a must .

yeah, 4 & 5 day cruises tend to be party cruises. 11 & 12 day cruises are more relaxed. very different environment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

I did the drive once.  Only had one other driver.  We had to do it nonstop (we stopped for gas and bathroom breaks).  We took a big risk as we left the morning before the cruise.  So it had to be "nonstop" or we'd miss the cruise and the rental was only for 1 day.

Now, I fly to NJ and FL.  I'd take an Uber for a 15 minute ride to Boston's cruise port.  I wish we had some of the large ships embark from here (Anthem and Oasis).

We live one our outside of Boston, so it’s kind of going backward for us. With riding to the airport, waiting for a flight , we’d rather just drive 3.5 hours.
I’m a good driver, but my husband is a bad passenger 🙂 so he does all driving. To NJ we leave at 6:30-7 am We had 10 out of NJ,  2 out of Brooklyn, 6 out of Manhattan. Those are easy.

To get to Baltimore we start at 2am, we can do it later, but don’t want to face much of morning traffic. We just arrive in Baltimore park and watch Grandeur till we can board. We do some tailgating 🙂🙂 🙂 

To Florida it’s 22 hours. Usually we start at 5 pm so we get some traffic in the beginning, but mostly avoid it, then at 3 pm next day we are in our hotel in Boca Raton or Fort  Lauderdale  and cruise next day.

On cruises from Boston or NJ/NY I count disembarkation day as work day (start working while driving) so I don’t waste vacation days.

We used to fly to Florida ... but we had one really bad flight (to cruise from California), so my husband isn’t a great passenger anymore... plus with all mess in airports , prices to fly in US which rival transatlantic flights prices ... it is just not worth it. So we drive.

In Boston we have pretty limited itins and times when cruises are available. We did Brilliance of the Seas, HAL Veendam, Carnival Glory to Canada, NCL Dawn to Bermuda and this year we had amazing 14 day cruise on NCL Gem to Southern Caribbean in March (several months after 12 dayer on Grandeur for Christmas/NY to Southern Caribbeans)

I don’t need large ships from Boston , but nice itineraries are greatly appreciated!

Edited by Tatka

4 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Talking about costs, why is RCCL not finally getting rid of Majesty and Empress? In case Cuba would become an option again couldn’t a Radiance or Vision class be deployed for that?

Empress will do unique itins to Bermuda with 4 nights there St George’s/Hamilton and also all the way to Montreal, which only smallest modern massmarket ships can do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scottd501 said:

What did you read in the review that has you so concerned ?     Nothing jumped out at me that is much different than things are on Grandure  from my many cruises. 

Condition of the ship.  Unresponsive crew.

Thank you, thank you, OP for posting this, and everyone else for keeping it on the front page of the Forum!  Because I saw this thread, I booked our next (last:classic_sad:) Grandeur cruise today. 

DH and I had always intended to take another cruise on her, in the same GS we had last time.  But if I hadn't seen this thread, I would probably not have known about this sad news until it was too late to book anything we would want.  At the rate the Suites are being snapped up on the remaining Grandeur sailings in just the last three days, I'm sure they'll be gone soon.  As of an hour ago, there was only one GS left on only one 9-Night or longer cruise. 

In the good news department, the flash sale price on our Owner's Suite for this 12-Night sailing is lower than what we paid for our Grand Suite on a 10-Night back in 2014!😀

So thank you, thank you, thank you!

On 10/19/2019 at 4:55 AM, Tatka said:

Empress will do unique itins to Bermuda with 4 nights there St George’s/Hamilton and also all the way to Montreal, which only smallest modern massmarket ships can do.

Well it looks like RCCL is using the itinararies to keep the ship lucrative, but we will see for how much longer. I doubt they will invest into the ship another dry ock

45 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Well it looks like RCCL is using the itinararies to keep the ship lucrative, but we will see for how much longer. I doubt they will invest into the ship another dry ock

I think RCI will get rid of her, they just had to make plans quickly after Cuba announcement.

Sad to see Gradneur go, but that´s the way it is- i suppose. Grandeur will be always special- the very ship that get me hooked.

She was still in her inaugural season in Febuary 1997- and I also still have those books of the Vision Class ships I sailed!

" Vision in train"- !

Back then they were considered Mega- ships- or Mega- liners! Stunning view´s - very connected with the sea from every twist and turn. Those wonderful views out to the sea seem to have gone out of date with RCI and some other Cruise Lines!

For me - my time on boad RCI ships ended with the Voyager Class- even that seemed to big for my taste!

My favorite´s are the Vision and the Radicance Class! I will be back on a RCI ship next year- just to humor my partner, who wants the " Biggest Ship in the World experience" for once! Maybe I like- maybe not- one should go with an open mind- but I have my fears...! LOL!

I will try to sail Grandeur for a last time under her given name- just as kind of a farewell!

Interesting info.

I was talking a friend who has sailed on Lady G a LOT. 

Her first cruise was on Enchantment, out of Baltimore.  She said, there was much anguish about Grandeur replacing Enchantment when that occurred.  She figured that they moved Enchantment due to the two outdoor pools.  Much more useful for FL sailings that Baltimore.

She also stated, that in discussions with the crew, that the FL 3 - 4 night cruises are VERY trying on the crew.  And that once Enchantment comes to Baltimore, and the crew gets to do longer cruises, and meet the large number of returning passengers, they service will be better.

Also that, when they swapped ships the last time, there was a lot of crew movement from Enchantment to Grandeur.  So maybe we will see this.  But, then again, last time, the outgoing ship was staying in RCI.

I will mourn the loss of the Lady G.  But will give Enchantment a try.  But will probably wait 6 - 12 months after the move to give her and her crew time to settle into the new market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

She also stated, that in discussions with the crew, that the FL 3 - 4 night cruises are VERY trying on the crew.

Laura told me the Mariner Captain couldn't wait to get a new contract on a 7 day. Turnaround day twice a week was killing him. 

37 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura told me the Mariner Captain couldn't wait to get a new contract on a 7 day. Turnaround day twice a week was killing him. 

I imagine twice a week is hard on a lot of the crew. Especially the house keeping staff and those responsible for unloading and putting away new supplies.

I thought I couldn't love a ship more than Enchantment but Lady G won out. It is my favorite ship. This is sad but not as sad as not having one sailing out of Baltimore. That would be horrible. But I guess if they keep sailing full then we shouldn't worry, right?

On 10/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, SRF said:

And as mentioned, for those of us in the area, having to fly to take a cruise, greatly increases the cost.  Airline, at least one night hotel to arrive the day before, meals, etc.  And it will affect my planning on whether to cruise, or just fly to an island for a week.

Anthem is a 3 hour drive from Baltimore. Don't necessarily have to fly to cruise for those living near Baltimore. Port Canaveral & Port Everglades are 7 / 10 hour drives for us...

We had booked Grandeur in April 2021.  We have been given 3 options

• Move our booking up earlier (not an option for us)
  • Move our booking to another ship (and we will receive $200 up to Bal or $400 for Suite OBC)
  • Cancel and get our money back.

We must decide by Oct 30.  It would be helpful if they gave us an Enchantment option out of Baltimore prior to that deadline.

The deadline seems a bit short as well.  It would be nice to opt for #2 but confirm booking once more itinerary options are released.

• Like 1