Confused when Summit is doing Dublin to Boston and pricing at 6500 per person???

Harborgirl246

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Pure insanity.

$42000 for a S1 guarantee.

Celebrity lost their minds. In my last cruise, Future Cruise Vacations on board the Millennium quoted me over $32,000 for a S2 in an itinerary I was interested in. Needless to say, I did not proceed with the reservation.

Edited by tjunmin

6 minutes ago, tjunmin said:

Celebrity lost their minds. In my last cruise, Future Cruise Vacations on board the Millennium quoted me over $32,000 for a S2 in an itinerary I was interested in. Needless to say, I did not proceed with the reservation.

Roger that.

I can't imagine who would think that a Celebrity Sky Suite (basically a mini-suite with the suite benefits) could possibly be worth $3000 per day.  I can't even imagine the kind of travel we could do with that kind of dough.  But it sure wouldn't be on a Celebrity ship, not even Flora.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tjunmin said:

They really have gone beserk with the Sky Suite prices ever since Edge came along. Which made the Tampa Constellation sailings worth pouncing on when they were first announced, with SS prices similar to ore-Luminae days.

This Dublin-Iceland-Greenland-US is a unique itinerary -- at an unusual time of year.  Not exactly a repositioning cruise, but a one-off over-and-back making a round trip (two cruises) from Boston to Dublin and return.  Who knows if they will ever repeat it?  These two cruises are classic examples of supply and demand driving prices. 

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

They really have gone beserk with the Sky Suite prices ever since Edge came along. Which made the Tampa Constellation sailings worth pouncing on when they were first announced, with SS prices similar to ore-Luminae days.

Yes! We booked a SS the very first day Tampa cruises were released. Otherwise we would never pay the prices X is laughably quoting these days. 

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Pure insanity.

$42000 for a S1 guarantee.

Yep. $1,500 per person per night for S1. It would be interesting to see if the prices come down as it gets closer to sailing time. Also, it is a 14 night cruise with some very interesting ports.

17 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Yep. $1,500 per person per night for S1. It would be interesting to see if the prices come down as it gets closer to sailing time. Also, it is a 14 night cruise with some very interesting ports.

SInce lots of categories are in Guarantee, I would not expect prices to come down much.

Yes, Qaqortoq an interesting port but the rest of the ports on lots of sailings. Simply don't see the value there.  Are they trying to buy Greenland or visit it?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

I know...the prices are insane!! I even called my rep at X to question her WHY?...she's not even sure...but I guess the ship is close to being sold out!!! Just WILD!!!

We booked a similar itinerary that is the repo for RCI Sept 2,2020 that instead of Ireland starts in Amsterdam, goes to Norwegian fjords for two stops, then hits up Reykjavik and akureyri, and then Nuuk, Qaqortoq, and Prince Christiansen Sound.  It sold out completely in 4 months.  You cannot even be waitlisted and it was pulled from their website.   

Supply and demand.  Greenland is not a common stop for X and RCI and with the new polar code taking full effect in 2021 will likely never be a stop for them again.

We debated changing to the summit sailing but really liked the Norway stops instead Canada plus the extra stop in Greenland.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Yes, Qaqortoq an interesting port but the rest of the ports on lots of sailings. Simply don't see the value there.

HAL regularly does a very popular cruise called the Voyage of the Vikings (you can do a B2B and go round trip from the U.S.), and a similar itinerary called the Viking Passage.  We did the latter in the summer of 2018 (it was our first cruise with HAL) and it was a fabulous adventure.   And, looking at the Summit's itinerary here, as interesting as it is (and I'm sure folks will have a great time), I think HAL's was even more interesting, quite frankly.  

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

HAL regularly does a very popular cruise called the Voyage of the Vikings (you can do a B2B and go round trip from the U.S.), and a similar itinerary called the Viking Passage.  We did the latter in the summer of 2018 (it was our first cruise with HAL) and it was a fabulous adventure.   And, looking at the Summit's itinerary here, as interesting as it is (and I'm sure folks will have a great time), I think HAL's was even more interesting, quite frankly.  

As I posted above, there are other cruise lines offering a similar itinerary with more days for less money.

21 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

They needed to be way under S and E class pricing to be fair. Connie is 17 years old and in dire need of her planned upgrade. Caribbean sailings are less costly than elsewhere and the itineraries are very 'predictable'. The M class sky suites are smaller than other ships, there's no Retreat as of yet and Michael's and Luminae are not quite as nice as newer ships so I believe they had to get pricing right here. P.S I don't dislike Connie, I type this whilst onboard her. 

I guess the point I'm making is just because they ramp up suite pricing on the new ships doesn't mean that cheaper pricing on M class is great value though. I really hope that makes sense? 

21 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

This Dublin-Iceland-Greenland-US is a unique itinerary -- at an unusual time of year.  Not exactly a repositioning cruise, but a one-off over-and-back making a round trip (two cruises) from Boston to Dublin and return.  Who knows if they will ever repeat it?  These two cruises are classic examples of supply and demand driving prices. 

Hunted Greenland. I think many people would be surprised to learn that it's not particularly difficult to get to from Europe and not as expensive as many imagine. Also, spending a few hours there when docked will result in you not seeing too much of the place. A land vacation would offer considerable better value for money. All IMHO of course. :) 

13 minutes ago, Mynki said:

They needed to be way under S and E class pricing to be fair. Connie is 17 years old and in dire need of her planned upgrade. Caribbean sailings are less costly than elsewhere and the itineraries are very 'predictable'. The M class sky suites are smaller than other ships, there's no Retreat as of yet and Michael's and Luminae are not quite as nice as newer ships so I believe they had to get pricing right here. P.S I don't dislike Connie, I type this whilst onboard her. 

I guess the point I'm making is just because they ramp up suite pricing on the new ships doesn't mean that cheaper pricing on M class is great value though. I really hope that makes sense? 

The Tampa cruises many of us jumped on are post-revolution for Connie. Assuming they don't change the dry dock date, the suite experience should be great in December 2020.

25 minutes ago, Mynki said:

It does make sense, though Connie will be coming out of the “revolutionized” drydock when it starts the Tampa departures. So the Sky Suites with relatively good prices are worth it since the new retreat, etc will be in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

"spending a few hours there when docked will result in you not seeing too much of the place."

Yes, but that's true of nearly every cruise port -- Naples, Dubrovnik, Boston, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, but you aren't paying these ridiculous prices for those ports.  That's the point.