Jump to content

Haven't boarded yet, already unhappy


Recommended Posts

This our second celebrity cruise. Last time we arrived at our scheduled time, checked in and boarded. This time we were scheduled for 11 am check in, arrived at 11:30 and are still waiting to board an hour later. If they are boarding by class and muster station now, why schedule us for early check in? We would have spent time enjoying Miami instead of sitting in a waiting area for more than an hour.  Not a good way to start a Cruise. 

20191025_124401.jpg

Edited by StillLooking4Adventure
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did all boarding start on time? It's possible the ship had inspections or other issues (medical emergency with a guest on the previous cruise who needed to be evacuated; a ship-wide deep clean due to Noro, etc.) that delayed boarding's start in general. It can happen. (I know the USPH was doing some surprise inspections this week based on a couple of other lines getting surprise inspections.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Did all boarding start on time? It's possible the ship had inspections or other issues (medical emergency with a guest on the previous cruise who needed to be evacuated; a ship-wide deep clean due to Noro, etc.) that delayed boarding's start in general. It can happen. (I know the USPH was doing some surprise inspections this week based on a couple of other lines getting surprise inspections.)

Exactly, could be any number of reasons...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally dont like showing up before noon. Cabins open up about 1:30. If I dont have a schedule lunch time (Luminae or concierge lunch). Why not have lunch in Miami. You know you can get in a cab and go have lunch and show up later in the day. Why sit around the terminal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Be happy.  You're going on a cruise.  Use the time to make some new friends waiting beside you.

Enjoy the Panama Canal and those 25 hour days.

Edited by TeaBag
Link to post
Share on other sites

While it may be mildly annoying to have to wait, a day waiting to board a cruise is always going to be a great day. 😁 Definitely not something that would make me unhappy. 

 

Mary Ann

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

This our second celebrity cruise. Last time we arrived at our scheduled time, checked in and boarded. This time we were scheduled for 11 am check in, arrived at 11:30 and are still waiting to board an hour later. If they are boarding by class and muster station now, why schedule us for early check in? We would have spent time enjoying Miami instead of sitting in a waiting area for more than an hour.  Not a good way to start a Cruise. 

 

Sounds like you got checked in on time according to your scheduled time. The scheduled time is not when you board the ship. Did you ask the reason for the delay? Better than sitting at home and not waiting to get on a cruise ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Now see, what would have made me unhappy would have been the thought of sailing with a group of adults who thought it was a good idea to wear matching t-shirts out in public. 

 

 

 

Looks like one of the women in the matching shirts agrees with you! 😛 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

Waiting isn’t fun. Hopefully you and all the others waiting with you are onboard soon, enjoying a glass of bubbly and your cruise.

 

Would it help if we shared our boarding horror stories? Fortunately, I only have one.

 

I would enjoy reading those stories.  Would make this a fun thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting and watching people is a favorite activity of mine.  A year ago we took a last minute Disney Cruise due to odd circumstances.  We booked 5 days before the ship sailed.  They give you a check in time and stick to it.  I think ours was at 3 and the ship left at 4.  We were there early with no chance to board early.  Best cruise wait ever watching all the family matching tee shirts.  My vacation starts as soon as the car leaves the house so waiting for planes, trains and automobiles is no big deal.   I hope you don’t have to wait to long and enjoy your cruise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

 

I would enjoy reading those stories.  Would make this a fun thread.

Agree!  On one of our previous cruises, we saw a husband and wife with funny t-shirts...His said "I'M THE BOSS", his wife's t-shirt said     "I TELL THE BOSS WHAT TO DO!"  FUNNY!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Waiting and watching people is a favorite activity of mine.  A year ago we took a last minute Disney Cruise due to odd circumstances.  We booked 5 days before the ship sailed.  They give you a check in time and stick to it.  I think ours was at 3 and the ship left at 4.  We were there early with no chance to board early.  Best cruise wait ever watching all the family matching tee shirts.  My vacation starts as soon as the car leaves the house so waiting for planes, trains and automobiles is no big deal.   I hope you don’t have to wait to long and enjoy your cruise.  

 

Unless there was something VERY weird going on, Disney goes to "Open Boarding" whenever the group number being given out and the one that is being called are the same - usually around 12-12:30. At that point anyone can board regardless of number.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Waiting and watching people is a favorite activity of mine.  A year ago we took a last minute Disney Cruise due to odd circumstances.  We booked 5 days before the ship sailed.  They give you a check in time and stick to it.  I think ours was at 3 and the ship left at 4.  We were there early with no chance to board early.  Best cruise wait ever watching all the family matching tee shirts.  My vacation starts as soon as the car leaves the house so waiting for planes, trains and automobiles is no big deal.   I hope you don’t have to wait to long and enjoy your cruise.  

I know we were very late boarding but no worries because people watching is fine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

 there was no problem for the delay for any reason other than they have priority boarding based on your class. Now we are waiting in line to have them put the correct liquor package which we purchased two months ago on our sea pass so we are able to get what we paid for. Aggravated. 

I'd be more ticked, being Elite, if they allowed those without that loyalty tier board before me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Agree!  On one of our previous cruises, we saw a husband and wife with funny t-shirts...His said "I'M THE BOSS", his wife's t-shirt said     "I TELL THE BOSS WHAT TO DO!"  FUNNY!

 

Wait, t-shirts with slogans??? Careful...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...