Cancel due to Puerto Rico earthquake?

We have an upcoming cruise and one of the ports we will visit is San Juan, a visit I am really looking forward to.  Now that an earthquake hit Im hearing rumors that RCL may change the itinerary.  They say San Juan is still on the itinerary.  A month from now my final cruise payment is due.  I want to know if I should change the cruise because if it doesnt go to San Juan I would rather pick a different cruise because the other ports Im really not as interested in.  My question is can RCL change the itinerary after my final payment is made, and if they do am I allowed to cancel even though I made the final payment??   If they can I think I would play it safe and change to a different cruise.  Thanks in advance for any info received.

• Clarea changed the title to Cancel due to Puerto Rico earthquake?
2 minutes ago, Keith1951 said:

We have an upcoming cruise and one of the ports we will visit is San Juan, a visit I am really looking forward to.  Now that an earthquake hit Im hearing rumors that RCL may change the itinerary.  They say San Juan is still on the itinerary.  A month from now my final cruise payment is due.  I want to know if I should change the cruise because if it doesnt go to San Juan I would rather pick a different cruise because the other ports Im really not as interested in.  My question is can RCL change the itinerary after my final payment is made, and if they do am I allowed to cancel even though I made the final payment??   If they can I think I would play it safe and change to a different cruise.  Thanks in advance for any info received.

yes they can change the itinerary at any time. Best to always book a land trip if location is important. There are no guarantees of making a port with a cruise ship.

1 minute ago, Keith1951 said:

Royal, and any other cruise line, can change an itinerary whenever its wants, even during a cruise.  Happens all the time.  Btw what we are hearing is that north felt but ok. Daughter's friends have power.  You're too far away too worry.   So much can happen. 

• Like 1

The damage is focused on the other side of the island- literally opposite of San Juan.  If you were going to Ponce (which there are some itineraries going there in Feb), I can see them canceling the port due to damage in some of the spots people visit.  

But I really don't see that for San Juan.  

1 hour ago, Keith1951 said:

Now that an earthquake hit Im hearing rumors that RCL may change the itinerary. 

If they didn’t cancel Anthem and Oasis today why would think they would cancel something 4 months from now?

• Like 2

If you are dead set on seeing San Juan the only guarantee of getting there is to book a cruise that leaves from San Juan. You can fly in a day early or stay an extra day after the cruise.  Those itineraries usually sail the southern Caribbean islands that are not usual ports of call if sailing from Florida.

• Like 3

I’m writing this from my cruise that stopped in San Juan today. The city is fine, and we had an amazing stop (we don’t leave for another 2 hours). 

Obviously if something happens between now and your cruise they can change it, but that also applies to any port stop. Book your cruise, you’ll have an amazing time! 

• Like 4

Beautiful day in OSJ.  We are right now just about to depart.  This was just some of our day here today:

an_osj-6.jpg

an_osj-7.jpg

an_osj-8.jpg

an_osj-1.jpg

an_osj-2.jpg

an_osj-3.jpg

an_osj-4.jpg

an_osj-5.jpg

I do feel for the Puerto Ricans in the South who were impacted by the earthquakes.  Some have lost homes and businesses.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

If they didn’t cancel Anthem and Oasis today why would think they would cancel something 4 months from now?

Logic and rational thinking?  On Cruise Critic?  Why on earth would you expect something like that here?  LOL

• Like 2

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Beautiful day in OSJ.  We are right now just about to depart.  This was just some of our day here today:

I do feel for the Puerto Ricans in the South who were impacted by the earthquakes.  Some have lost homes and businesses.  

Nice pics twangster. I love Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, its people and always look forward to returning. I'll be back there Jan 21 on Adventure.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OhJinkies said:

Thanks, I was worried about power at the airport and my at hotel. Now I can relax a bit.

Some hotels in the south have power too- we reserved a hotel as a back up if the house has no power next week, and they have full service in the center of Ponce.  San Juan is fine.  

Edited by alfaeric

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

Some hotels in the south have power too- we reserved a hotel as a back up if the house has no power next week, and they have full service in the center of Ponce.  San Juan is fine.  

Thank you - there are so many rumors out there. I thought power was out over the whole island, and worried about even being able to fly in next week! 
I hope that the worst is over, and that you'll be able to let go of your own worries soon - best wishes!

12 hours ago, twangster said:

an_osj-6.jpg

an_osj-7.jpg

Great shots.  
these are drone shots correct??  

did you have any issues with flying there?   

• Like 1