"Welcome station"

med_cruising

I've heard about a "welcome station" at the dock when you re-board the ship when it is hot - this is not something that Royal Caribbean do so I was unaware of this!

Could somebody please provide a photo? (if you have any) and maybe some more information - are drinks complimentary if you have a drinks package? what is actually offered to you?

many thank in advance

Edited by med_cruising

12 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Generally cups of cold water od lemonade and sometimes moist chilled face cloths 

Yes, never seen anything other than that.  Definitely no drinks from your booze package.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2theship said:

It may not sound like much but it's a welcome sight when you're returning from a hot day in port.

It sounds great! its a small touch but considering you get nothing of the sort on RC then its actually quite a big deal, and thoughtful too!

Small cups of plain or flavored (I've seen lemon, cucumber, and orange) water and iced towels are offered at warm weather ports. I've seen hot cocoa, and broth offered in cold weather. They have a canopy set up over a table with the offerings. A crew member is sometimes standing dispensing the cold towels. It's welcome after a busy day in a port when you are returning to the ship hot and tired. It also gets envious looks from cruisers on other cruise line ships docked next to X ships.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The towels are usually iced and wonderful when you return to the ship exhausted...We have also experienced hot drinks in colder areas.

I do have some mobility issues but often manage short walks from the ship around ports. By the time I get to the ship I am often really shattered and enjoy sitting in a shaded area with a cold flavoured water before heading on board. It is also reassuring to see wheel chairs stationed and know that if I need help it is there...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a most welcome sight when returning to the ship after a long, hot day.

When we were heading back to the ship in cool, misty Iceland, we joked that we were going to feel slighted if we didn't get our icy towels and fruity iced water. We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted with warm, damp towels and hot chocolate instead. 

The welcome stations and the friendly folks at them definitely put a few points in the Celebrity column when we are comparing similar itineraries. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My favorite memory is being in line to get back onto Celebrity after a long hot day in Port. We were next to a Carnival ship so our lines were next to each other.  As we were snaking through, the Celebrity tent came into sight, complete with iced towels and cold flavored waters. Imagine the faces of the Carnival guests faces as Celebrity was bringing us the towels and drinks down the line!  All I heard was..... Nice touch... Why don't we have that....... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, med_cruising said:

It sounds great! its a small touch but considering you get nothing of the sort on RC then its actually quite a big deal, and thoughtful too!

I've seen it at every port on every RCL sailing I've been on in the last 5 years.    Usually a metal tent, near where you return towels.   Always chilled water with lemon available by the cup.     The pic below is Harmony from our cruise 2 years ago.   Not sure which port it was.   You have to enlarge the pic to see, but when you do, you;ll see the tents set up.    One of those is a Welcome Back tent, with water and other things available.

Harmony 2.jpg

Edited by zdad59

There is also a sofa and a few chairs.   I bought a bottle of bourbon at a duty free shop in St Martin and some of those small plastic sample cups.   We sat there and gave out shots to people that were kind enough to join us on their way back to the ship   We met a lot of nice people.

It was a great time and almost like Candid Camera as none of them knew what we were doing.  Great laughs and fond memories. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

There is also a sofa and a few chairs.   I bought a bottle of bourbon at a duty free shop in St Martin and some of those small plastic sample cups.   We sat there and gave out shots to people that were kind enough to join us on their way back to the ship   We met a lot of nice people.

It was a great time and almost like Candid Camera as none of them knew what we were doing.  Great laughs and fond memories. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Maybe you can post your pictures on Mary's (Beba-Beba) spreadsheet link. That way if we see you at the welcome station we'll be sure to stop and say hi!🥳

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

My favorite memory is being in line to get back onto Celebrity after a long hot day in Port. We were next to a Carnival ship so our lines were next to each other.  As we were snaking through, the Celebrity tent came into sight, complete with iced towels and cold flavored waters. Imagine the faces of the Carnival guests faces as Celebrity was bringing us the towels and drinks down the line!  All I heard was..... Nice touch... Why don't we have that....... 

haha this is a great story!😂