Port of Galveston closed due to fog, collision 1-15-2020

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh no you folks are still sitting there.  Not looking good for Progresso tomorrow!  Even worse you are still stuck on the TX tagged booze! 😩

It's looking even worse...

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 11.08.35 AM.png

This is worse than when we were stuck in Tampa!  So sorry. 

30 - 35 years ago, our Navy ships got under way & returned to port hundreds of times regardless of weather conditions.  Of course, harbor pilots knows their home ports extremely well.

Can't understand why with today's much improved technologies in radar, sonar, GPS, or whatever high-tech navigation systems they use now days, cruise ships can't dock in foggy weather.

Surprise cruise ships don't have self docking nav systems by now, lol...

Channel has also been closed for search rescue recovery and salvage and fuel spill as result from collision of 600 ft tanker and 181 ft fishing vessel. There was was loss of life and search for others is still underway. There are priorities in our lives . 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

30 - 35 years ago, our Navy ships got under way & returned to port hundreds of times regardless of weather conditions.  Of course, harbor pilots knows their home ports extremely well.

Can't understand why with today's much improved technologies in radar, sonar, GPS, or whatever high-tech navigation systems they use now days, cruise ships can't dock in foggy weather.

I think it was more about the SAR then the fog.

4 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Probably for the same reason that the fishing boat collided with the tanker this morning.  No matter how well equipped the cruise ship is, there is other traffic out there, much of it without a pilot onboard, much of it with substandard equipment, and much of it with personnel who disregard the rules of the road on a daily basis.  And the US Navy does not feel any fiscal pain if they have an incident, only the taxpayers feel that pain.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh no you folks are still sitting there.  Not looking good for Progresso tomorrow!  Even worse you are still stuck on the TX tagged booze! 😩

It's looking even worse...

This would be terrible.  Hopefully, those with the drink package get some sort of refund.  I don't mind the crappy booze for a few hours the first day, but with the prices that we have to pay I would be asking for a refund for any longer than that.  

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Probably for the same reason that the fishing boat collided with the tanker this morning.  No matter how well equipped the cruise ship is, there is other traffic out there, much of it without a pilot onboard, much of it with substandard equipment, and much of it with personnel who disregard the rules of the road on a daily basis.  And the US Navy does not feel any fiscal pain if they have an incident, only the taxpayers feel that pain.

The tanker and the 81" fishing vessel collided at 3:30 PM Tuesday afternoon.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:27 PM, twangster said:

Last year around this time I was delayed returning to Tampa for fog.  I barely made my 6:30pm flight.  When I booked it I thought I'd be sitting in the airport all day but turned out to be a blessing.  A lot of people had to pay fees to change flights, some had to book hotels and fly the next day.

Good lesson in travel insurance and later flights.  

When we finally made port everyone ignored the timed departures waiting for bags to be in the terminal.  Many had to be go sit outside on the curb and wait for bags to come off.  They ended up going through customs twice.  A certain "gotta get off" mentality develops and people ignore the announcements.

Glad to see you taking the delay in stride.  Nothing anyone can do about it.  

Agree, never been on a Flight before 2pm. Has paid off at least dozen times in last 8yrs. When hundreds are rescheduling, and line out the door at FLL I'm going straight threw Security having lunch chilling on my Computer. Have experienced Weather Delays and not enough Agents at Port with last passengers getting off and threw at 1030 twice in last yr

3 hours ago, KsucAts said:

This would be terrible.  Hopefully, those with the drink package get some sort of refund.  I don't mind the crappy booze for a few hours the first day, but with the prices that we have to pay I would be asking for a refund for any longer than that.  

Pathetic joke or massive douche?

3 hours ago, KsucAts said:

That is a good point.  The expectation of what was to be included certainly was not included.  Obviously not the fault of the cruise line, but then the cruise line ended up not having to pour as much of the "good stuff".

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

Looks like the Carnival Dream is in,  wondering how long turn around will be for them. Just idle curiosity :classic_wink:

We must be lucky - in all our trips we only had one fog delay that I can remember, and that was with air delays on Delta in getting to the ship, not onboard.