Corona virus RCI policy

50 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

We are booked on the Quantum departing Singapore on March 22nd for a Malaysia and Thailand short cruise. Our flights to Singapore are connecting through Hong Kong, and we were contemplating canceling the cruise. Looks like Royal made the decision for us. We just received an email that states if you are just even transiting through Hong Kong within 15 days to arrive at the Embarkation port you will be denied boarding.

We now just need American Airlines to allow refunds without penalties. Currently they are doing that for Hong Kong transiting customers ONLY up to February 29th; we are connecting in HK on March 18th. I'm sure the airline's policy will change. This is all a mess!

Edit:

I just re-read the email and it says this policy applies to ALL of Royal's ships!

Sorry, we did a sailing on the Ovation out of Singapore a few years ago and the news that you got would have been devastating to me.  Hope it all works out.  I am sure that AA will do something for you, as they don’t want to infect their flight crews any more than RCI their crews.  These viral episodes cost the planet a small fortune when they happen.  

JC

4 hours ago, Stich17 said:

Just don't watch 12 monkeys.

4 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Add 'I am Legend' to the lineup 🤣

"Contagion" ... Gwyntyh Paltrow, Matt Damon, Lawrence Fishburn, Jude Law, Great cast & great movie. 

This is exactly a movie about a Coronavirus situation. made 10 years ago. Available on Netflix.

I absent mindedly bit a hangnail at Universal and got norovirus. I’m usually so careful and keep sanitizer on my belt loop. We have annual passes and I’ve never gotten sick before, despite having neutropenia (ave. WBC 1.7, ANC 0.2 for the nurses on here). I actually got hospitalized and they used the plain surgical masks when interacting with me.

Masks aren’t going to protect people 100% but if there’s a outbreak on the ship I’d rather have one than not. I’d just avoid biting hangnails and wash my hands. 😂 

• Like 1

I am not fearful, but I like to be proactive. We are flying from S.C.  to San Juan in March to sail on Freedom. I realize that neither place has reported the virus, but the “regular” Flu is so bad here that some school systems have closed. I always travel with sanitizing wipes for the arm rests and tray on the plane. We wash our hands constantly while traveling, soap & water as well as hand sanitizer. I think I will buy that virus killing purell mentioned on these boards. 

My daughters and I are scheduled for Spectrum March 20 from Shanghai to Shanghai and I just called my travel agent. Royal is only dealing with the cruises one week in advance so if we cancel we would be under the regular cancellation fees. I then called my travel insurance ( didn’t get cancel for any reason because everything was refundable until I made final payment January 7th) which I purchased in December. Travel insurance doesn’t cover epidemics but I can file a claim if Royal doesn’t cancel the cruise. 

For Allure sailing feb 9 out of Miami:

After the latest news, we’ve decided to implement a new travel restriction where, regardless of nationality, any guest or crew member traveling from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong less than 15 days prior to a sailing will be unable to board any of our ships. Additionally, we’ve tightened our secondary health screening requirements and the following guests will need to undergo extra screenings to ensure safety at the cruise terminal:

• Guests or crew members that have been in contact with individuals that have traveled from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.
  • Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last.
  • Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ONBOARD TO HELP PREVENT THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS?

• After consultation with medical experts and public health authorities, we’ve decided that regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships. We regret to have to do this, but due to the recent increase of coronavirus cases around the world, this precaution will help avoid the spread of this virus. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.
  • Additionally, we’ve tightened our secondary health screening requirements and the following guests will need to undergo extra screenings to ensure safety at the cruise terminal:
    • Guests or crewmembers that have been in contact with individuals that have traveled from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.
    • Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last.
    • Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms.
  • We have taken numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards onboard all our ships, especially those in Asia. This includes special sanitizing of high traffic areas, adding additional medical staff onboard, and providing consultations with medical experts guests and crew, as your safety and wellbeing is our top priority!
  • The extra precautions being taken onboard all our ships are…
    1. Before and after all sailings, the embarkation terminal and ship access points will be thoroughly sanitized.
    2. We’re sanitizing high traffic areas onboard more than what we usually do. Every evening, the public areas and public toilets will have additional cleaning and sanitization using electrostatic sprayers (a method of cleaning and disinfecting that fully covers a surface.)
    3. During each sailing, the Captain will make two announcements each day to remind guests to wash their hands often, use recommended coughing etiquette, and report any high fever or influenza-like illness symptoms immediately.
    4. We’ve also added additional medical staff onboard and we’re providing complimentary medical consultations before and during each sailing.

WHAT ARE TIPS FOR GUESTS TRAVELING ON OUR SHIPS?

• To ensure all guests have an enjoyable cruise, we have some important tips to help keep you healthy and prevent colds, flus, and stomach viruses, both onboard and on land.
    • After using the bathroom and before any meal or snack (it’s a cruise, we know there’s lots of that), make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
    • If you happen to sneeze, be sure to cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve). Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
    • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly and in between your fingers, until your hands are dry.
  • While onboard, if you experience flu like symptoms such as chills, cough, runny nose, fever, congestion or a sore throat – it’s imperative that you immediately visit our medical facility for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always ready to assist.
  • We’re excited to have you onboard!  
Edited by SophosEMT
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

A little levity  thank you. Back to getting real, The CDC has suggested that a switch to Modelo Negra or Pacifico would stop the Coronavirus in its tracks. 

The funniest one I say was a meme about Coronavirus going well with Lyme disease. 😄

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The funniest one I say was a meme about Coronavirus going well with Lyme disease. 😄

The Corona virus has me scared to cruise.
So, if you are elderly with a compromised immune system, would you take a chance of going on a cruise to Japan?  And if spread on board a ship with infected passengers what  are your chances of getting infected and sick or dying from Corona virus?’  How would you know if your fellow passenger next to you in the elevator, in the theater, or in the buffet line ,who coughs without covering,  just has a cold or has the Corona virus?

Edited by Justalone

9 minutes ago, Justalone said:

So, if you are elderly with a compromised immune system, would you take a chance of going on a cruise to Japan?  

Personally no, not in the next couple of months. Are you not covered by insurance in this situation? Lots of people cancelling on our Quantum cruise are saying they are covered if medical advice is not to travel.

40 minutes ago, Justalone said:

How would you know if your fellow passenger next to you in the elevator, in the theater, or in the buffet line ,who coughs without covering,  just has a cold or has the Corona virus?

That's the point. You don't know and no way of telling.

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

So, if you are elderly with a compromised immune system, would you take a chance of going on a cruise to Japan?  

I am elderly with a compromised immune system and no way would I take the chance to get anywhere near it .

3 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I am elderly with a compromised immune system and no way would I take the chance to get anywhere near it .

I’m not elderly but have a compromised immune system. I wouldn’t take a cruise in the affected areas until the virus is under control. But it wouldn’t stop me from cruising anywhere else. It depends on your level of immunocompromisation though. Mine isn’t chemo induced and I know that I will be ok in circumstances that are not extenuating, like coronavirus. I won’t let a virus that is primarily in one area cripple me from traveling in other areas. 

• Like 1

We have travelled from the UK to Sydney to go on a long planned cruise to Fiji on Voyager of the Seas on Wednesday. 
We found out from a friend and our TA has confirmed that we will not be able to board the ship because we travelled via Hong Kong. 
RCI do not appear to have informed TAs or passengers. We are feeling very disappointed and are now left with finding alternative accommodation for 2 weeks in Sydney. We do not know how or when compensation will be paid.

You barely squeezed in, Australia just banned all flights from China (and Hong Kong) and anyone from entering the country.  I hope they give a refund, but in the meantime I would look into what you want to do in Australia and get your flight home sorted.