Corona virus RCI policy

One of the reasons for lack of info, is because companies that operate in China fall under joint ventures with the government, and are not operated in the same manner.  Based on news reports, the government is restricting travel.  When this happens, government business that book the travel, issue the refunds. The Spectrum is primary a Chinese cruise with a small number of others.  Sometimes as little as 100.  Those people are not taken care of by the joint venture and government.  So if you are concerned with a particular sailing you should contact RCCL directly for updates.  RCCL has an office in Shanghai that I believe makes the decisions, and info and processes have always been slow to trickle down to the USA call centers.  Kind of like scrambling to take care of thousands of passengers, and you forget about the 100 stray passengers coming elsewhere.  I doubt it will relocate unless it is for an extended amount of time because they have contracts and commitments already unless the government gives them a definite date.   It's not that easy to dump all the passengers for the next 30 days and try to refill the ship, and find the provisions and dock spaces. 

47 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Our sailing is based out of Shanghai in March.  I won't be surprised if RCI changes that and decidefs to move the ship somewhere else---I just hope if they make changes they do it sooner rather than later and offer refunds.

Now that it is believed that the virus is transmissible during the incubation period, moving a ship somewhere else might be much more dangerous than leaving it where it is.  If crew members are unknowingly incubating the virus and they move the ship, they can quickly start an outbreak wherever they move the ship to.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:26 AM, The_Big_M said:

It doesn't really work that way. It's like pregnancy, you either have it or not. The official reports should count all, but that government has form in under-reporting things (and in fact arrested people who initially reported this outbreak back in December).

That said, while I don't trust the accuracy of the official figures, I also don't see this as distinctly worse than the flu, which also kills many each year. 

So, do you report to the health department every time you get a sniffle?

No, people on seek treatment or report when it is serious.

Take Legionella, about 9 out of 10 people that get sick from legionella, get mild, flu like symptoms.  It is so mild, it has its own name, Pontiac Fever.   So, 90% of the people are unlikely to report.

The common cold is a Corona virus.  Have you reported, officially, ever cold you have had?  Each one was a Corona virus infection.

The demographics I have seen are that over 70% of the fatalities are over 60 years old.  Corona virus infections, if they progress beyond the nasal area, move to the lower lung, where they can progress to viral pneumonia.  Which is very serious in elderly patients.

Has RCCL reported higher number deaths on their cruise ships that had ports of call stops in China/Asia?   I have read it can be as many as 3-4 passengers die per long cruise?

I reckon if the virus found/finds its way on board a ship, many more will die because of close contact with those who have contracted the virus.

Edited by Justalone

FYI I work for a company that purchases from China, The Chinese government will not tell anyone what is really going on. I received a letter from one of my suppliers that has 2 factories in Wuhan today. The factories are not opening after the Chinese holiday and will not open under government issue. There is no date as to when the workers will be allowed to travel back to the factory. He told me anything that will be shipping after the working ban is over will be sterilized...yeah right lol I don't believe that at all and I think he said that just to keep his customers. I truly think the numbers are not correct that the Chinese government is stating as to how many are sick and how many have died.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smokeykat said:

FYI I work for a company that purchases from China, The Chinese government will not tell anyone what is really going on. I received a letter from one of my suppliers that has 2 factories in Wuhan today. The factories are not opening after the Chinese holiday and will not open under government issue. There is no date as to when the workers will be allowed to travel back to the factory. He told me anything that will be shipping after the working ban is over will be sterilized...yeah right lol I don't believe that at all and I think he said that just to keep his customers. I truly think the numbers are not correct that the Chinese government is stating as to how many are sick and how many have died.

They were also heavily criticized for how they handled SARS. I think they’re trying to avoid that this time.

It’s been known for a couple of days that workers won’t be returning immediately after the holiday.

11 hours ago, SRF said:

So, do you report to the health department every time you get a sniffle?

No, people on seek treatment or report when it is serious.

Take Legionella, about 9 out of 10 people that get sick from legionella, get mild, flu like symptoms.  It is so mild, it has its own name, Pontiac Fever.   So, 90% of the people are unlikely to report.

The common cold is a Corona virus.  Have you reported, officially, ever cold you have had?  Each one was a Corona virus infection.

The demographics I have seen are that over 70% of the fatalities are over 60 years old.  Corona virus infections, if they progress beyond the nasal area, move to the lower lung, where they can progress to viral pneumonia.  Which is very serious in elderly patients.

I understood you meant the reporting from the government, not that civilians themselves were "reporting" because I think of it, as you describe above as them visiting a hospital/doctor for treatment rather than just "reporting."

So yes, what you describe above is reasonable but the issue is that some official reporting has not been accurate.

13 hours ago, Justalone said:

Has RCCL reported higher number deaths on their cruise ships that had ports of call stops in China/Asia?   I have read it can be as many as 3-4 passengers die per long cruise?

I reckon if the virus found/finds its way on board a ship, many more will die because of close contact with those who have contracted the virus.

That was a very random, and strange statement?  You really think 3-4 passengers have died per sailing when this just started?  This isn't the black plague on sailing ships of the 1800's.  In many cases, the population on the ship is less dense than some cities in China.  It's also a virus, not a "disease".  Yes it will be transmitted person to person, just like the flu. 

UPDATE on Spectrum of the Seas Sailings:

Dear Royal Caribbean Cruises guests,

Royal Caribbean Cruises is highly concerned about the recent outbreak of a new coronavirus. According to the requirements of relevant government departments, in order to further meet the current needs of epidemic prevention and control, and to ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew, we have launched the following free cancellation and re-registration policy for voyages departing from China's home port before February 8, 2020 (inclusive) ,details as follows:

Royal Caribbean Cruises will suspend the operation of Ocean Spectrum on February 4, 2020, and provide a free cancellation policy.

The Ocean Spectrum voyage departing from Shanghai on February 8, 2020 will provide guests with a free cancellation policy.

Guests can choose any plan to plan future cruise itineraries according to the situation:

1. Free cancellation and full refund

2. Reschedule to other Royal Caribbean voyages departing from China's home port from March 1, 2020 to April 30, 2020. Ferry tickets and port taxes and fees will be refunded and replenished, and extra credits will be given on board. as follows

a. Change of short voyage (≤5 nights), each cabin will receive 200 USD on board

b. Change of long voyage (≥6 nights), each cabin will receive USD 300 on board

3. The Royal Caribbean voyage departing from China's home port (including but not limited to Shanghai, Tianjin, Hong Kong) from May 1, 2020 to May 31, 2021 will be rescheduled. Will receive an extra $ 100 on board

4. Refund of full port taxes and fees; get future voyage credits excluding the equivalent of tax tickets. The voucher is valid for one year from the date of issue, and you can get an extra $ 100 onboard consumption credit for each cabin in the room where the voucher is used

* For specific usage rules of future voyage credits and on-board consumption credits, please contact the staff for details.

* This refund policy also applies to pre-order voyages suspended from China's home port before February 8.

https://www.rcclchina.com.cn/Rccl.CustomPage/RcclNews/Detail?newsId=1121470&offset=0

21 hours ago, toothy26 said:

So my husband gets kind of goofy about this stuff. We are leaving on Canada New England cruise in May from Bayonne and he is considering canceling! Anyone think we need to worry?

I don't think he is being goofy. He's listening to the news and trying to make a responsible decision. 

No one knows if this will turn out to be overhyped or not. If people do cruise, and end up getting sick, I can assure you that there will be plenty of people here saying, 'you knew there was a serious outbreak, why didn't you cancel when you could?'

Good luck in making your decision. There is no right answer.

21 hours ago, toothy26 said:

So my husband gets kind of goofy about this stuff. We are leaving on Canada New England cruise in May from Bayonne and he is considering canceling! Anyone think we need to worry?

Y'all have to do what's best for you, but personally I would never cancel a cruise in Canada, four months from now, because of a disease mostly in China right now.

7 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Y'all have to do what's best for you, but personally I would never cancel a cruise in Canada, four months from now, because of a disease mostly in China right now.

This advice will end up being either extremely practical or extremely crazy. 

ymmv

12 minutes ago, marci22 said:

This advice will end up being either extremely practical or extremely crazy. 

ymmv

I just don't see a reason to make a decision four months in advance, for a disease that still has almost no existence in North America. In four months, we may all be dead...or we may have forgotten about the disease...or it may be in between. But to make a decision four months ahead, because of a disease mostly located halfway across the world, doesn't really make sense to me. 

1 hour ago, toothy26 said:

The reason why I am mentioning it now is because my final payment is due on February 3rd!

So, if hubby is crazy, you know, so your judgement is all that matters.  Do I believe it will affect a cruise to Canada 4 months from now?  No.  However if it affects a cruise to Canada, then that means we have a global pandemic and people will be getting sick all over the world in every country and state.  At that point does it really matter if you get your money back or not?  

I think the odds of this killing millions is exaggerated, but who really knows.

jc

On 1/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, Stich17 said:

Additionally 2 of our group have a flight from hong kong booked independently would they just need to claim on their travel insurance?

Think most airlines that fly to that region will be waiving change and cancellation fees due to the virus. 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, Joebucks said:

More people die from the flu than they have from Corona virus. How many of these "new virus" epidemics were anything to be concerned about?

Spanish flu - Wikipedia

"The 1918 influenza pandemic was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus. It infected 500 million people around the world, including people on remote Pacific islands and in the Arctic. Probably 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million died, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify with certainty the pandemic's geographic origin". 

Next question?

Edited by rolloman