Quarantine: Cruise Ship vs. Air Force Base?

DirtyDawg

Cruise ship for me. Better quarters and better food.

By the way, quarantined passengers without balconies are being allowed on deck for certain period of time each day, which is probably more than I am currently outside in the "fresh air" during my normal workweek...

• Like 1

Anyone who has served knows that Air Force bases are the country clubs of the military.  As much as I love cruising, I'd take quarantine on an AF base any day over being stuck on a boat. 

Oh, and those fly boys eat pretty darn well. 

• Thanks 1

If you're sitting outside playing cards on a picnic table with others in "quarantine", you are risking infection with a disease that is catch-able before symptoms appear. 

I vote for cruise ship even in an inside cabin. Although I only book oceanviews, so that is one thing. But my phone and my Kindle could keep me busy for 14 days easy. Maybe I would get some of those books read!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:24 AM, DirtyDawg said:

I saw on the news last night that there are two cruise ships quarantined due to the coronavirus. Both Canada and the U.S. have flown citizens back to their countries from China and will quarantine then for 14 days at air force bases on home soil. Other countries have probably done the same. Where would you want to be quarantined, on a cruise ship in a harbour halfway around the world or an air force base at home? Obviously asking this question on a cruise ship forum might not result is a valid statistical result regarding the entire travelling population, but what the heck.

For me it would be a cruise ship 1000% of the time…. but ….

…. I’d have to be quarantined in a balcony or above cabin. I like cruising, but being stuck in an inside or OV for two or three days let alone 14 days would drive me nuts. I’d rather be housed in a barracks at a frozen air force base in the middle of February in Eastern Ontario than be stuck in one of those. 

Hi

So you would rather be a few thousand miles from home? Even if you could have your balcony cabin, it might sound like a fine adventure for a few minutes. Remember, you are being quarantined. You don't have free access to anything that makes a cruise ship desirable.

Now let's think about it again. So, let's say seven days into your quarantine you start having a fever. You don't have any options then. Now you are stuck thousands of miles from home and you are very sick. Where would you rather be? Without even bringing up the thought that maybe your travel insurance might not be as good as you thought. 

So, a few hundred miles from home vs. a few thousand??? For me it's not even close. I know I don't have to remind you that even in the frozen wastelands of Canada, we do have central heating. 😷

Definitely the base, for all the previously listed reasons.

If I needed medical assistance, I would rather be as close as possible to the good old Canadian healthcare system. Also, leaving the closest Cdn base and heading straight home would require me to travel through far less places and come across far fewer people than getting off a ship in foreign waters and travelling home. I’m also wondering if those who get off the Diamond after the quarantine is lifted will be able to go straight home when they arrive in their own country or if they will have more checks and a possible further quarantine on arrival. Seems like the base quarantine is the quickest route from point A to point B.

Just thankful I don’t have to choose between either option at this moment! Good wishes to all those who are actually affected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

So you would rather be a few thousand miles from home? Even if you could have your balcony cabin, it might sound like a fine adventure for a few minutes. Remember, you are being quarantined. You don't have free access to anything that makes a cruise ship desirable.

Now let's think about it again. So, let's say seven days into your quarantine you start having a fever. You don't have any options then. Now you are stuck thousands of miles from home and you are very sick. Where would you rather be? Without even bringing up the thought that maybe your travel insurance might not be as good as you thought. 

So, a few hundred miles from home vs. a few thousand??? For me it's not even close. I know I don't have to remind you that even in the frozen wastelands of Canada, we do have central heating. 😷

Quite frankly I'd rather be quarantined at a Ritz-Carlton somewhere warm in February but a cruise ship in the Hong Kong harbour or a Japanese  harbour would do -  in a balcony or above of course. Now, if it was a cruise ship in the Hamilton, Ontario harbour in February I might choose CFB Trenton instead. I'm not sure about Cold Lake though. That place is bloody cold in February, and November and December, and January and .... 😬

Enjoy your  quarantine however you like. I'll enjoy my own. 

But then again I might just bump you off the evacuation flight after your argument sinks in. 😋 

If I had the choice, I'd go for the US Air Force base.  Closer to home and access to better medical facilities in the event I developed the disease.  One of the news stories I saw said the US evacuees on the Air Force bases will be allowed outdoor recreation time.  I think I'd be pretty sick of the confines of my balcony stateroom after a day of being confined, let alone 14.    

Air Force base .We have a family friend who is a retired Army Major and we have been her guests many times at Army bases.There would be much more freedom on a base and it would be a lot safer. Can you imagine people quarantined on a ship and wanting to get off ? Riots could ensue.

50 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Air Force base .We have a family friend who is a retired Army Major and we have been her guests many times at Army bases.There would be much more freedom on a base and it would be a lot safer. Can you imagine people quarantined on a ship and wanting to get off ? Riots could ensue.

When you are quarantined, you will not be allowed to roam the base.  The base is going to continue as usual, so you’d likely be set up in the barracks, or other temporary housing.   Quarantine means that you would remain in a facility of some sort.....very likely not the living quarters of military officers, which are much nicer than that from the rank and file.  . 

I have lived on military bases, and in my younger, not so discreet days, I dated a few guys who lived in military barracks.....I’ll take a cruise ship in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

When you are quarantined, you will not be allowed to roam the base.  The base is going to continue as usual, so you’d likely be set up in the barracks, or other temporary housing.   Quarantine means that you would remain in a facility of some sort.....very likely not the living quarters of military officers, which are much nicer than that from the rank and file.  . 

I have lived on military bases, and in my younger, not so discreet days, I dated a few guys who lived in military barracks.....I’ll take a cruise ship in a heartbeat.

My point was that people quarantined are likely to rebel after time and it can get out of hand on a ship whereas on a military base it would be much easier to confine them.

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My point was that people quarantined are likely to rebel after time and it can get out of hand on a ship whereas on a military base it would be much easier to confine them.

Hi

What kind of people do you think these people are? They are being quarantined for 2 weeks. They are all well aware of the situation and the reason. Whether on a ship or a military base, what are they going to do? They can't go anywhere, except maybe to jail (if they are stupid enough). 

By the way, those being sent to the Canadian Armed Forces base in Trenton Ontario, will be housed in the Yukon Lodge. It is a hotel located on the base, which is used by the military. 

As I said before, if there was any possibility that I might get sick, I would much rather be a few hours from home than half a world away. 

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine (who is a county epidemiologist) had to quarantine a woman in her house during the measles epidemic.  The woman refused to be quarantined, and got belligerent that no one was going to force her to stay inside her home.  My friend put an armed guard at her door, and the woman realized she was deadly serious.

Quarantines are not to protect the person being quarantined, but the greater public.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This report makes the air force based sound far preferable to being crammed into an inside cabin on a cruise ship.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/quarantined-ottawa-man-keeping-spirits-up-in-trenton

Another advantage would be the likelihood of being able to getting food and perhaps booze deliveries from town. 

12 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

What kind of people do you think these people are? They are being quarantined for 2 weeks. They are all well aware of the situation and the reason. Whether on a ship or a military base, what are they going to do? They can't go anywhere, except maybe to jail (if they are stupid enough). 

By the way, those being sent to the Canadian Armed Forces base in Trenton Ontario, will be housed in the Yukon Lodge. It is a hotel located on the base, which is used by the military. 

As I said before, if there was any possibility that I might get sick, I would much rather be a few hours from home than half a world away. 

I personally would rather be in Ontario than almost any place on earth.I may have been to every major city in Ontario.If I was younger and healthy I would want to move there.

12 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

A friend of mine (who is a county epidemiologist) had to quarantine a woman in her house during the measles epidemic.  The woman refused to be quarantined, and got belligerent that no one was going to force her to stay inside her home.  My friend put an armed guard at her door, and the woman realized she was deadly serious.

Quarantines are not to protect the person being quarantined, but the greater public.  

Absolutely

On 2/7/2020 at 6:50 AM, sparks1093 said:

When I was in the Navy we considered Air Force bases to be the equivalent of a cruise ship. I would probably choose that for the same reason as stated- it's closer to home.

Don't be jealous...LOL (Air Force myself 21 years)

This was on another board similar to this question and like you mentioned, would have to be balcony or higher...

The question asked on NCL board was what would you regret if stuck on cruise ship.  My answer was the option to purchase the Haven category. (largest room with large balcony)

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:24 AM, DirtyDawg said:

I saw on the news last night that there are two cruise ships quarantined due to the coronavirus. Both Canada and the U.S. have flown citizens back to their countries from China and will quarantine then for 14 days at air force bases on home soil. Other countries have probably done the same. Where would you want to be quarantined, on a cruise ship in a harbour halfway around the world or an air force base at home? Obviously asking this question on a cruise ship forum might not result is a valid statistical result regarding the entire travelling population, but what the heck.

For me it would be a cruise ship 1000% of the time…. but ….

…. I’d have to be quarantined in a balcony or above cabin. I like cruising, but being stuck in an inside or OV for two or three days let alone 14 days would drive me nuts. I’d rather be housed in a barracks at a frozen air force base in the middle of February in Eastern Ontario than be stuck in one of those. 

Cruise ship in a foreign country with foreign country controlling what happens, but I'm in my smaller than closet room, shower smaller than what most people need to turn around, got fast wifi and meals delivered to my room, and I got room with view,  got upgraded wifi and limited onboard channels,

Oh and the people who take care of me live in cramp confined quarters, get payed almost nothing, no onboard medical, likely all of them sleep, eat and shower elbow to elbow, then suit up to deliver me my food in hot and uncomfortable gear that they likely look to circumvent when nobody is looking,  give me the ship baby LOL

Edited by chipmaster

On 2/7/2020 at 7:12 AM, K32682 said:

I'd take the airforce base.  After the quarantine was lifted I'd rather be closer to home than have to face lengthy flights.   Also, I suspect it would be easier to acquire adult beverages on an air force base and you could go outside more often. 

CFB Trenton is - 13 degrees Celsius tonight. Not sure if too many of the quarantined folks are taking a stroll outside this evening. The high tomorrow is forecast to be -10. 

Image result for really cold person

But at least they can see if they might be infecting someone else. 🙂

image.jpeg.a3fa180b2ef2160df329b961a46983f4.jpeg

Edited by DirtyDawg