Don’t go on a cruise!

Fun4Us2013

Common sense is not that common.  Reading some of the hysterical posts should illustrate that.  I have read everything including someone claiming that Seattle is a ‘ghost town’.

simply do what is right for you.  Understand the issues, weigh the risks, and make an informed decision.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, iancal said:

Common sense is not that common.  Reading some of the hysterical posts should illustrate that.  I have read everything including someone claiming that Seattle is a ‘ghost town’.

I might have been the one to say that...I don't know...I can't remember what all I said across all these threads.  Compared to the normal hustle and bustle, Seattle absolutely is a ghost town.  And now, the state just banned all public events of 250+ people, and King County banned public gatherings altogether.  It's a strange place right now.  

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

But, but, but...."anything I WANT to do just MUST be more vital than anything anyone else NEEDS to do!!"

"I have C&A status!"

"I am importance personified!"

"I WANT, THERFORE I AM!"

Sorry...just been storing up all these attitudes seen in various threads for years...

It’s not about that. Yet another day has passed with NO reports of coronavirus on any more ships, but spreading like wildfire on land. The NBA is even suspending the season, and an entire town in NY state is quarantined. Frankly, I’m getting less worried by the day about boarding the ship, and more worried about public transportation, grocery stores, etc. cruising is being unreasonably targeted compared to the risk which, at this point, is much higher on land.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We do not book a cruise unless we can afford to lose the cruise fare.  Obviously we would like the cruise for the money spent, but if we can't go for whatever reason there is at least the savings of gratuities, excursions, drinks, etc.

I read this and thought isn't this really true of for just about all of us.  I won't say all of us because I'm sure someone will have an exception.  But, I mean the money is spent whether we go on the cruise or not.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What you seem to fail to recognize is that cruising is the least essential form of travel - and you continually emphasize that it should not be curtailed until everything else is.  Sure, non-essential travel of any sort should be curtailed - but equating cruising with all other gatherings of people does not make sense - prolonged proximity in close quarters is almost the ideal recipe for contagion.

Cruising IS worse than travel to work, it is worse than taking public transport to obtain food or medical care.  Your continually equating it with all other sorts of public gatherings - many of which have already been curtailed - is difficult to understand — and, in my mind, not worthy of further discussion.

That is only your opinion.

When I cruise, I spend much time not being with large groups, spend time with my wife in our cabin and balcony, and avoid crowds. I cannot do that at work or on public transport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

It’s not about that. Yet another day has passed with NO reports of coronavirus on any more ships, but spreading like wildfire on land. The NBA is even suspending the season, and an entire town in NY state is quarantined. Frankly, I’m getting less worried by the day about boarding the ship, and more worried about public transportation, grocery stores, etc. cruising is being unreasonably targeted compared to the risk which, at this point, is much higher on land.

Exactly

11 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I might have been the one to say that...I don't know...I can't remember what all I said across all these threads.  Compared to the normal hustle and bustle, Seattle absolutely is a ghost town.  And now, the state just banned all public events of 250+ people, and King County banned public gatherings altogether.  It's a strange place right now.  

Hi Paul, stay safe.

10 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

Our travel agent would 100% agree with that. He sounded tired an depressed with all the cancellations coming in. Does he feel cruises are safe? He said his parents who are in their 80s are cruising now.

I had called him because I had heard of the ban of people cruising who are over 70, a group I am in. (We put off cancelling as we still have a month before our final payment date for our Norwegian fjord cruise. But we probably will as we informed him well before this virus stuff started as our pet cat is very ill and needs several vet visits a week for an IV plus pills. And that is not something we can really get someone else to do for us as it is much more than making  sure she is fed and the litter box changed.)

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not against stopping cruises but if they do that then it should be one of many actions, like shutting schools and sports events and any gatherings of more than 1 person.

How about Broadway plays? We have tickets later this month to see Ain't Too Proud to Beg, the play about the Temptations. Yesterday DW wondered if we should still go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How about Broadway plays? We have tickets later this month to see Ain't Too Proud to Beg, the play about the Temptations. Yesterday DW wondered if we should still go.

I would wait until the very last minute to make a final decision. You know The St Patrick's Day Parade has been

cancelled and that would have been on Tuesday.  See what the Governor/Mayor say about travels into the city.

You are about 2 hours north of it, right?

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

I would wait until the very last minute to make a final decision. You know The St Patrick's Day Parade has been

cancelled and that would have been on Tuesday.  See what the Governor/Mayor say about travels into the city.

You are about 2 hours north of it, right?

We' re northwest of the city, figure about 80-90 miles to the GW Bridge. We're actually going on a bus with a local travel group which will have people from our county and the next one closer to NYC.

I think we will go unless the authorities decided that plays will be shut down. It is basically a birthday present from each of us to the other. Her birthday is a day after the play and mine a few weeks later. So we will see what the next 2 weeks bring..

36 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We' re northwest of the city, figure about 80-90 miles to the GW Bridge. We're actually going on a bus with a local travel group which will have people from our county and the next one closer to NYC.

I think we will go unless the authorities decided that plays will be shut down. It is basically a birthday present from each of us to the other. Her birthday is a day after the play and mine a few weeks later. So we will see what the next 2 weeks bring..

Happy Birthday to you both:classic_smile:...mine is next week and at one point, I was planning to fly up for about 4 days and do

4 or 5 shows.....not doing it now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I read this and thought isn't this really true of for just about all of us.  I won't say all of us because I'm sure someone will have an exception.  But, I mean the money is spent whether we go on the cruise or not.   

I agree, but I don't think many view it that way.

My husband was wondering last night if bus tours are having similar restrictions as cruises.  They are generally an older population, leisure travel, and closely confined to each other.  I don't remember reading or hearing anything about them being canceled.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, navybankerteacher said:

You should make yourself aware of reality. The US government spends well over a trillion $ per year on domestic health (over 18% of all expenditures) and less than 50 billion on foreign aid (about 1.2%).  And much of that foreign aid is for our benefit - keeping allies able to assist us, helping other countries fight contagion (ever hear of Ebola ?, which makes corona seem like the sniffles, and which could spread here if we did not stop it in Africa).  

Do you really think that if there there were no efforts to isolate carriers of corona there would be no difference in its spread?  Very few efforts in any field are 100% effective.

Small % of the total yes.  But it is still 50 million bucks!   Anyway, as much as I hate to, I have to agree that  a lot of that expenditure is to our benefit beyond just altruism.  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Small % of the total yes.  But it is still 50 million bucks!   Anyway, as much as I hate to, I have to agree that  a lot of that expenditure is to our benefit beyond just altruism.  

When you look at it realistically, ALL of that expenditure is for our benefit.

a) Health spending in Africa makes it easier to keep us healthy at home.

b) Helping allies to arm themselves makes them more effective allies.

c) It is always good to have friends - and sometimes you have to give gifts to keep them friends.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

When you look at it realistically, ALL of that expenditure is for our benefit.

a) Health spending in Africa makes it easier to keep us healthy at home.

b) Helping allies to arm themselves makes them more effective allies.

c) It is always good to have friends - and sometimes you have to give gifts to keep them friends.

Well, I agree except for your emphasis on "ALL".  Gov't waste & too many consultants are lining their pockets with taxpayers dollars.  

33 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

My husband was wondering last night if bus tours are having similar restrictions as cruises.  They are generally an older population, leisure travel, and closely confined to each other.  I don't remember reading or hearing anything about them being canceled.

My husband's elderly aunt (88) had her senior groups' Myrtle Beach tour canceled. I think all tours for her age group should be cancel though as they are the ones vulnerable from dying form this.

32 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Well it seems that Princess is behaving more responsibly than many of their potential customers - cancelling all sailings world-wide March 17 to May 10.

I suspect other lines will bite the bullet.

As a footnote, my wife and I have cancelled a planned three week stay in Florida.  

These steps may not stop the spread, but are virtually certain to slow it down sufficiently to prevent health care facilities to be overwhelmed to the point of inefficacy.

How many intensive care unit beds are there  - staffed by how many competent professionals.

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, I agree except for your emphasis on "ALL".  Gov't waste & too many consultants are lining their pockets with taxpayers dollars.  

You are right - all governments seem to waste money — so a lot of our foreign aid can be seen as wasted - but the fact remains that our intent is  really self-interest rather than pure altruism.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Happy Birthday to you both:classic_smile:...mine is next week and at one point, I was planning to fly up for about 4 days and do

4 or 5 shows.....not doing it now.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. And Happy Birthday right back at you.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well it seems that Princess is behaving more responsibly than many of their potential customers - cancelling all sailings world-wide March 17 to May 10.

I suspect other lines will bite the bullet.

As a footnote, my wife and I have cancelled a planned three week stay in Florida.  

These steps may not stop the spread, but are virtually certain to slow it down sufficiently to prevent health care facilities to be overwhelmed to the point of inefficacy.

How many intensive care unit beds are there  - staffed by how many competent professionals.

Viking has also canceled sailings.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think we will go unless the authorities decided that plays will be shut down.

Sorry to tell you, but you better check. I just read that 2 ushers have tested positive and B-way will be closed temporarily.