Don’t go on a cruise!

Fun4Us2013

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It has been reported late last night that three people in my county tested positive. All three were on a cruise that did not go to China. They were on the same cruise that returned February 20 but were not all traveling together. One couple plus one. Further evidence that cruises have been a nexus of the US cases and a danger to public health. 

Maybe compare that with the stats on influenza.  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, Charles4515 said:

I have suspended cruising myself but sometimes for the general welfare in an emergency to protect the whole population emergency measures need to be taken despite some peoples opposed opinions or choices. Those who chose to go on the Grand Princess made the wrong choice. Understandable that many of them probably didn’t cancel because they were afraid of losing the money they paid. 

When they boarded the Grand, there had been no indication of any problem or any infected person having been aboard. At that time there had been one ship with confirmed cases out of all the ships in operation. By your thinking then all airports should be closed, all bus stations should be closed, all trains halted, no buses running. Do you not see the ridiculousness of your stance?

BTW calling people lunatics is uncalled for. Enough said.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:14 AM, exactorman51 said:

Hoping a couple companies go broke. They have been ripping off their customers for years.

I suppose the same can be said for many businesses and even some governments if you think about it.

Ironically, it is normally the corrupt businesses as they haven't paid all they should in taxes and such that tend to stay afloat while the honest ones go bust.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 12:47 PM, mayleeman said:

Shop at WalMart. Keeps the odds relatively low of running into random world travelers! 

More seriously, you point out an important issue. With the incubation period so long, it is possible that thousands of people could get infected without any clue of how or when or by whom. Keeping some distance when in public will be a good idea for quite some time.

Cruising? We are scheduled for Nov and Feb. We will see. 

At least it gives us Americans something different to see on TV besides the incessant election ads...

Not only that, but how many people have it that think they have the flu so they don’t report it? And how many people think they have it but don’t report it because they don’t want to be quarantined, or don’t have health insurance? I think the quarantines are totally futile and the government knows it, but hopes to give a false sense of security that people will not encounter the infected, to avoid a panic. Meanwhile my cruise out of NYC, currently in State of Emergency because of the virus, is next week. It’s probably good I’m panicking because it means I’m going to take every conceivable precaution.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, exactorman51 said:

Hoping a couple companies go broke. They have been ripping off their customers for years.

OK, I'll bite.  Who are you talking about?  

• Haha 1

@GlamorousGirl When I saw you had quoted me, I thought, "Wow! Someone found a post of mine from a month ago!" Then I realized it was a week ago yesterday. Things are going fast!

I do regret the flippant tone about having something to watch on TV. The election, while maddening, doesn't make you think Mother Nature is lining us up in the crosshairs!

The state department has come around to my position. I thought they would. 

State department advisory. Don’t go on cruises. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

Edited by Charles4515

On February 17, 2020 at 6:47 AM, YankeesFan4Life said:

61 days away from my cruise on Breakaway.....nothing gonna stop me!  I'm gonna washy washy and make sure my BAC is well above the boiling point of the Coronavirus (although I am not a fan of Corona)....

I think the flu and virus season will be minimal in 60 days.  I heard that only people with high risk ailments should rethink their activities.  DH and I got off a 9'day cruise last Sunday.  We were careful to wash our hands frequently and wear sunglasses to avoid touching our eyes.  We ate lunch in the dining room instead of dinner and sat at a table away from others who may be coughing.  We didn't hesitate to get up and move if somebody did start coughing.  We are retired but have no medical issues.  We got our elderly pneumonia shot last year and we're sure to get our elderly flu shot in the Fall.  Since then, we have not even had a cold this winter.  With warm temps at Cape Cod this winter, have enjoyed walking the Canal and getting lots of fresh air.   

Welcome DAYLIGHT SAVINGS.  .   .   Put out our birds  flag for our first sign of Spring just around the corner. Near 70 Monday sounds great to me.  Let's open our windows and clear out those dirty germs.  Good bye Flu season!  See ya later Corona.  Welcome Heineken season with BBQ tomorrow!

Edited by Leafpeeper

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Not quite correct, as they state in the first 2 sentences.

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment.

I do not have underlying health issues as would many others whether they are US citizens or not. What is more likely to happen with this is that cruise lines cancel their cruises.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not quite correct, as they state in the first 2 sentences.

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment.

I do not have underlying health issues as would many others whether they are US citizens or not. What is more likely to happen with this is that cruise lines cancel their cruises.

Some like you want to grasp at straws. Why would anyone want to cruise when the state department says ports may deny entry, they may be quarantined and the US government says  they may not be able to repatriate? I do agree that cruise lines may cancel their cruises. They should. 

• Like 1

Some like you want to grasp at straws. Why would anyone want to cruise when the state department says ports may deny entry, they may be quarantined and the US government says  they may not be able to repatriate? I do agree that cruise lines may cancel their cruises. They should. 

There are many countries that have cruises still going ahead along with the neccesary precautions to stop the spread of Covid-19. Just because the US cannot handle the situation doesn't mean all cruises need to be stopped. Not grasping at straws at all.

When many school districts are contemplating closing schools and teaching remotely, it does seem odd that so little thought is given to cancelling cruises.  If pro sports can do without paying customers, perhaps cruise lines might consider it —- or at least require serious testing before letting anyone board.  After all, while cruising is pleasant, it surely is not essential. If the lines have business interruption insurance, the cost might be shared — but if Italy can quarantine a major segment of their population, it might be time to consider how important cruising is.

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There are many countries that have cruises still going ahead along with the neccesary precautions to stop the spread of Covid-19. Just because the US cannot handle the situation doesn't mean all cruises need to be stopped. Not grasping at straws at all.

The first three local cases in my area were all people who came back from cruises. The next were either also on cruises or came in contact with people who were on cruises. In my opinion if it were not for the cruise passengers spreading it would  have been handled a lot better. For the greater good cruises need to be suspended temporarily. 

23 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The first three local cases in my area were all people who came back from cruises. The next were either also on cruises or came in contact with people who were on cruises. In my opinion if it were not for the cruise passengers spreading it would  have been handled a lot better. For the greater good cruises need to be suspended temporarily. 

Cruise lines making that decision is fine, especially if governments tell them so, but until that time, and they close schools, shopping malls, work places and such, then life will carry on but with increased precaution.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cruise lines making that decision is fine, especially if governments tell them so, but until that time, and they close schools, shopping malls, work places and such, then life will carry on but with increased precaution.

The government telling cruise lines to do it is under discussion. The lines might decide on their own to temporarily suspend cruises depending on the number who have canceled or will cancel with the new advisory. They are not going to sail empty ships or near empty ships. 

22 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Of course there are differences involving necessity.  Not all activity need be closed down —— work places and food stores are essential, schools less so - and are of particular concern because the coming and going of difficult-to-control children put them near the top,of the list for closing. Shopping malls serve some purpose - and could be controlled by strictly limiting numbers so people would not be in close contact.   But cruising - we all like it, however it is one activity high on the list of contagion sites - and bottom of the list of essential activities.