On Board Marketing Calls

JFontaine

I've received 4 marketing calls today on board the Edge (shore excursion,  captains club, port shopping, future cruise desk) and about 15 in the last few days. Some come after 10 pm. Not knowing who is calling,  i have to listen and delete. Is there a way to shut these down? They're annoying and an infringement on my time and peace. Thanks 

• Haha 1

I agree they're annoying, although I've certainly never received as many as you have.  When I've gotten them, the phone doesn't ring, it just is a voice mail that's left (I just see the voice mail light).  I've never tried, but I suppose you could contact Guest Relations, or fill out one of the mid-cruise comment cards.  While I don't like them, a few haven't been that big a bother.  The number you report is far too many.  I suppose if it's cutting down on the printed material that would be better, but I still get plenty of those too.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

I don't think it is just on the Edge.  The worst part is that we needed to let each message play all the way through, from beginning to end, before the delete key would work.  Many of those messages are quite long.

They should change it to let us delete it at any point, as soon as we determine that we don't want to hear any more of the message.

They have cut back on sending out fliers, so are leaving long voicemail messages instead.

We turn the ringer on the phone off when we don't want to be disturbed.  We keep it turned off at night, and often during the day as well.

The messages just go to voice mail so they don't disturb us , but the problem comes later, when we want to delete them.

If anyone knows a quick way to delete a message without needing to play the whole thing, please post and let us know.

Edited by varoo

On our last Edge sailing, I do not remember how many we received...

I just deleted after listening to them, only a few minutes out of our day for sure so no big bother, especially when traveling with 12 others.

I wonder if one can disconnect the phone so they will not get any calls at all if it impacts the sailing?

Personally, rather get phone calls than constant announcements over the PA, just my preference and not the OP's to be sure.

After all, X has to communicate info which they consider important to them or the passenger... view points on 'important' does vary, to be sure.

bon voyage

10 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I've received 4 marketing calls today on board the Edge (shore excursion,  captains club, port shopping, future cruise desk) and about 15 in the last few days. Some come after 10 pm. Not knowing who is calling,  i have to listen and delete. Is there a way to shut these down? They're annoying and an infringement on my time and peace. Thanks 

wow thats insane they wake you up for that! id be furious. on NCL the concierge leaves messages on the phone but the phone never rings. i think thats a great feature. it was just reminders about when the captains party was and when to meet in the hall to walk to the theater. i dont remember any 'ads' thankfully

27 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

The phone doesn't ring, but its constant. Since I have family on board I have to play them. 

OR, you can give them all post-it notes and let them know that is the only way to communicate with you as you will not be answering the phone.

bon voyage

I've never received any that ring in my room.   Usually just notice them when I get back to our room in the evening. and just push the d button as soon as they beging talking to delete.    You would hate some of the other ships where the Retreat Concierge calls almost every night to give an update on events in the Retreat.  

If you fine notifications disturbing I suggest you report it on the Attention to Detail form usually left on you bed mid-cruise and in you review.  I use to complain about all the Park West spam mail and the complaining worked.  Not sure if it is just me but I no longer get them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Britpamtany1205 said:

Don’t forget the annoying light on the phone that doesn’t go off until you delete the messages also

I travel with a bit of 3M blue painter's tape just for these occasions. Sticks nicely, yet comes off cleanly even after many weeks. 

Amazing that electronic companies don't think about this.  Especially insanely bright LEDs on chargers.

We received  so many recorded junk calls  on EDGE...everyday, very long messages..annoying. cap Club rep, C D , sales, spa offers..etc

We complained and they were cut back.. they should have a do not disturb feature on the phone..

Edited by hcat

It wasn’t an issue on our January 2020 cruise. If I recall correctly the only messages we received were from the Captain’s Club concierge and the Retreat Lounge inviting us to special events.

Edited by Oville