Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

44 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Very well said Briternik.  this is not the flu.  there is no vaccine for it yet so it is very dangerous.  

There's no vaccine for the flu either -- just what they think is the most previlent strain -- a guess.  That's why so many people still get it every year, even if the get the flu shot.

But it is a virus.

My concern is also the "What if's" What if you are turned away from ports? what if someone does get it and I have to be in quarantine? I'm just closely monitoring. I live in Miami, Fl and am leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. in a short 34 days... I think!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FairyCruiser1 said:

My concern is also the "What if's" What if you are turned away from ports? what if someone does get it and I have to be in quarantine? I'm just closely monitoring. I live in Miami, Fl and am leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. in a short 34 days... I think!

If you are turned away from the port, you have a shorter drive home than most.  I'm driving to NYC just in case but it's a 9 hour ride back home.

I am doubtful they will quarantine on the ship but rather send you home to "self quarantine", unless you present with symptoms -- then off to the hospital you go. But alas, I feel the same fears as you -- partially due to all the media on this. Not sure if it is "good news" so they are pumping it up.

14 hours ago, briternik said:

I don't understand why everyone is still trying to compare it to the flu.  It doesn't compare.  Have we ever forced quarantine on a cruise ship because of the flu? Have we ever stopped planes from flying because of the flu?  The Louvre is closed.  Disneyland Tokyo is closed.  They played a soccer game with no fans.  This makes me wonder how much they aren't telling us.  They wouldn't do these things if it wasn't serious.  They lost tons of money.  I agree it's mostly the elderly and immune suppressed at risk.  I'm not worried about myself.  I am worried that I will carry it home to my parents and other older relatives. 

They didn't really have cruise ships the way we think of them now during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, but the SS Talune is relatively famous for having been the subject of an influenza quarantine, yes. And when it docked in Western Samoa and its master neglected to tell local authorities that it had been quarantined at its last port of call, the locals let people off, and they spread the flu virus to the whole area and killed off 22% of the population.

And during that outbreak here in the US, public places including schools were closed nationwide, public gatherings were banned, and they didn't play soccer games in front of no fans because the athletes weren't allowed to congregate together either. Kansas City even banned most weddings and funerals.

And btw, that strain had a 10-20% mortality rate, which blows Corvid-19 out of the water.

• Like 1

We sail out of San Juan on the 28th and plan to cruise but our daughter is urging us to change our mind.  She’s extremely worried.  We spent 2 1/2 days in Bayonne in February, unable to board since we were waiting for confirmation  that passengers disembarking from Anthem didn’t have the virus.  (They didn’t.).   I know if we decide not to go, we’ll get nothing back so we’ll be out $3700 for airfare and cruise.  We have travel insurance but it doesn’t cover epidemics, which corona is considered.  

We have b2b2b2b cruises booked beginning 4/2 out of Sydney and arriving in Vancouver mid May.  We are worried/concerned about both the flights and cruises.  We fly out of Dallas 3/29 on a nonstop.  We were so excited about this cruise series booked the day released.  We think it will be a clear decision if this trip is a go or no go in 26 days.  If we are still able to fly and the cruises are still on, then we are going.  We are trying to be smart in planning at home.  We have nonperishable food, water, hand sanitizer and tp stored,  just in case.  It will all get used regardless.  We want to not miss today worrying about tomorrow without sticking our heads in the sand.  We want to know the current status of the world without obsessing.  Best to all in making the decision that is right for you.  Carpe Diem

BTW, a site I follow that gathers data from across the internet without editorializing about it  

https://imgur.com/user/BunkerJohn

16 hours ago, cameljockey said:

apparently the warmer it gets the less chance the virus has to survive. I trust the cruise line (Celebrity) to closely monitor the situation and will let passengers know well in advance if anything needs to be cancel or not . The last thing they want is a ship with the virus on board. 

this is my feeling too.. Hopefully once Winter is over, this thing will be eradicated!!

Edited by pmck

Here is an article just released from AARP "This Is What a Coronavirus Infection Feels Like"

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/covid19-symptoms.html

Sounds to me this is not as bad as the flu or other seasonal viruses.

The new media hype has made this into a major event and causing lots of panic. Sad.

• Like 1

When the media talks about the death rate percentage among the infected...what about people who may have had a cough, run a fever for a day, and never seen a doctor? This is so new...who can say how many mild UNREPORTED cases there are? 

How many people died in traffic accidents in the US today? That statistic might be frightening unless you could compare to an accurate count of everyone who made it to their destination alive.

• Like 2

Google gives this statistic on auto deaths...

“Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.”

3,287 deaths a day! Random, unpredictable, hand sanitizer and face masks will offer no protection. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hazence said:

When the media talks about the death rate percentage among the infected...what about people who may have had a cough, run a fever for a day, and never seen a doctor? This is so new...who can say how many mild UNREPORTED cases there are? 

How many people died in traffic accidents in the US today? That statistic might be frightening unless you could compare to an accurate count of everyone who made it to their destination alive.

Statistically around 100.

The unreported cases thing is a good point, but pretty much every disease mortality rate statistic has to deal with the same problem.

Well, of course I'm concerned.  We are to stop at ports in Italy at the end of April and I really dont want to be quarantined on a ship in the event someone thinks something is wrong .... or worse .... Norwegian Airlines and RCL are sticking to their normal cancellation policies on this - ie. you dont get your money back - and that being the case, as I wait and see what happens, I'll probably go anyway if they let me out of the country.  You never know by that time.  AND the thing that really pisses me off is our government (USA) warning right now is Level 3 to Italy which means do not travel there.

32 minutes ago, hazence said:

Considering if you do the math on reported recovery vs reported death, using the proper equation of (# of dead)/(# of dead + # of recovered), you get a death rate of around 7.8%, the numbers given by the media are already significantly reduced.

Also the media isn't making these numbers up, they are being calculated by the WHO and similar agencies by people with PhDs and decades of experience.

There is a hope there is a massive amount of under reporting of minor cases, but there isn't a whole lot of evidence of it.

Cars don't kill anywhere near 1% or 3% of people that get into them the first time. The comparison makes no sense. The idea is to keep the number of infected small so the number of dead remains small.

Also, we spend a ton of money to improve car safety in the US. It's not like we're ignoring driving deaths or flu deaths.

Edited by OSUZorba
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Margin Walker said:

I stopped watching the news and I encouraged family to do the same

If this type of thing bothers you, then that is sound advice.  I'm  really surprised that the news stations haven't started having a counter show up constantly with # of new cases and deaths.  

Statistics can be manipulated just like anything else. Our media has expertise in that area in my opinion. Years ago, we made regular trips to Europe for business...OMG...our brains were surely infected with Mad Cow disease! 

Suppose every day the media tracked the number of auto deaths and injuries in the same way they are reporting on this virus? 

There is no proof that 1% to 3% of people who get this virus for the first time...die...because we don’t know how many mild, recovered cases there may be. We also don’t know the health status of each fatality. 

But again, everyone can choose to react in their own fashion. And everyone should assess their own vulnerabilities. Having been stuck in London during the Ash Cloud “crisis”...that is my only fear at the moment. 

• Like 3

On 3/2/2020 at 11:00 AM, Borat said:

That’s scary!
We have a cruise 3/29 - but we are seniors who are in the group that get hits the hardest.  I agree..... can’t worry about things we have no control- but we also have to be realists and know that many people aren’t honest about their  health And go on cruises regardless Of how they are feeling. And now hearing that there are no extra precautions by the cruiseline is disappointing.

we will have to make a decision soon.

We have 6 future cruises booked for this year so far...   next one is in March on Grandeur for 8 night southeast coast / bahamas cruise.  We are able to drive to the Baltimore port (about 2.5 hr drive).     We are okay with this.   Our concern is not the cruise itself as I know they are going above and beyond on their cleaning and making everyone enjoy their vacation.     

My concern is the travelers that are flying into Baltimore and other ports and staying at local hotels.   The airports  and hotels do Not have in place the travel restrictions or cleaning procedures that the cruise lines have.    No one wants to be stuck in a 170 sq' cabin (if that big) or 2 weeks.   I smoke and i can tell you I would be extra bonkers if I am not allowed to leave my cabin to have a cigarette and I have absolutely no desire to quit smoking as I only smoke 3 to 5 cigarettes a day (no lectures on smoking, please).    

Right now we still plan on cruising but if it gets worse we will have to cancel as my DH is a transplant recipient that is  immuno compromised and the virus could be fatal to him.   Last week his transplant doctor said she would not cancel unless things get a lot worse, so we will see what the future brings us and deal with it then.    Not going to loose sleep over it.      Basically, everyone has to decide what is best for them.     Stay well and enjoy life!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sellwingri said:

We sail out of San Juan on the 28th and plan to cruise but our daughter is urging us to change our mind.  She’s extremely worried.  We spent 2 1/2 days in Bayonne in February, unable to board since we were waiting for confirmation  that passengers disembarking from Anthem didn’t have the virus.  (They didn’t.).   I know if we decide not to go, we’ll get nothing back so we’ll be out $3700 for airfare and cruise.  We have travel insurance but it doesn’t cover epidemics, which corona is considered.  

I'm on this cruise with you and my bf is not happy about going. He's afraid of being stuck on ship with no stops. I hope we have a better idea in a week or so.

2 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

Considering if you do the math on reported recovery vs reported death, using the proper equation of (# of dead)/(# of dead + # of recovered), you get a death rate of around 7.8%, the numbers given by the media are already significantly reduced.

Also the media isn't making these numbers up, they are being calculated by the WHO and similar agencies by people with PhDs and decades of experience.

There is a hope there is a massive amount of under reporting of minor cases, but there isn't a whole lot of evidence of it.

Cars don't kill anywhere near 1% or 3% of people that get into them the first time. The comparison makes no sense. The idea is to keep the number of infected small so the number of dead remains small.

Also, we spend a ton of money to improve car safety in the US. It's not like we're ignoring driving deaths or flu deaths.

Numbers in the media seem to be much higher than those being reported by WHO.  Not sure why there is such a discrepancy.  However, based on WHO numbers from Situation Report 42 (March 2), the mortality rates are as follows: China 2915 deaths from 80174 reported cases or 3.6% mortality; Rest of World 128 deaths from 8774 reported cases or 1.5% mortality; and combined world 88948 reported cases and 3043 deaths for 3.4% mortality.  From initial numbers from China, men make up 68% of those infected and the average age of patient is 55.5 years.  It will be interesting to see if the demographic numbers are similar outside of China but I don't think there is enough data yet.

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Numbers in the media seem to be much higher than those being reported by WHO.  Not sure why there is such a discrepancy.  However, based on WHO numbers from Situation Report 42 (March 2), the mortality rates are as follows: China 2915 deaths from 80174 reported cases or 3.6% mortality; Rest of World 128 deaths from 8774 reported cases or 1.5% mortality; and combined world 88948 reported cases and 3043 deaths for 3.4% mortality.  From initial numbers from China, men make up 68% of those infected and the average age of patient is 55.5 years.  It will be interesting to see if the demographic numbers are similar outside of China but I don't think there is enough data yet.

Are you saying you've seen numbers in the media that are higher than the WHO numbers you provided?  If so, where have you seen that?