Constellation cruise terminated - mid cruise in Mumbai

little britain

2 hours ago, sasset said:

It's still selling on Celebrity's website.

As is the 17 march sailing and that was also been cancelled. 

I am sure I will get shot down in flames for this but as soon as President Trump stated on Friday he thought it a good idea to leave Grand Princess floating, this opened the door to everyone else to close their doors.

If ships are sailing well under capacity, then having to offer cruise credits and OBC because of missed ports then there must come a point in time when the finacial departments say, it is more cost effective to stop for a short time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 24acorns said:

As is the 17 march sailing and that was also been cancelled. 

I am sure I will get shot down in flames for this but as soon as President Trump stated on Friday he thought it a good idea to leave Grand Princess floating, this opened the door to everyone else to close their doors.

If ships are sailing well under capacity, then having to offer cruise credits and OBC because of missed ports then there must come a point in time when the finacial departments say, it is more cost effective to stop for a short time.

Really?

First, Italian ports are not closed except for Venice. It´s just the cruise lines which avoid them.

As for the Jewel - according to German TUI Cruises the closure is only for ships coming from non UAE waters (which affects the Connie). The Jewel had limited the itinerary to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sir Bani Yas - therefore she doesn´t leave the UAE waters. Same for TUI Cruises Mein Schiff 5. According to TUI Cruises the Mein Schiff 5 will cruise today as planned. So I assume the Jewel can do the same. But things are changing quickly. It´s a developping story.

steamboats

10 hours ago, 24acorns said:

there must come a point in time when the finacial departments say, it is more cost effective to stop for a short time.

That’s what I think, I do wonder if the TA’s will take place.

If our ship doesn’t come to Southampton, then we won’t be cruising on August 1st.

I’m already thinking that the itinerary will be changed, as we have 4 Italian ports.

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I’m already thinking that the itinerary will be changed, as we have 4 Italian ports.

Sorry, but it´s way too early to say anything about a cruise on August 1st!! The virus (like flu) is not surving warmer temps. So spring and summer will end its season anyway.

steamboats

3 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Sorry, but it´s way too early to say anything about a cruise on August 1st!! The virus (like flu) is not surving warmer temps. So spring and summer will end its season anyway.

steamboats

Think it is way too early to say summer temps will end the virus, just as it is too early to predict what ports will open or close to ships?

If Corona cases decline in warm places like southern Italy, does that mean that cooler climes will experience an increase?

What we both know is one has until late May to decide about going on an August cruise.

2 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Think it is way too early to say summer temps will end the virus, just as it is too early to predict what ports will open or close to ships?

If Corona cases decline in warm places like southern Italy, does that mean that cooler climes will experience an increase?

What we both know is one has until late May to decide about going on an August cruise.

Actually the only port closed in Italy is Venice. All other ports are open.

And that´s what scientists say... it doesn´t survive 80ies... And they expect it to slow down and die out by April/end of April.

steamboats

steamboats
It's not that the warmer temps kill the virus, it's that people tend to be outside, and more spread out when it's warm, rather than being cooped up inside together when it's cold. That slows the spread.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, steamboats said:

And that´s what scientists say... it doesn´t survive 80ies... And they expect it to slow down and die out by April/end of April.

steamboats

Singapore is hot and humid and it survives there. No one knows for sure what this virus will do. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

I did not say anything about specific ports being closed. Only that if your comment is correct the virus would die out in Southern Italy where is tends to be warmer and could likely thus logically erupt in cooler climes like Scotland or South Africa as it will be winter in southern hemisphere.

I agree this virus is not following any predictable path.

58 minutes ago, steamboats said:

And one of the the leading German scientists, Drosten, doubts exactly that... slow down, yes - die out, no!

Edited by Miaminice

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Singapore is hot and humid and it survives there. No one knows for sure what this virus will do. 

That's exactly what I've been thinking too...

We're having a couple of days with temp. around eighties, and wondering if it will slow down the spreading.... with Singapore being the "case study"....

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Link please.  The only preliminary study on this I've seen so far said they do NOT expect weather to play a role in containing the virus.

2 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Here a chart from the Scars out break

lets hope it follows the same course 

As these are worldwide statistics, and the Southern Hemisphere is entering its winter as the Northern Hemisphere enters summer, some may be inclined to conclude that the graph is misleading. What we need to remember is the fact that ±90% of the world's population live in the Northern Hemisphere.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As these are worldwide statistics, and the Southern Hemisphere is entering its winter as the Northern Hemisphere enters summer, some may be inclined to conclude that the graph is misleading. What we need to remember is the fact that ±90% of the world's population live in the Northern Hemisphere.

It not misleading , it shows Scars had a 3 month run, but this virus is more contagious, hopefully it will die off just as quickly , i think ( hope) by June it will be in the rear view mirror 

20 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

It not misleading , it shows Scars had a 3 month run, but this virus is more contagious, hopefully it will die off just as quickly , i think ( hope) by June it will be in the rear view mirror 

Exactly, but I suspect that some might think so if they don't remember the global population distribution.

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

I don't know your source on the 80 degree effect. I haven't read or heard this from anyone other than Trump.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Not now - all of Italy is on lockdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51810673

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk

Which European country will be next? Things are changing from hour to hour.

Edited by villauk

10 hours ago, villauk said:

Not now - all of Italy is on lockdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51810673

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk

Which European country will be next? Things are changing from hour to hour.

Yes, the government of Italy locked down the whole country last night at about 10 pm. Now all Italian ports are off limits.

Celebrity changed their travel alert and includes all passengers who traveled via Germany, France or Spain (and Thailand) into a secondary health screening for Caribbean cruises.

steamboats

17 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

It's late summer in Australia and warm and it's just spreading here now.