P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Currently 27C here, however on patio feels like 47, we face directly south!! 

Have some gardening to do, but 🥵, will leave mowing the law until this evening. Heavy rain forecast for tomorrow so will not need to get hose out to water the bedding plants and the vegetable beds.

I shall be watering the garden just in case. I've been caught out a few too many times times relying on the weather forecast.🥴

Avril

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I shall be watering the garden just in case. I've been caught out a few too many times times relying on the weather forecast.🥴

Avril

Safest bet Avril, we are supposed to get rain tomorrow evening but who knows, scorchio on our side of the hill, I do feel sory for the staff at Greggs, they must be baking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning, hope everyone's good :classic_smile:

The temperature is already 21.c or 69.8F as Graham would say :classic_wink:

It looks like anywhere below Leeds is on for a sizzler , so take care today .

I like to use this checking the weather:classic_love:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.18;-2.46;6&l=temperature-2m

FB_IMG_1655400356712.jpg.00ce5280f87625f9f0fa91c415f9ee51.jpg

Have a good day :classic_love:

26°C here on the North East coast of England.

Dinner tonight Al fresco at a local pub/restaurant.

Graham.

IMG_20220617_131107.jpg

IMG_20220617_131059.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree. 

If you look at house prices now, versus wages, I'm amazed that any young couple can buy anything, without the help of the Bank of Mum & Dad. 

Spot on, a neighbour’s daughter has just moved back in with mum and dad after 8 years away studying and working. She now has a phd, full time job and deposit saved for a house but can’t get a mortgage for something in our area where all her family are. Ironically, her rent whilst combining working and studying was over £800 per month which is far more than the mortgage that she is being turned down for would cost.

• Like 5

I am HOT and feel like I will melt at any moment, it read 30 degrees late afternoon. I swear I heard the air conditioner moaning but I am ignoring that it can't claim to be overworked. The low riders have all clutched themselves on their cooling mats and declined offers of a walk. Good dogs. Shouldn't complain as many folks love heat, I am a right moaning minnie who unless it is exactly 64 degrees Fahrenheit it is either too cold or too hot.

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Spot on, a neighbour’s daughter has just moved back in with mum and dad after 8 years away studying and working. She now has a phd, full time job and deposit saved for a house but can’t get a mortgage for something in our area where all her family are. Ironically, her rent whilst combining working and studying was over £800 per month which is far more than the mortgage that she is being turned down for would cost.

And it just gets worse for others ,some working in factories shops etc and some need food banks after putting a full days work in .

I remember my Dad saying once him and Mum got married a newish council house was not a problem and as for jobs you could walk out of a job one day and start another the next.

Holidays were far and few between and cruise ships were a thing we saw on telly .

It's a changing world that doesn't always reward as it should .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Just listening to the news and it really made me think about priorities, the story was about the rising interest rate which will make life hard.

When we bought our first house in 1980 the mortgage rate was at 15% and we struggled and had to do without luxuries such as holidays for a couple of years but we still considered ourselves lucky to own our house and soon learned to budget.  It seems that many younger people today expect to have everything immediately.  We know that several of our friends are subsidising their children's life style.

I think the house price to wage ratio back then was very different. 

Put it this way. My wage per hour is £12. That’s an unskilled job that actually started at 6.50 but I digress. It’s above minimum wage. 

Say it’s a couple both full time then they will earn about £23-£25k per year. 
You then need at least a 10% deposit for a house. So if you have £10k you can buy a £100k house. If you have £20k then £200k house etc. 

that’s assuming no debt in either persons names. 

unless your living at home with no bills, they would each take home £19k net which means they would need to live off half their wage. If they are renting or anything else then it’s going to be extremely difficult. 

sometimes I find that different generations like to look down on others and I think that’s wrong cos I’d never to able to say they had it easier etc cos I haven’t been in their shoes. 

what else we have is mums returning to work now having to pay childcare cos living on one wage wouldn’t be easy and although a lot of my generation rely on parents even that’s had as our parents are still working.   

the way it’s going I know my girls won’t be out my house into their own when they are 19 like we did and we only did that cos we had to forgo uni. Couldn’t have done both at that time.

im quite prepared to step in and help mine when the time comes as a lot of people are, as you can see from the posts about helping their kids not subsidising.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

as for jobs you could walk out of a job one day and start another the next.

You can certainly do that now. 

Shop staff, for example,  are in short supply, and the hourly rate, whilst not as good as  Vamp's, are pretty good, especially when you take the staff discount into account.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Shop staff, for example,  are in short supply, and the hourly rate, whilst not as good as  Vamp's, are pretty good, especially when you take the staff discount into account.

Sorry but dont think any shop staff wages can be classified as pretty good.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have absolutely no idea what the rates of pay are for any kind of work but I am surprised that anyone would consider Vamp's hourly to be good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but dont think any shop staff wages can be classified as pretty good.

I suppose it is all relative.

But an untrained worker in Lidl, Tesco, Aldi etc, will earn over £10 an hour, plus overtime, 20% discount on purchases,  and paid holidays. So, around £30k a year. Is that a good wage?

The average store worker will end up earning more than a nurse.

Is that good,  or right ? I don't know, but what is clear is that at present,  it is a a job seekers  market.

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

For unskilled work ? Yes, it is pretty good.

I dont believe in current climate that anyone can classify £10-£11 per hour  as pretty good whether unskilled or not. I have been retired for 14yrs and was earning more than that then although my job was skilled. One of the poorest paid industries which are currently struggling to get staff is the hospitality and certainly wouldnt consider a chef as unskilled and the pay in majority of hospitality is very poor that is why they are struggling because nobody will do it for the wages offered. I am sure there are many on here that couldnt survive the lifestyle and think £10-£11   is a liveable wage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I dont believe in current climate that anyone can classify £10-£11 per hour  as pretty good whether unskilled or not. I have been retired for 14yrs and was earning more than that then although my job was skilled. One of the poorest paid industries which are currently struggling to get staff is the hospitality and certainly wouldnt consider a chef as unskilled and the pay in majority of hospitality is very poor that is why they are struggling because nobody will do it for the wages offered. I am sure there are many on here that couldnt survive the lifestyle and think £10-£11   is a liveable wage.

OK, so everybody should earn £50k a year. 

Prices of everything would increase,  taxes would treble, and in the end there would be no difference. There would still be rich and poor.

Unfortunately some people will earn more than others. Us cruisers on here are in a privileged position, but we are the minority.

People do exist on "low" wages, and they manage their budgets accordingly.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

One of the poorest paid industries which are currently struggling to get staff is the hospitality and certainly wouldnt consider a chef as unskilled and the pay in majority of hospitality is very poor that is why they are struggling because nobody will do it for the wages offered. I

Just to add, that I dont disagree with what you say, per se.

But if you double the wages of the chef, increase the wages of the wait staff by 50%, the end result will be that the menu prices will increase so much that no one will eat in that particular restaurant.

So, yes, increase wages as much as you like, but there will be a concomitant consequence.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

The baggage handlers seem to be in short supply up and down the country and when things go wrong it affects everyone . 

Doncaster airport has some lovely jobs, some less than 30hrs a week less than a tenner p/h

https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=Doncaster Airport&l=Doncaster DN12&vjk=ffca4543b5fcfb9a

Now where did they leave my case :classic_unsure::classic_ohmy:

1_THP_CHP_170622Slug_02923JPG.jpg.d41e5c444d358d32c5006e6e452f134b.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

And of course, our previous supply of workers from eastern europe has now been turned off, which is having a big effect on staff shortages in many areas, particular hospitality and agriculture.  Don't worry, I'm not going down the 'Harry route' ..... although I could 😉😁!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have absolutely no idea what the rates of pay are for any kind of work but I am surprised that anyone would consider Vamp's hourly to be good.

to say that’s it’s taken 14 years to get from 6.50 to 12. It’s call centre work so definitely not skilled it’s a job not a career. National minimum wage is £9.50 so I am higher than that. Yes obviously I’d like it to be higher but it’s still classed as good. 

so if you don’t know rates of pay etc how can you comment that is younger generation are getting subsidised 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

But it’s the reality for so many families. I’ve seen mothers rushing here and there over the years, working in social care, retail or hospitality (the kind of jobs we have around here) just earning the minimum wage during school hours just to pay basic bills. Another thing to consider is that these people won’t have the good private pensions that a lot of our members here enjoy. Forget buying shares, forget having several meals out a week. Forget multiple cruises every year! And as Wozz said, the hospitality industry can’t offer better wages as they would then have to increase their prices. 

• Like 2

I worked in retail for 38 years not always top pay but used my money wisely . After the company folded in 2009 between us our income today is the same as then and don't have to work for it .Allowing for inflation guess its less .Not sure how you work out £10 per hour equates to 30k per year .You would have to spend a lot of money in your firm to get  discounts to bring it upto £30k and overtime is not quarateed especially when times are hard in retail 

• Like 2

I suppose it is all relative.

But an untrained worker in Lidl, Tesco, Aldi etc, will earn over £10 an hour, plus overtime, 20% discount on purchases,  and paid holidays. So, around £30k a year. Is that a good wage?

The average store worker will end up earning more than a nurse.

Is that good,  or right ? I don't know, but what is clear is that at present,  it is a a job seekers  market.

Not all shop workers get 20% discount on purchases or guaranteed overtime and many don't work full time so I am afraid your £30k estimation is pure fantasy.

• Like 2

Majority of shop jobs are now on a part time basis wowzz. When I began working for WHS in 1996 the average hours were 20/22 hours pw for counter staff in most stores.

Avril

• Like 2