P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

For those friends who have been around since the pre-covid days, I realised that I haven't given any recent updates on my Mum.

Went to see her a week ago.  Still hale and hearty at 96 - insisted on cooking a homemade steak pie for dinner !

Whilst we were there,  she dug up all the tulip bulbs in the garden,  to store over the summer, prior to re-planting in the autumn. Got to love her zest for life !

Talking to her yesterday on the phone about the coronation, she told me that in 1953 her father rented a 12" TV so that the family could watch the Coronation of Elizabeth. I watched, sitting on her knee, aged nine months ! Not something that I remember.

Wowzz - your Mum is inspiring!   At 20 years her junior, I certainly creak a bit after a day’s gardening now!    

• Like 7

Part 3 

At last the holiday 😍  FLYME.jpg.3bef67c9599069311d8073138774dea9.jpg

We flew from East midlands airport to Funchal a place we have been umpteen times but 

always promised ourselves to stay but never did .

As we taxied onto the runway and all the runway lights were twinkling , all the emotions  of 

what we have had to endure brought a lump to our throat ..

We have finally made it, going on holiday and realising one of my dreams landing on the 

Funchal runway 05 or 23 , it did not matter we were doing it .

The hotel we chose was fantastic for us as we cannot walk far and do not cope with hills very good but we had a superb sea view of the comings and goings ,even of the cruise ships.

@Purdey16 I think was here not to long ago ??

The hotel suited our needs and we ate some lovely meals that they adjusted to our diet .

Will post some later should anyone want to see them .

The hotel is just coming up to two years old and in a fantastic location .

If they P&O did cruise and stays ,we would choose here deffo !

Will leave you with our sea view  and if you managed to read all of this , then thanks .

Take care my friends.:classic_love:

PS Mrs K says thanks to @Beckett and  @grapau27 for your kind words and to all the other posters ,posts I have read out to her ,she thinks you are a great set of people 🥰

20230501_1510381.thumb.jpg.19aced6582ae50b999c15d5b7d7f3fb8.jpg

20230501_1510571.thumb.jpg.d5b6a3acd10de7c891927c4b8744a82c.jpg

20230501_1632381.thumb.jpg.a17526f6b8809b30cf639d56b97fba1a.jpg

NICE VIEWS TO WAKE UP TO 😀

Edited by kalos
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Part 3 

We flew from East midlands airport to Funchal a place we have been umpteen times but 

As we taxied onto the runway and all the runway lights were twinkling , all the emotions  of 

We have finally made it, going on holiday and realising one of my dreams landing on the 

The hotel we chose was fantastic for us as we cannot walk far and do not cope with hills very good but we had a superb sea view of the comings and goings ,even of the cruise ships.

The hotel suited our needs and we ate some lovely meals that they adjusted to our diet .

Will leave you with our sea view  and if you managed to read all of this , then thanks .

PS Mrs K says thanks to @Beckett and  @grapau27 for your kind words and to all the other posters ,posts I have read out to her ,she thinks you are a great set of people 🥰

FLY ME.jpg

Lovely photos Kalos and an amazing view from your hotel. So pleased to hear that you and Mrs K are well and have enjoyed a well deserved, relaxing holiday in the sun. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kalos said:

Part 3 

Kalos, it’s really fantastic to read that you’ve both managed to get away, and to such a lovely place. Really, really pleased it went well, that you finally made that stay in Funchal that you’d promised yourselves for so long. We’re all hanging on your every post now for the full story!  😊

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Kalos, it’s really fantastic to read that you’ve both managed to get away, and to such a lovely place. Really, really pleased it went well, that you finally made that stay in Funchal that you’d promised yourselves for so long. We’re all hanging on your every post now for the full story!  😊

Absolutely agree. Fingers crossed that you can be next Harry.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Part 3 

Kalos. Can we set you some homework?. ....wot I did on my holiday.🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Absolutely agree. Fingers crossed that you can be next Harry.

Nothing would make us more happy than to read @Harry Peterson and his good lady who 

we know has also gone through some tough times finally gets a holiday .

Never give up on your dreams , one day soon they may come true .

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Kalos. Can we set you some homework?. ....wot I did on my holiday.🤣

NO !   I hated home work 😉🤣

This is where it gets a little boring ,as the plan was to do naff all least as possible due to my and 

Mrs health. That's why we chose this hotel with it's great view point from the balcony .

To give you an insight ,think of the roundabout just outside Funchal harbour .

Mr Goole says our hotel is only 130m from it and can be walked within 4 mins .

What seemed a bit of a slope to some was mount Everest to us , try around 15 mins or more .

When out and about we would hop in a taxi but a lot of the time the hot temps , mostly around

22-25.c with blazing sun would see us seek shelter /shade from it .

Sorry to say our bodies and the medications do not like it ,so we adapt.

The first day I ended up with very painful backache which floored me for a few days .

No sooner was i on the mend and one balmy 22.c night whilst out having dinner, the 

Mrs said "I feel cold and shivery " and the next morning was so ill ,she never ate and stayed in bed in pain . I was getting really worried for her .

I didn't know if it was the dreaded C or just a really bad cold . I found a nearby chemist and got some painkillers for her .

The Chemist said it was all over the island but on testing her when we got home, glad to say she tested negative . 

On the few days we got out, we had some nice meals and apart from those nasty blips ,we both agree we would do it again in a heart beat given the chance .Without the nasty blips of course .

Now for a few the food bit for those who like such things ..grilledentrocote.thumb.jpg.6d85e7708a17d1c189db4c2f294cce4a.jpg

Grilled entrecote with mushroom la creme 

salmonpoke.thumb.jpg.c62062d4d3106aa630ef63440a75f105.jpg

Salmon poke bowl

caesarsalad.thumb.jpg.0e7c30ee5b837d63691d69359e062bb0.jpg

Caesar salad Chicken

grilledchick.thumb.jpg.17ba2aba9f4bfea978a258ba16694b8d.jpg

Grilled chicken 

beefsteak.thumb.jpg.9574cf5de734435ce24f2d23d1bf0252.jpgBeef steak 

aqua kill.jpg

Aqua road kill .. better known as shrimp 

image.thumb.jpeg.7fbe8774c9ad5c66a2b254ff4c38f614.jpeg

And for all you fine diners like me a good old Caco de bolo 😍

caco de bolo  steak.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Nothing would make us more happy than to read @Harry Peterson and his good lady who 

This is where it gets a little boring ,as the plan was to do naff all least as possible due to my and 

Mrs health. That's why we chose this hotel with it's great view point from the balcony .

What seemed a bit of a slope to some was mount Everest to us , try around 15 mins or more .

When out and about we would hop in a taxi but a lot of the time the hot temps , mostly around

The first day I ended up with very painful backache which floored me for a few days .

No sooner was i on the mend and one balmy 22.c night whilst out having dinner, the 

Mrs said "I feel cold and shivery " and the next morning was so ill ,she never ate and stayed in bed 

in pain . I was getting really worried for her .

I didn't know if it was the dreaded C or just a really bad cold . I found a nearby chemist and got 

some painkillers for her .

The Chemist said it was all over the island but on testing her when we got home, glad to say 

she tested negative .  On the few days we got out, we had some nice meals and apart from those nasty blips ,we both agree we would do it again in a heart beat given the chance .

Now for a few the food bit for those who like such things ..grilledentrocote.thumb.jpg.6d85e7708a17d1c189db4c2f294cce4a.jpg

Salmon poke bowl

Caesar salad Chicken

Grilled chicken 

aqua kill.jpg

aqua kill.jpg

After the wait I bet it tasted heavenly. So pleased your long awaited holiday went well ( ish ).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So happy to hear from you Kalos, we all missed you and a little worried too but so happy after all these years you been waiting to go away you and mrs K got to Madeira, such a lovely place but not so good when you both felt I’ll for a few days and I think I know what hill you were on about down near the harbour and the roundabout, glad we had a car to deal with it.

Congratulations on the news of you going to be a great grandad .

Now you have broken the holiday bug you can start planning your next one 😍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's a very kind thought, Kalos, and very much appreciated. I showed your comment to my wife and she asked me to thank you very much - we'd been talking about you and your wife earlier in the day, funnily enough, and were both so pleased you'd managed to get back to Madeira as you'd always planned.  

Holidays away aren't in the planning for the foreseeable future, but with warmer weather horizons open.  We've had three outdoor lunches at various venues within travelling distance in the last few weeks - two with family and one with old friends from Somerset days many years ago.  One more coming up shortly in our garden with friends from our time in Ipswich, and another one just afterwards with our son and DIL + baby grandson in Derbyshire.  That plus chatting with friends when we walk round the village every day makes up for the holidays - never, ever get remotely bored! 

There is a new drug currently with NICE for approval (or not) which would mean not having to take the drug I currently have to take which knocks out my immune system and renders vaccines ineffective. NICE will report towards the end of this year - fingers crossed!

Sorry you both hit those health problems in Madeira, Kalos, but pleased they didn't altogether spoil was was obviously a wonderful holiday.  Madeira is very much on our shortlist too if things work out.  🤞

Harry

• Like 19

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's a very kind thought, Kalos, and very much appreciated. I showed your comment to my wife and she asked me to thank you very much - we'd been talking about you and your wife earlier in the day, funnily enough, and were both so pleased you'd managed to get back to Madeira as you'd always planned.  

Holidays away aren't in the planning for the foreseeable future, but with warmer weather horizons open.  We've had three outdoor lunches at various venues within travelling distance in the last few weeks - two with family and one with old friends from Somerset days many years ago.  One more coming up shortly in our garden with friends from our time in Ipswich, and another one just afterwards with our son and DIL + baby grandson in Derbyshire.  That plus chatting with friends when we walk round the village every day makes up for the holidays - never, ever get remotely bored! 

There is a new drug currently with NICE for approval (or not) which would mean not having to take the drug I currently have to take which knocks out my immune system and renders vaccines ineffective. NICE will report towards the end of this year - fingers crossed!

Sorry you both hit those health problems in Madeira, Kalos, but pleased they didn't altogether spoil was was obviously a wonderful holiday.  Madeira is very much on our shortlist too if things work out.  🤞

Harry

I can promise you the Mrs and I will have our fingers crossed for you and for your Mrs .

Until NICE play nice ,you two take care and enjoy your outings ☺️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Mrs said "I feel cold and shivery " and the next morning was so ill ,she never ate and stayed in bed in pain . I was getting really worried for her .

I didn't know if it was the dreaded C or just a really bad cold . I found a nearby chemist and got some painkillers for her .

The Chemist said it was all over the island but on testing her when we got home, glad to say she tested negative . 

On the few days we got out, we had some nice meals and apart from those nasty blips ,we both agree we would do it again in a heart beat given the chance .Without the nasty blips of course .

Salmon poke bowl

Caesar salad Chicken

Grilled chicken 

aqua kill.jpg

Aqua road kill .. better known as shrimp 

image.thumb.jpeg.7fbe8774c9ad5c66a2b254ff4c38f614.jpeg

And for all you fine diners like me a good old Caco de bolo 😍

caco de bolo  steak.jpg

Sorry to hear about both of your health scares kalos but I'm happy for you both that you enjoyed your holiday in a fabulous hotel in a fantastic location.

Lovely food photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kalos said:

Forgot but it's a tall ship that takes young people, learning them the ropes of how to sail such a vessel.

Watched it sail away and its got hell of horn on it , sounds like a freight train !

I think the other one was a seadream yatch club ship ( the give away was that it was written on the side ,) when I saw that I thought " Kalos has been saving up his holiday money for the last few years :

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great to have you back Kalos and to know that you are OK. Life deals us good and bad, all the responses on here show that we all think you are one of the good. May you have many more holidays, even if they may lead to us being concerned. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So pleased to hear from you @kalos and glad you got away to lovely Funchal. Your hotel room and balcony look fantastic even it there were some problems.

I feel quite emotional reading all the responses here, what a lovely community we have here. 

I’m off to bed now feeling all warm and fuzzy 😊

• Like 9

Glad you had a good time Kalos and Mrs. Kalos, but sorry you had a few rough days.

I bet I'm not the only one who will now look forward to mornings and the sensible musings from yourself.   They add a bit of sophistication to the day!🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Morning all ,hope everyone's doing ok this morning 🙂

Back to reality and until the next time I'm left with a couple of mozzie bites, they 

kindly left me alone until the very last night .

I enjoyed my time watching the planes land at Funchal  battling the winds .

They say sometimes some of aircraft have been taken out of action due to bird strikes.
What I want to know is, what does their union even want ? 😉

Some folks say the strangest things (True story )..

Me.. How did you sleep last night ?

Mrs K   "Not good I have been awake all night and I have only just woke up when you 

got out of bed."🤥😕🥴

If anyone can help me out with this one , until then have a great day and take care :classic_love: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Some folks say the strangest things (True story )..

Me.. How did you sleep last night ?

Mrs K   "Not good I have been awake all night and I have only just woke up when you 

got out of bed."🤥😕🥴

If anyone can help me out with this one , until then have a great day and take care :classic_love:

As another female, it makes perfect sense to me.

Not our fault if you men can't keep up with our kind of conversations 🤣😇

Edited by indiana123
  • Haha 11

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is an easy one - awake all night, finally nodding off at perhaps 5 or 6 in the morning, then woken by some infuriating man!!

What I want to know is, when in the life cycle of a wife does "my darling husband" become "an infuriating man"?

• Haha 10