P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Bright and windy in Medway this morning and I completed the portable mini greenhouse which i use to protect some cactus in the garden, plus lots of heavy weights as last winter it nearly blew away. 

boiler saga- I completely shut down the combi boiler and the engineer is attending on Monday afternoon. It is over 14 years old and due a replacement but I hope a temporary fix is possible. Meanwhile I have a microwave, toaster, grill, kettle and electric shower so I am managing OK.

Broadband/phone - The engineer arrived Tuesday morning and said that he could not do the job because the fibre 'drop wire' needs to run between tree branches. He would send the report up the command chain and they would arrange for the tree trimming. 😟

Wednesday morning two Openreach engineers arrived in 2 vans!. The one on Tuesday was a sub contractor and they are paid by the job so any difficulty and they go elsewhere. Ninety minutes later I have neatly installed full fibre broadband and a digital voice phone service. I ran a speed test, Download 205 Mbps and my tablet and phone are over 30 Mbps, they did not need to trim the tree either. 🙂

This digital phone service will replace the existing copper based system by the end of 2025 leaving people with the choice of fibre based digital or mobile phone technology. The new service requires you to dial the full number including the area code, just like a mobile.

Covid jab tomorrow, flu jab Monday morning and a tooth filled Tuesday

• Like 12

All this talk of cutting down on food has inspired me to do the same. Hence we ordered a kiddie meal from our chippy. 

Chips,sausage, mushy peas with a drizzle of Curry sauce. 

All helped down with a slice of bread and a hot mug of tea.

Was surprised  how much you get with kiddies meal.

Put it out onto a plate so Mega gets a good view 😊 

20231006_125028.thumb.jpg.7e0828a225b5477bca170de6773920b5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Temperature currently at 19C, cloudy with the occasional sun spell, just checked the lawn, it is dry so will cut it now, although due to be dry and warm tomorrow, we are due our Covid/Flu jabs tomorrow at our GP Practice, so not sure whether will be able to cut lawn tomorrow if any reaction.

Removed summer bedding from planters ready for the winter bedding to go in and bulbs to be planted. I have winter pansies, cyclamen and wallflowers to plant, as well as narcissuses, tulips and hyacinths. Looking a dry week ahead, so should get them all in, plus I may even order a skip to get rid of rubble of small wall I demolished in the garden a few weeks ago, together with pile of accumulated rubbish behind the garage.

After the failure of our Fridge Freezer a few weeks back and the subsequent delivery of a replacement, yesterday our small freezer got written off as well when the part needed to fix it was no longer available. So after almost 14 years of service both have given up virtually at the same time, glad we had both covered, so we get a replacement, just need to choose which one from list sent us.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, kalos said:

All this talk of cutting down on food has inspired me to do the same. Hence we ordered a kiddie meal from our chippy. 

Chips,sausage, mushy peas with a drizzle of Curry sauce. 

All helped down with a slice of bread and a hot mug of tea.

Was surprised  how much you get with kiddies meal.

Put it out onto a plate so Mega gets a good view 😊 

20231006_125028.thumb.jpg.7e0828a225b5477bca170de6773920b5.jpg

At least the plate looks nice.🤣

• Haha 8

24 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Been out for the day towards Marsala and Trapani and saw salt being made also took in a boat trip across to Mozia Island. (I've no idea why some are upside down!🤷‍♀️)

20231006_134158.jpg

20231006_133741.jpg

20231006_133858.jpg

20231006_133927.jpg

A nice little cove beside our hotel. Also upside down.🤣

20231004_152616.jpg

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

We were married 42 years ago in August but today was 44 years since we got engaged.

Dinner tonight.

I forgot to photo Pauline's Haddock and chips.

IMG_20231006_181405.jpg

IMG_20231006_181408.jpg

IMG_20231006_185040.jpg

Congratulations to you both. This is me and Gail in 1973.

IMG_4875[137]-edit-20231006220531.jpg

• Like 23

I am desperately trying not to eat.  I'm starving.  Its so difficult not to in the middle of the night.   New meds are known for weight gain so  I am trying to resist!😊

We hadn't heard about the new book, but saw it yesterday so OH has just started it.  I'm not a great book reader.

• Like 5

Good morning fellow insomniacs.

Well the rain has started here already and once the sun is up I’m going to dig out the puddle pump from the garage as I have the feeling it will be needed later today.

There is a severe weather warning for today and tomorrow, many of the trains are cancelled and a travel warning for the roads.

Autumn used to be dry and frosty.  Now it’s just warm and constantly wet.

I hope you all have a better day weather wise where you are.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I am desperately trying not to eat.  I'm starving.  Its so difficult not to in the middle of the night.   New meds are known for weight gain so  I am trying to resist!😊

We hadn't heard about the new book, but saw it yesterday so OH has just started it.  I'm not a great book reader.

We are an hour in front but always up at 6 anyway.We set off for UK at 9 all loaded up.Have you tried the Libby app,it's linked to all the public libraries in the UK.I've been downloading loads of Tom Clancy and Dale Brown techno spy thrillers since being here and it's all free.

• Like 10

Morning all, supposed to be very warm today for this time of year but we’ll see.

Went to our son’s late afternoon yesterday for a birthday dinner for John. So pleased to see my grandson as I don’t see him regularly now he’s at school full time 😔 I do miss him. We told each other we missed each other!

He’ll be 5 in 2 weeks, no idea where that time has gone!

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Things are forever changing ,was only talking with Mrs K about how as kids we used to

get cold foggy frosty mornings towards Christmas and snow for the New Year.

Now days,seems more chance being March /April.

This planet warming has been going for some years ,only to look at Christmas cards showing  scenes of the river Thames (1870's ?) where folks held markets and fairs on it's frozen surface .

Not much chance of that in todays world . ,We have 15.c overcast promising to be 22.c as the day goes on .

Take care and have a good day everyone 🙂

• Like 14

Got up at & this morning . the radio clock in the lounge was wizzing around again, a habit it repeats every few months, maybe that is the sign of a new battery needed but it is not in the destruction leaflet. Calm and warm today so a trip to Sainsbury's this morning and watching Rugby later.

ps - i might have a gas leak in the kitchen but does not smell like gas??? Hopefully it is the combi boiler because my mains pipe was replaced about 30 years ago and it runs under the bedroom floor  😱

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

i might have a gas leak in the kitchen but does not smell like gas??? Hopefully it is the combi boiler because my mains pipe was replaced about 30 years ago and it runs under the bedroom floor  😱

If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 

Take care not chances better safe than sorry Dave better a false alarm than ..😢

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'm annoyed with myself for missing a half price 'Which?' Do Your Own Wills offer as I've held on to the flyer for ages!  I think it's now just 30% off.  Do I wait until the next offer rolls around?  Maybe not.  We do have Wills but they need amending.  We updated our Lasting Power of Attorney documents using the Which? pack - all online with their notes and then they check it for you and return it to you before you complete it.

After that jolly topic, here's a much nicer one:  I've just measured out the dry fruit for the 2 Christmas cakes I am making this year.  The fruits will soak in brandy until tomorrow and later I'll line the baking tins and check I have all the ingredients so I'm good to start in the morning.  I love the smells that linger after the cakes have been cooked.

I think we'll go out to lunch and just have a sandwich before Strictly.  All in all, looking like a pleasant day.  I hope you all have nice plans for the weekend, whether you are in the cool temperatures with rain @Eglesbrech or 'basking' in the sunny south east. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Good morning fellow insomniacs.

Well the rain has started here already and once the sun is up I’m going to dig out the puddle pump from the garage as I have the feeling it will be needed later today.

There is a severe weather warning for today and tomorrow, many of the trains are cancelled and a travel warning for the roads.

I hope you all have a better day weather wise where you are.

Still in Menorca for a couple of days.....scorchio.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

We are an hour in front but always up at 6 anyway.We set off for UK at 9 all loaded up.Have you tried the Libby app,it's linked to all the public libraries in the UK.I've been downloading loads of Tom Clancy and Dale Brown techno spy thrillers since being here and it's all free.

Safe drive home Brian and I hope it’s dry all the way back , take care and rest lots 🚘🚗🛣️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'm annoyed with myself for missing a half price 'Which?' Do Your Own Wills offer as I've held on to the flyer for ages!  I think it's now just 30% off.  Do I wait until the next offer rolls around?  Maybe not.  We do have Wills but they need amending.  We updated our Lasting Power of Attorney documents using the Which? pack - all online with their notes and then they check it for you and return it to you before you complete it.

After that jolly topic, here's a much nicer one:  I've just measured out the dry fruit for the 2 Christmas cakes I am making this year.  The fruits will soak in brandy until tomorrow and later I'll line the baking tins and check I have all the ingredients so I'm good to start in the morning.  I love the smells that linger after the cakes have been cooked.

I think we'll go out to lunch and just have a sandwich before Strictly.  All in all, looking like a pleasant day.  I hope you all have nice plans for the weekend, whether you are in the cool temperatures with rain @Eglesbrech or 'basking' in the sunny south east. 

I loved the smell of spiced fruit cakes cooking , I used to make Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings years ago but not for 30 years now, but I did make a lovely Dorset fruit cake yesterday afternoon to use up a awful lot of cooking apples this year .

IMG_4429.jpeg

• Like 16