P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

My youngest sister just rang to ask me to not go to their house today as planned to drop off Christmas presents because her husband is in bed ill, he works at the hospital and was sent home last night because he was not well at work.  She also told me that another sister had called to call off a play date for their grandchildren because her husband has tested positive for covid.  The fact that b-i-l has Covid is worrying  because last time he had it be ended up in hospital with a collapsed lung.

It really is shaping up to be the worst Christmas ever for our family. DH's sister's husband is also ill with a chest infection which is a bigger problem for him than most because he has COPD which he blames on having been a dentist when they didn't wear masks.

2024 can only be better than this year.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My youngest sister just rang to ask me to not go to their house today as planned to drop off Christmas presents because her husband is in bed ill, he works at the hospital and was sent home last night because he was not well at work.  She also told me that another sister had called to call off a play date for their grandchildren because her husband has tested positive for covid.  The fact that b-i-l has Covid is worrying  because last time he had it be ended up in hospital with a collapsed lung.

It really is shaping up to be the worst Christmas ever for our family. DH's sister's husband is also ill with a chest infection which is a bigger problem for him than most because he has COPD which he blames on having been a dentist when they didn't wear masks.

Oh Josy, really sorry yo read all this, especially after the already challenging year you have already had. Fingers crossed no hospital stay. Take care

Michelle

• Like 7

Morning All again.   I thought i would share a whatsapp message i received yesterday from my old workmates ( at the funeral business where i last retired from) usually i would not be able to share as they mostly are a bit "rude" for some on this  forum.  But this one struck a cord & i share it now as i did also with friends & family.........Sums up our generation.

our generation.txt

• Like 9

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas from Teddy...

604bb814-3e7f-49a2-a1de-116a75aa9c4e.thumb.JPG.44be514ccf316af85364fd929d892bad.JPG

...his mum...

10469a77-7611-414c-b983-4b13a483b530.thumb.JPG.17e0b45bc77a06ae0173043a24177924.JPG

...and his twin sister Bella:

6f23459d-a582-41d1-80cb-f1696e98280c.thumb.JPG.d63f19cb6b566fdfb194169c1314bd2e.JPG

(Ted is busy looking at the treat I was holding trying to get him to sit still for the camera. Needless to say the other 2 are professional photographs shared online).

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry to read this, especially after the year you have just been through. I hope they all get better soon without any trips to hospital. Take care.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Another grey drizzly day day here.

I noticed yesterday that our petrol was getting a bit low so I thought this morning that I would go up to Tesco and fill up before it got too busy.  I was glad when I got there that I was only getting petrol and not doing any shopping because the car park was pretty full even though it was only 7am.  It was definitely a good idea to do all of our shopping on Thursday, I can't imagine what it will be like later.

Have a good day everyone.

All done. We went down to Morrisons about 11.30am. Shelves well stocked up, got everything on the list + a bit more, all the checkouts we manned. In and out quicker than normal. House is now full up with food. Out to dinner  Sunday, out to lunch on Monday. Panic mode.....how will we eat all that ?🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 7

We took Cheddar to Trentham Gardens this morning thinking we would have a nice quiet walk as everyone would be food shopping. Forgot that every Saturday they have a Parkrun and today was a special fun run with most of the runners in fancy dress. Of course she wanted to run with them. Arrived back home absolutely shattered after chasing a snowman by the lake. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

I usually only read this thread and rarely post as I tend not to  divulge much about myself. However the people here bring a lot of comfort to each other and I can relate to many of the problems. Some people have had a very hard year and I hope 2024 brings happier times. 
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and look  forward to continuing reading this thread. 
🎅🎄🎁🐪🫏🐑 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Howling winds again here during the night.  I  went out to get the turkey crown out of the freezer in the garage to defrost ready for tomorrow and saw that the lid from the paper recycling bin had escaped so had to take a walk round the garden to find it and the wet papers.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.

• Like 11

Today we're of to the local panto... "Oh yes we are!" and then we ... as always... have planned a very special evening... quiet music... candle light... a meal for two and some good wine... it's our version of "Silent Night"... it's a time to; take stock, count the blessings, remember the laughter and share warm memories of the folk who can't join us around the table.

We're both so grateful that we've enjoyed, appreciated everything that we've done and experienced in the year... the Northern Lights last winter... a Baltic cruise in the summer and a trip along the Danube... trips in the UK. Perhaps age brings with it the belief in taking nothing for granted and enhances appreciation, enjoyment and excitement.

There were less Christmas cards this year... but we remember the warmth, friendship and humour of those that can't pop in for a drink and a chat this Christmas... and perhaps that  makes us appreciate even more the companionship of every one of our near neighbours who came to exchange warm greetings and pressies this year. 

We learned only yesterday that another old friend was no longer with us... the family have left his personal website online... there he is... happy, cheerful walking his two dogs on the paths that he loves so much and he's still chatting about his love for good food and wine. And we... are so lucky to be able to have known him, we remember his humour, his recommendations on wine, his fancy dress and his wonderful infectious enthusiasm. (In the days when the tv "wine-experts" were encouraging everybody to smell every exotic fruit in the most ordinary wines, he once described a rather iffy red wine as smelling of the "inside of a tram-driver's leather glove.")

So our very Best Wishes and thanks to everybody who've allowed us to share this thread and who've amused us, humoured us and informed us over the last year. Thanks for the likes, the laughs and the "thanks."

In the words that Charles Dickens used exactly 160 years ago to immortalise Tiny Tim... "God Bless Us Every One!" 🌠 

• Like 28

47 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

In the words that Charles Dickens used exactly 160 years ago to immortalise Tiny Tim... "God Bless Us Every One!" 🌠 

Dickens " A Christmas carol" was originally published in two local newspapers.
It was the Bicester times, it was the Worcester times...🙃

• Haha 16

2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Merry Christmas to all.
Freddie is waiting patiently for Santa and promises he hasn’t eaten the carrot left out for the reindeer…🙄

IMG_0088.jpeg

Good news for Freddie and all of the CC forum members. The Norad Santa tracker goes live within the hour. He's loading up and will soon be on his way. DW and me wish everybody a safe and peaceful Christmas🧑‍🎄🎅🍰

• Like 18

Good morning everyone it’s windy but dry for now here , I’ve just made some sausage rolls with onion chutney, paxo stuffing, dried onions, dried cranberries in for a change and dropped some round to some neighbours on their own , I’m making nigellas forgotten cookies later because you leave them all night in the oven and you can forget them 😂 apart from that it’s a lazy day today and tomorrow , so I hope you all enjoy your next few days of holidays and eat lots but most of all relax and enjoy each other’s company.

IMG_5160.jpeg

IMG_5162.png

• Like 18