P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

You never know ? Could have been testing you to see if you were  just a phone call

away and you would still come and see her ?   I'ts all new to her at the moment🙂

Morning all, just 1.c here and will get to about 3.c   so a day staying warm and cosy.

Have a good day .🙂

I don’t think so, we’d been to see her the day before and taken her to the local shopping centre!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So we are in Franschoek (near Cape Town) waiting to board our wine tram.

There are upto 9 vineyards on our tour we could choose to stop at for tastings!!!

I think 3 or 4 max in reality for us

All sorts of tastings to have alongside the wines

Cheese, meats and chocolate!!

We will be trying all of them!!

Lol

It's going to be a fun day

We did a similar tour many years ago which stopped for lunch at a restaurant which had an open air area under a few trees which created a gazebo effect. 

However as the afternoon tastings wore on memories become rather blurred.

• Like 2

Morning all, John’s been on his phased return to work of 4 hours, today is his first 6 hour day! He’s got another physio appointment Monday and I think that might be his last one so he’s getting there!

Very dull and cold here, I hate January! Still virtually half way through now, glad it’s John’s day off tomorrow as he can give me a lift to work, I do hate walking in the dark!

• Like 10

Managed to get out in the garden yesterday, well the greenhouse where it was a balmy 12C, with outdoor temp around 7C, managed to clear out much of the accumulated rubbish from the last 6 months, old sees packets, plant labels, plant pots that I had stuck under the staging, upset a few spiders by removing them. Wiped down framework on one side and put up insulation, with a plant to finish it today. So much for plans, it’s been raining with a little sleet most of the day, temperature around 4 in the greenhouse with a wind chill temp of -2C outside. Hopefully tomorrow will be drier and I can finish off what I started yesterday. 

Instead I have been looking through land holiday sites and cruise sites (both riviera and sea) to see what we can find for later this year. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Glad to hear this as I’ve been tempted to do the four night Hamburg one. I didn’t think Cunard had freedom dining so it’s interesting to hear as we don’t like sharing tables.

Yes, Freedom in the lower Britannia Restaurant (deck 2) and set dining upstairs (deck 3). Dinner is also available in the Golden Lion pub. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I love it like this and moan and moan through July and August.   I will never know why😏

Me too Indiana. I love the cold, snow, and rain but I hate hate hate Summer. Oh well, we're all different aren't we!  Jane xxx

I'm just the opposite (though I hate excessive heat) and the main reason is I love to see the trees in spring and summer, and flowers all around, even in huge hanging baskets in the main streets in town.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I'm just the opposite (though I hate excessive heat) and the main reason is I love to see the trees in spring and summer, and flowers all around, even in huge hanging baskets in the main streets in town.

Me too. Winter time is hibernation time in my lttle corner🥶

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

It's more the daylight hours for me rather than the weather, I can't stand the dark late afternoons from the October clock change to late January. My worst month is November, getting progressively darker as the evenings draw in, I feel better in January knowing and seeing the sunset times coming out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Me too Indiana. I love the cold, snow, and rain but I hate hate hate Summer. Oh well, we're all different aren't we!  Jane xxx

I don't hate the cold but I do prefer warmer weather, but the main reason for preferring summer is the longer daylight hours.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It's more the daylight hours for me rather than the weather, I can't stand the dark late afternoons from the October clock change to late January. My worst month is November, getting progressively darker as the evenings draw in, I feel better in January knowing and seeing the sunset times coming out.

You beat me to it, but not by much.😉

• Like 1

Very cold but sunny here. We took the family out for brunch earlier then went for a long walk, the area was packed with walkers. 

I hate winters with a vengeance hence why we always go away for a few weeks, those cold miserable short days do nothing for me, I don't mind days like today where it is cold and dry and we can wrap up and get out and about.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Very cold but sunny here. We took the family out for brunch earlier then went for a long walk, the area was packed with walkers. 

I hate winters with a vengeance hence why we always go away for a few weeks, those cold miserable short days do nothing for me, I don't mind days like today where it is cold and dry and we can wrap up and get out and about.

I wish we'd had your sun, it's been overcast here for the last 2 days (well it came out for about half an hour today) and there was some unexpected drizzle and a rain shower this morning as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

plant pots that I had stuck under the staging, upset a few spiders by removing them. 

EEEEEK.. I would have run half a mile down the road.   In the past I have been known to accost some innocent person in the street wimpering "Are you scared of spiders?"

When OH and I lived in separate houses (down a lane) he was so good when he got a call at 1 am to come and rescue me.  He knew what a state I would be in.😶

• Like 1

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We did a similar tour many years ago which stopped for lunch at a restaurant which had an open air area under a few trees which created a gazebo effect. 

However as the afternoon tastings wore on memories become rather blurred.

Well a day that started with a wine tram tour  in Franschoek at 11.30am finished with me singing "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees at 11pm in a Cape Town Karaoke Bar - 80kms away

That's what a wine tram tour can do to you I guess!!

Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Woken up this morning to a light dusting of snow and -2C currently. Looks a dry day ahead, so may venture out to finish insulation in greenhouse and put new fleece covering over winter cabbages after the storm last week damaged covering, new stronger fleece arrive yesterday. 

• Like 2

We also have a light dusting of snow so I am expecting a queue to get into the school drive this morning.  I have noticed that if it is very cold and/or wet more parents and grandparents take the children to school rather than letting them walk. 

• Like 2

Cape Town this morning

Today we join Azamara Pursuit for a 12 night South Africa Cruise

The ship only holds 900 guests so will be the smallest ship we have cruised on. Apparently it's often only half full this time of year as well.

The food gets great reviews and drinks are included

Can't wait.

Boarding appears from what I can see to be very laid back. No online check in required prior. No luggage tags needed prior. We just have to turn up with passports and baggage and credit card to swipe. And they take a photo. Apparently. Hopefully it's as easy as that.

I guess on smaller ship cruises with less passengers they dont need to have done much in advance.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 14

Good Morning,

Had rain when I got up this morning and it's a cold 4c although feels more like -2c. Dry now and clouds are beginning to break up so we might get to see the sun.

Meeting a friend for coffee this morning and then need to start packing.

Hope everyone has a good day and take care.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Boarding appears from what I can see to be very laid back. No online check in required prior. No luggage tags needed prior. We just have to turn up with passports and baggage and credit card to swipe. And they take a photo. Apparently. Hopefully it's as easy as that.

I guess on smaller ship cruises with less passengers they dont need to have done much in advance.

So no need for an App then ? Maybe they have naps instead and just roll up at

whatever venue when the fancy takes you ?🙃

Have fun and try not to worry about us poor souls,  -1.c here this morning 🙂

• Like 4

12 hours ago, indiana123 said:

EEEEEK.. I would have run half a mile down the road.   In the past I have been known to accost some innocent person in the street wimpering "Are you scared of spiders?"

When OH and I lived in separate houses (down a lane) he was so good when he got a call at 1 am to come and rescue me.  He knew what a state I would be in.😶

You're living in the wrong place.When I was a gas engineer for West Kent housing the spiders in the outside meter boxes were as big as my fist,lol.

• Like 3