P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Not longer, just more of it in daylight!

I have my black out curtains closed in the bedroom as it is barely dark here. Light drops fully just before 11pm and back up again in the middle of the night. The sun shimmers into the back of the house in the morning so I need heavy curtains to ge a decent sleep.

I’m off on an adventure tomorrow so I’ll catch up on everyone news in a couple of weeks.

• Like 13

Our cleaner was due this afternoon.She does 2 hrs a week inc. changing the bed and getting on a stepladder cleaning the tops of all the cupboards.She's in her mid 60s, it's 32c here and she smokes like a chimney.We knew she had a hospital app. this morning but she's just texted to say she's just had a pacemaker procedure but she can still come later.OMG, I feel like a Victorian mill owner.Good job we haven't got a chimney,I could send her grandkids up it.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have my black out curtains closed in the bedroom as it is barely dark here. Light drops fully just before 11pm and back up again in the middle of the night. The sun shimmers into the back of the house in the morning so I need heavy curtains to ge a decent sleep.

I’m off on an adventure tomorrow so I’ll catch up on everyone news in a couple of weeks.

Have a good time wherever your adventure takes you.

Avril

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Whatever you're doing and wherever you're going - have a great time Eglesbrech. Jane xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That sounds exciting!!! Hope you have a great time

Michelle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Whatever you're doing and wherever you're going - have a great time Eglesbrech. Jane xx

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Have a good time wherever your adventure takes you.

Avril

I’m off to Germany on a cruise up the Kiel canal to Kiel week, we will be there for the last day. I’ll be dropping some notes as we go on the Fred page if I can find free WiFi.

Really looking forward to it. A couple of new ports for us, which is unusual and out of Rosyth so a relatively short journey which makes such a nice change. If it had been Southampton we would have started traveling yesterday!

• Like 18

24 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m off to Germany on a cruise up the Kiel canal to Kiel week, we will be there for the last day. I’ll be dropping some notes as we go on the Fred page if I can find free WiFi.

Really looking forward to it. A couple of new ports for us, which is unusual and out of Rosyth so a relatively short journey which makes such a nice change. If it had been Southampton we would have started traveling yesterday!

This sounds fantastic, have a great time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, loving our cruise on Ventura to Amsterdam so far, we’re just sitting on our balcony watching our transit into the city. We dock in an hour! 

IMG_8796.jpeg

I really enjoy watching transits such as this, so much to see! Great photo, bringing me happy memories of our transit out of Rotterdam last year.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Hope you have a lovely time and I look forward to hearing about your trip.   The weather forecast looks good for tomorrow so you should have a nice sailaway.🛳️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, loving our cruise on Ventura to Amsterdam so far, we’re just sitting on our balcony watching our transit into the city. We dock in an hour! 

IMG_8796.jpeg

Have a great time, I'm looking forward to hearing all about Ventura 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thank you for your interesting feedback on what sounded like a really fascinating cruise.

After sailing on Iona this year (okay, just not for us) we booked a Cunard cruise for next year, so your observations were particularly welcome.  Hope you had a decent journey back - the older I get, the more I dislike overnight flights, and I've done dozens and dozens.  I'm doing a TA (Celebrity) in October and expect my overnight flight back from Florida to be my last; intending to fly over in future and then do a TA sail back.  That's the plan ...... unless a bargain comes up 😉!

Can't complain about the journey home thanks, it has been a very long day, we had a slight delay from Heathrow to Manchester but in the grand scheme of things nothing we couldn't deal with. The cruise outweighed the flying, and I hate flying with a vengeance. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Glad it’s all been a success for you Phil it’s a most beautiful place, I’ve done mostly Canada but will be doing Alaska in the coming years , safe travels home.

A great success thanks, the views and wildlife are enough to make Alaska special for cruising. I can see us going back in years to come.

• Like 9

On 6/15/2023 at 10:23 PM, zap99 said:

When we saw our first bears in Canada, a mother and 2 youngsters some folk got out of their car to take photos.  Our coach driver said we will stop a bit longer so you can take photograph's of wild bears eating tourists.

Yep ring your bell if you see a bear, hardly surprising bear pooh has bells in it.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Enjoy your kiel canal trip , it sound’s exciting Eglesbrech and can’t wait to hear all about it .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

IMG_8796.jpeg

Sue I’m pleased you’re Ventura trip is going smoothly so far , enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DamianG said:

We're still recovering from Let's Rock Leeds at the weekend. I went early to get us a good spot, Michelle waited in for the sitters for Kyle and Teddy then arrived at 11:30am but didn't actually gain entry until 1pm so completely missed the first act (Tony Hadley, scheduled at 12pm). The whole entry system was a shambles, paying extra for "posh loos" didn't prevent the ladies still having to queue every time and the bar prices were eye watering (4 cans of Madri lager and 4 small cans of Prosecco cost £60!). 

For all that we had a great time with only Blancmange and Soft Cell disappointing. It's great when you're not particularly excited for any specific artist but then they convert you to becoming a fan with an outstanding performance, especially The Farm and OMD on this occasion.

image.png.c3b9cd9bd03531d9cdbefd3a97bfedb2.png

image.jpeg.20609f785fda63bb96b7fdd14cd6c661.jpeg

image.jpeg.47fca19e365b0b25fb4160751efc8f31.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b6198812ce4aa904357a7ec76cdff9c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5880c4a4769022e7b4f157c28e5d6f92.jpeg

Blimey Damian,these are on offer at 1.65 Euro a pack.I get the hump when it goes back up to 2 IMG_20230622_0638504101555.thumb.jpg.411d0e6bf8c442f0e992547bbe04df4a.jpg Euro.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DamianG said:

I really enjoy watching transits such as this, so much to see! Great photo, bringing me happy memories of our transit out of Rotterdam last year.

Have a great cruise.

It was fantastic, we’re leaving at midnight tonight so we won’t see much leaving!

Funnily enough not long after I posted my photo I looked at my emails and discovered next year’s cruise to Amsterdam has been changed to Rotterdam! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Blimey Damian,these are on offer at 1.65 Euro a pack.I get the hump when it goes back up to 2 IMG_20230622_0638504101555.thumb.jpg.411d0e6bf8c442f0e992547bbe04df4a.jpg Euro.

Last year it was £6 for a pint of Carling & £27 for a bottle of Prosecco. This year it was £6.50 for a can of Madri, £8 for a pint of Carling & £8.50 for a tiny can of Prosecco. Even allowing for logistical costs the prices were extortionate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Last year it was £6 for a pint of Carling & £27 for a bottle of Prosecco. This year it was £6.50 for a can of Madri, £8 for a pint of Carling & £8.50 for a tiny can of Prosecco. Even allowing for logistical costs the prices were extortionate.

Do you remember our banter about the old lady with a trolley load of Peroni.That was back in 2019 and the prices of a 3 pack here haven't changed since then.The blatant profiteering that goes on in the UK under the guise of a "global crisis" does not happen here.Glad you had a good time,I've never been to a festival,do they still do all that naked mud sliding.Brian.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Do you remember our banter about the old lady with a trolley load of Peroni.That was back in 2019 and the prices of a 3 pack here haven't changed since then.The blatant profiteering that goes on in the UK under the guise of a "global crisis" does not happen here.Glad you had a good time,I've never been to a festival,do they still do all that naked mud sliding.Brian.

I do remember that conversation, feels like another lifetime ago! I’ve been annoyed about supermarket prices for ages, they did nothing to stop panic buying in the early days of COVID and my local Sainsburys blatantly exploited it with displays of toilet rolls under a banner stating “When they’re gone, they’re gone.” Needless to say they made record profits but now things are tighter for so many people they’ve hiked the prices to protect their profits. Inflation is a complicated calculation but on a very simple level how can the soap I used to buy for £1 a pack now be £2.50, or the coffee that was £3 now be £6.50?

Let’s Rock Leeds is a one day retro festival and we’ve been lucky with the weather over the last few years so I’ve not experienced any mud sliding (yet). Lucky for us Temple Newsam estate is in the park where we take Teddy every day so it’s just a (wobbly) 1 mile walk home (though maybe we clock up more than a mile if we can’t walk in a straight line). 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I do remember that conversation, feels like another lifetime ago! I’ve been annoyed about supermarket prices for ages, they did nothing to stop panic buying in the early days of COVID and my local Sainsburys blatantly exploited it with displays of toilet rolls under a banner stating “When they’re gone, they’re gone.” Needless to say they made record profits but now things are tighter for so many people they’ve hiked the prices to protect their profits. Inflation is a complicated calculation but on a very simple level how can the soap I used to buy for £1 a pack now be £2.50, or the coffee that was £3 now be £6.50?

Let’s Rock Leeds is a one day retro festival and we’ve been lucky with the weather over the last few years so I’ve not experienced any mud sliding (yet). Lucky for us Temple Newsam estate is in the park where we take Teddy every day so it’s just a (wobbly) 1 mile walk home (though maybe we clock up more than a mile if we can’t walk in a straight line). 

Hi Damian. Thanks for the festival photos and reviews. Feeling my age, I knew everyone of the names on the list and probably saw them all first time round! I used to frequent a place called the Camden Palace (every Friday night) and Soft Cell were regulars - as was Boy George and a lot of others from their era. They weren't playing - just being seen in the VIP area! Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves despite the outrageous prices.

I've been watching the build up to Glastonbury and now I know I'm old - I mean where do you plug in your hairdryer!!!

Have a good day. Jane xx

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Very poignant Harry. What a world we live in now. I despair sometimes. Jane xx

While reading the newspaper Dad would often say 'With the state of things today, I'm glad I'm on my way out of this world and not into it', and that was  more than 35 years ago. 

Will we ever learn?

Probably not.

Avril

• Like 15