P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good luck with your medical appointments Jane @Beckett.

I hope your back pain eases soon.

Arvia sounds a good choice for your special birthday although imo your granddaughters will prefer RCL Anthem of the sea's or any Oasis class ships.

It is raining heavily here too and it is 18°C.

Graham x.

I would vote Anthem or any Oasis class ship too just for the choice of things to do. We are on Anthem in a few weeks with our grandchildren 

Michelle 

• Like 4

Thanks for your advice @grapau27 and @Peanut006. I'll look into your recommendations. The girls will be 19 and 16 by then so young women who will be doing their own thing most of the time. Trouble is, I want to try the new Queen Anne but I don't think it's going to suit the others. Oh well, it will be fun doing our research and I always have a great time with the family so lots to look forward to.

Jane xx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good luck with your medical appointments Jane @Beckett.

It is raining heavily here too and it is 18°C.

Graham x.

Yep hope Jane gets sorted 🙂  It's rained non stop this morning and on top of the monsoon we had Sunday ,Jane has sent her monsoon our way as well, which is knocking seven bells out of our flowerers.  :classic_sad:

rainy.thumb.jpg.ddded3b1d64331f736080a85a92d4be4.jpg

• Like 6

Rained quite heavily for a few hours, we noticed our front guttering was overflowing, I got in touch with a local business who had sorted a similar problem about 7 years ago. Rang him at 9:45 he said he would come out, 11am he was here, by 11:15 problem solved, a small piece of tile had stopped moss and leaves and created a dam in the gutter. Excellent service. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Had our first letter, well birthday card, with the Kings Head on the stamp today, first time seen one in the “wild” so to speak, looks very odd after all these years with the Queen on them.

IMG_1693.jpeg

It will definitely take a while to get used to this change. Just so used to the old Queen.

This stamp doesn’t look very regal by comparison to the Queens version. Why no crown I wonder?

• Like 1

Normal chaos with my repeat prescription at Boots yesterday. they had everything except the most important medication and said their suppliers had no stock and they could not give me a date for collection. They suggested I go back to my surgery and get an alternative!. No luck on the phone this morning so as soon as the downpour stopped I wended my long and weary way to the surgery. Eventually they gave me a prescription for a generic alternative and said go to the local pharmacy just round the corner. Just round the corner was half a mile and half a mile back. The local pharmacist said he had not seen a prescription for that for many years, however he could order the original medication AND they would deliver. Wended my long and weary way home and guess what, the stuff arrived at 2.55. Brilliant so now i am pilled up and they are getting the job although they are 2.5 miles away as the crow flies. I am not a crow and now completely **ackered. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

It will definitely take a while to get used to this change. Just so used to the old Queen.

This stamp doesn’t look very regal by comparison to the Queens version. Why no crown I wonder?

I know its along time ago but I don't believe Geoge vi or Edward viii wore a crown, although the stamps did have a crown on them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Normal chaos with my repeat prescription at Boots yesterday. they had everything except the most important medication and said their suppliers had no stock and they could not give me a date for collection. They suggested I go back to my surgery and get an alternative!. No luck on the phone this morning so as soon as the downpour stopped I wended my long and weary way to the surgery. Eventually they gave me a prescription for a generic alternative and said go to the local pharmacy just round the corner. Just round the corner was half a mile and half a mile back. The local pharmacist said he had not seen a prescription for that for many years, however he could order the original medication AND they would deliver. Wended my long and weary way home and guess what, the stuff arrived at 2.55. Brilliant so now i am pilled up and they are getting the job although they are 2.5 miles away as the crow flies. I am not a crow and now completely **ackered. 

Sorry to hear that Dave. It’s becoming increasingly common unfortunately for really critical medications to become unavailable, and in wide areas of the country too. I hang around sometimes in one of the many rather useful FB groups for particular conditions, and people are tearing their hair out at the moment to get supplies of the one drug that effectively controls the condition.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Brilliant so now i am pilled up and they are getting the job although they are 2.5 miles away as the crow flies.

I had a big name chemist and they were always forgetting to pick up my prescription,

deliver the tablets  I needed . In the end we parted ways and I used another that had just set up nearby and they are brill . Once the young woman in the shop dropped my tablets off when on her way home .

She said the delivery guy had broke down but as it was on her way home ,she would bring them for me . Top chemist and service .

• Like 10

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Yep hope Jane gets sorted 🙂  It's rained non stop this morning and on top of the monsoon we had Sunday ,Jane has sent her monsoon our way as well, which is knocking seven bells out of our flowerers.  :classic_sad:

rainy.thumb.jpg.ddded3b1d64331f736080a85a92d4be4.jpg

Such a shame Kalos - sorry about that. It's just started raining again here actually but much lighter now. I'm quite happy because I don't do 29 degrees heat very well.

I think me and you have been deleted earlier on. My fault because I named a person - sorry Mods, I apologise. Another shame because you're the only person who's ever called me a right honourable woman Kalos!!!

Have a good evening.

Jane xx

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I know its along time ago but I don't believe Geoge vi or Edward viii wore a crown, although the stamps did have a crown on them.

I just looked and you are correct no crown but a small crown in the corner. I prefer the Queens probably because it’s all I’ve ever known.

• Like 1

I was given a prescription for steriods to take in conjuction with my radiation treatment. I was told that I would be given extra than the prescribed dose in case symptoms lasted longer than expected, so I had them in the house if I needed them. My course of tablets was for me to take just 12, but my prescription was for 150😲

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Very interesting thanks for the link, but I still don’t like it. I’m sure the King won’t be bothered by my preference 😀.

I don't like the new coins released with King Charles’ head on them either.

Then again, I’ve never liked change.

I suppose all the mums to be will be looking at popular kings names ,like Charles,

Henry, George and Burger🙃

• Haha 10

Well, it's all over for another cruise, we are now at the Hilton Vancouver where Cunard have kindly supplied a courtesy room. We also had the option of a free Vancouver tour, we have done that previously so opted for the hotel. We were planning on leaving the luggage and having half a day in the city but this option suits us better. A great cruise with a nice itinerary, certainly one we could do again in future years with different ports. We didn't think there was any difference between our last Cunard cruise in 2019 and this one regarding standards aboard, we have been well looked after and no complaints. The only minor whinge is the duplication of some shows, we got two shows three times as our cruise was made up of three segments, we did actually go to one of them all three times as we really enjoyed it, there was plenty of alternatives around the ship so no big deal. If anyone has any queries please feel free to ask.

• Like 19

35 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Well, it's all over for another cruise, we are now at the Hilton Vancouver where Cunard have kindly supplied a courtesy room. We also had the option of a free Vancouver tour, we have done that previously so opted for the hotel. We were planning on leaving the luggage and having half a day in the city but this option suits us better. A great cruise with a nice itinerary, certainly one we could do again in future years with different ports. We didn't think there was any difference between our last Cunard cruise in 2019 and this one regarding standards aboard, we have been well looked after and no complaints. The only minor whinge is the duplication of some shows, we got two shows three times as our cruise was made up of three segments, we did actually go to one of them all three times as we really enjoyed it, there was plenty of alternatives around the ship so no big deal. If anyone has any queries please feel free to ask.

Sounds great - glad it went so well!

You know both, so I'd be interested in your views on the comparison between P&O and Cunard these days if you have a minute or two to spare please?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sounds great - glad it went so well!

You know both, so I'd be interested in your views on the comparison between P&O and Cunard these days if you have a minute or two to spare please?

Cunard beats P&O hands down in every aspect except price, you are paying for a better experience. Whether that difference is worth it, for us I would say probably not, however if the price difference was Cunard + 20% cost then maybe. P&O don't do Japan or Alaska so there is no real comparison as we didn't have that choice. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Glad it’s all been a success for you Phil it’s a most beautiful place, I’ve done mostly Canada but will be doing Alaska in the coming years , safe travels home.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thank you for your interesting feedback on what sounded like a really fascinating cruise.

After sailing on Iona this year (okay, just not for us) we booked a Cunard cruise for next year, so your observations were particularly welcome.  Hope you had a decent journey back - the older I get, the more I dislike overnight flights, and I've done dozens and dozens.  I'm doing a TA (Celebrity) in October and expect my overnight flight back from Florida to be my last; intending to fly over in future and then do a TA sail back.  That's the plan ...... unless a bargain comes up 😉!

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 5

We're still recovering from Let's Rock Leeds at the weekend. I went early to get us a good spot, Michelle waited in for the sitters for Kyle and Teddy then arrived at 11:30am but didn't actually gain entry until 1pm so completely missed the first act (Tony Hadley, scheduled at 12pm). The whole entry system was a shambles, paying extra for "posh loos" didn't prevent the ladies still having to queue every time and the bar prices were eye watering (4 cans of Madri lager and 4 small cans of Prosecco cost £60!). 

For all that we had a great time with only Blancmange and Soft Cell disappointing. It's great when you're not particularly excited for any specific artist but then they convert you to becoming a fan with an outstanding performance, especially The Farm and OMD on this occasion.

image.png.c3b9cd9bd03531d9cdbefd3a97bfedb2.png

image.jpeg.20609f785fda63bb96b7fdd14cd6c661.jpeg

image.jpeg.47fca19e365b0b25fb4160751efc8f31.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b6198812ce4aa904357a7ec76cdff9c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5880c4a4769022e7b4f157c28e5d6f92.jpeg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 15