P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 hours ago, indiana123 said:

got nurses to tell OH no household matters for me for three months!! I won't print the reply.  

Indiana I’m pleased all went well and I certainly hope that you are at least pain free for a bit to see if these injections work , time to rest for a bit now .

• Like 10

Good morning 13.c ,looks to be a makings of a nice day .

Love or hate it, todays the Grand National and folk keep asking me 

"Are you having a go ? "  ..  The answer is no ,but I did have go on 

the one on Blackpool's sea front once .🙃

I was  told a woman has won the grand national... Unbelievable. !!!

I cannot imagine Mrs K jumping over all those fences.

I'm off to make a cuppa and pick two horses at random that may win 

but I chose my winner years ago ..Mrs K ♥️🙂

Hope you all have a good day -Take care 🙂

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

I was up just after 6 am this morning. I knew that today was the day to book my one-way Premium Economy reward flights out to Florida for next March, using points and taxes.  All done!  45k points and £738 for the 2 of us with the back row in PE booked, yeah!  As with this year, we are sailing back from Fort Lauderdale but next year into Southampton.  This year we are sailing into Amsterdam and flying back to Manchester.  No overnight flight and no jet lag; result!

On to more mundane matters, we have been besieged by small black flies.  Ugh!  The sort you don't pay much attention to when there's only the odd one but then you do start to notice when they multiply.  We really don't know what has caused it, old bits of fruit in the kitchen bin?  Except we have never seen them around the bin.  Anyhow we found some old (and probably now illegal) fly spray which got rid of some of the blighters yesterday, and then thanks to Mr Google, I tried a dish of white vinegar last night and this morning, discovered that IT WORKS 🙂.

@indiana123 I hope you get some permanent relief very soon.

Off to finish my last minute packing for tomorrow's Florida flight, but I hope to pop in from time to time 👋

• Like 12

Up at 5.30am   - no reason - just woke up early.  It's 12c and cloudy here at the moment. The forecast is for an ok weekend before the rain returns on Monday.

I'm just watching the news and hearing about multiple stabbings at a shopping mall in Bondi, Sydney. People just out shopping on a busy Saturday afternoon and boom, lives lost and changed forever. So scary. I'm beginning to wonder if we're safe anywhere.

@indiana123 How are you feeling today? I do hope you're getting some respite from your pain.

@Purdey16 Thanks for the photos - lovely blue sky - and what a surprise you had from your unexpected visitors. Have a Great few days together.

@Grumpycruiser60plus How lovely that you're in beautiful Charlestown. I visited there some years ago and could have stayed there forever. I bet it hasn't changed much either. Your photos are really fab and thanks for posting them. Have a great day at The Lost Gardens of Heligan.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Be well. Jane xx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning 13.c ,looks to be a makings of a nice day .

Love or hate it, todays the Grand National and folk keep asking me 

"Are you having a go ? "  ..  The answer is no ,but I did have go on 

the one on Blackpool's sea front once .🙃

I was  told a woman has won the grand national... Unbelievable. !!!

I cannot imagine Mrs K jumping over all those fences.

I'm off to make a cuppa and pick two horses at random that may win 

but I chose my winner years ago ..Mrs K ♥️🙂

Hope you all have a good day -Take care 🙂

You old softie Kalos. I'm sure Mrs K. feels the same. Have a great day. Jane xx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

On to more mundane matters, we have been besieged by small black flies.  Ugh!  The sort you don't pay much attention to when there's only the odd one but then you do start to notice when they multiply.  We really don't know what has caused it, old bits of fruit in the kitchen bin?  Except we have never seen them around the bin.  Anyhow we found some old (and probably now illegal) fly spray which got rid of some of the blighters yesterday, and then thanks to Mr Google, I tried a dish of white vinegar last night and this morning, discovered that IT WORKS 🙂.

Off to finish my last minute packing for tomorrow's Florida flight, but I hope to pop in from time to time 👋

I must ask what you do with the white vinegar. Do you drink it, sprinkle it around the house or put a bowl of it on the floor to drown the little b***ers? 

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I must ask what you do with the white vinegar. Do you drink it, sprinkle it around the house or put a bowl of it on the floor to drown the little b***ers? 

😁 In a shallow dish.  This morning 5 were floating in it with a couple more hovering around the dish ready to dive in!  The house now smells of vinegar, as flushed with success, there are a few more 'just in case' dishes of vinegar around the house.

• Like 6

White vinegar and washing up liquid mixed in a little bowl attracts them because it smells sweet/sour sauce 😀 always work for me when those tiny black flies come in and I don’t have fruit out so they must come in through the windows I open every morning 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

to finish my last minute packing for tomorrow's Florida flight, but I hope to pop in from time to time 👋

Mrsgoggins have a fabulous holiday in Florida and plenty of sunshine for you , have a wonderful flight , we still have a couple of weeks to book our seats for our Japan flight.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

White vinegar and washing up liquid mixed in a little bowl attracts them because it smells sweet/sour sauce 😀 always work for me when those tiny black flies come in and I don’t have fruit out so they must come in through the windows I open every morning 

We were pestered with them earlier on in the year, it was a bit too cold for them to have come in from outside, and I assumed they possibly came in on a christmas gift house plant.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We were pestered with them earlier on in the year, it was a bit too cold for them to have come in from outside, and I assumed they possibly came in on a christmas gift house plant.

I don’t remember this sort of small flies years ago but we have just a few of them now and again, I’ve noticed them when staying in hotels as well. We don’t often have fresh fruit out, we do have a couple of house plants and I think they must ‘live’ in the moist compost?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I was up just after 6 am this morning. I knew that today was the day to book my one-way Premium Economy reward flights out to Florida for next March, using points and taxes.  All done!  45k points and £738 for the 2 of us with the back row in PE booked, yeah!  As with this year, we are sailing back from Fort Lauderdale but next year into Southampton.  This year we are sailing into Amsterdam and flying back to Manchester.  No overnight flight and no jet lag; result!

In the past we've found that these pesky black things have come in on kitchen herbs pots from the supermarket... and the pesky white versions have come in on the pots of mint.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

In the past we've found that these pesky black things have come in on kitchen herbs pots from the supermarket... and the pesky white versions have come in on the pots of mint.

Interesting. I haven't had any herb pots for quite a while but I do have a 'suspect' indoor plant, which has spent the last 2 nights outside ..... if it survives it survives, and it may be innocent, but I want the little flies gone before I leave tomorrow. My fear is that there are fly eggs lurking, the vinegar will lose its potency, and we will open our front door when we return in May to be greeted with a swarm 😱.

I think I will get my BIL to pop in and replace vinegar.  Just 'talking' about it has helped to formulate a plan 👍

• Like 5

It doesn't seem to know what to do here weather wise, it started bright sunny and mild but had clouded over and a couple of light showers, no chance of a hat trick of dry days here.

We did our usual run to Barnsley for breakfast and pick up supplies for the weekend. There is a food fair on this weekend and the smells were tantalising as we walked around. 

I nipped into the bookies for my yearly punt on the Grand national, I have plumbed for Noble Yeats at 22/1 ew. Bet Fred is paying out on the first five at fifth of the odds for a place. Easy come easy go.

Enjoy the weekend all especially the folk heading out on a cruise.

• Like 5

The "flies" are actually gnats believe it or not.  They do indeed come from soil in house plants.  We have 10 large orchids and over winter these annoying little so and sos took hold as my friend watered too much while we were away in December/January.  Once I dried the soil out by repotting they disappeared.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/fungus-gnats

• Like 11

Thank you for your messages.

I dare not say too much and put the mockers on it all but am a bit of a scaredy cat at the moment in case I set pain back on again.  I must get over that.  I am a bit of a tough old bird usually but this pain lark got me. Every time I thought it couldn't get worse. it did.

My OH has booked a pub restaurant again for Sunday lunch tomorrow (after last year's one) so that our respective families can  all meet up, mine/his,  brothers, sisters,  nieces, nephews, steps, grandchildren etc.  The pub has been warned and the champagne is on ice.

My grandson has been injured playing football, he is ok but on crutches, so it will be a good family photo, me on two gold sticks (for special events) and him on crutches!🤣

• Like 15

Good afternoon.

We called at the beach earlier and stayed until it started to rain as Pauline had some washing on our line but fortunately it wasn't raining at home.

I never watch the Grand National but good luck to anyone who has put a bet on.

IMG_20240413_123805.jpg

IMG_20240413_122127.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Beckett said:

Up at 5.30am   - no reason - just woke up early.  It's 12c and cloudy here at the moment. The forecast is for an ok weekend before the rain returns on Monday.

I'm just watching the news and hearing about multiple stabbings at a shopping mall in Bondi, Sydney. People just out shopping on a busy Saturday afternoon and boom, lives lost and changed forever. So scary. I'm beginning to wonder if we're safe anywhere.

@indiana123 How are you feeling today? I do hope you're getting some respite from your pain.

@Purdey16 Thanks for the photos - lovely blue sky - and what a surprise you had from your unexpected visitors. Have a Great few days together.

@Grumpycruiser60plus How lovely that you're in beautiful Charlestown. I visited there some years ago and could have stayed there forever. I bet it hasn't changed much either. Your photos are really fab and thanks for posting them. Have a great day at The Lost Gardens of Heligan.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Be well. Jane xx

Good Afternoon everyone. @Becket thanks for the mention, as promised yesterday  I will post last night menu & our choices ( we both had the same fish & fish, but different dessert). 

We are just back from visiting The Lost Garden of Heligan, I took loads of pictures,  but at the moment, can't get them to transfer via WiFi to my tablet & Google.  We then drove along coast to  visit Fowey, very pleasant town, while there we took a river cruise for 45minutes  ( so have had 1 cruise now this year) does that count!!. Again pics b ut they are on 📷. Will try & sort it .

The pictures  now below. 

20240412_185316.jpg

20240412_185326.jpg

20240412_190111.jpg

20240412_193231.jpg

20240412_194421.jpg

20240412_195752.jpg

20240412_203006.jpg

20240413_131837.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Help,,,, I think they got my brain on Thursday because today I suddenly wanted to do baking.

I know some of you bake your own bread. I don't but today  I did, and we ate more than we should.  Whats the best way to keep the rest of the loaf fresh, is it clingfilm, foil or some other way    Thanks.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Help,,,, I think they got my brain on Thursday because today I suddenly wanted to do baking.

I know some of you bake your own bread. I don't but today  I did, and we ate more than we should.  Whats the best way to keep the rest of the loaf fresh, is it clingfilm, foil or some other way    Thanks.

I make sure that it is completely cold and put it in a large plastic airtight food container.  Homemade bread doesn't keep as long as massed produced bread.

Morning 7.c and bright sunshine for us this morning .

Looks like the "wide awake club " are having a lie in today 😅

When you all stir from your slumber hope you all have 

a good day - Take care 🙂

• Like 7

Thanks, kalos. Awake at 4.15 but I had had 6 hours, so no complaints.  I think many of us are awake very early  most nights, but don't want to bore the rest of you too much with our tales!

In my case, waking early obviously means tired and sleepy by 9 p.m., a vicious circle.

• Like 10