P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Since my 'I'm feeling sorry for myself'😒' post this morning I've been reading back through them again I'd case I'd missed any. I came to realise that for a group of people who have, mostly, never met everyone seems to be friendly, caring and considerate with each other. Having never posted before until CC, is this a usual thing or just on this forum? 

Avril

I've not come across it anywhere else - t'internet is often a nightmare.

Not here, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can understand that - it must be awful.  The ability to sit down with friends in the garden, or even just chat to people as they pass by, has made life since the infection rate dropped much nicer, even though we can't safely go out shopping etc..

My concern about the new measures is that they'll do very little, unlike the Scottish measures, to stop the rate of infection from increasing - and increasing fast.  That seems to be the consensus view of leading scientists, and if we're doing too little, too late again, as we did in March, a full lockdown and a dysfunctional NHS beckons once more.

Time will tell, and I can understand the relief that we aren't following the Manchester example, or the Scottish one, but if it leads to an out of control infection rate again, which I suspect it will, what's been achieved in reality?

There is another option - basically lock down the old and the vulnerable and leave everything else to function more or less normally, and the hard liners are pushing for that, but it's politically a high risk strategy.

The lock up the old and vulnerable brigade really get on my nerves. While yes age is one factor there are so many others. A fit 75 year old is less likely to die if they catch Covid than an obese, smoking 30 something. 

Even if personal risk assessments were done to identify all the vulnerable which would waste a lot of GP resource, systems would need to be in place to support those locked up (without trial).

Just letting the virus rip through the rest of the population could leave a lot of younger folks with a lifetime of ill health if they happen to be the ones who have a bad reaction and suffer from long Covid. They might quite rightly resent the old being protected when they were not.

The restrictions up here are much more draconian and no one likes them but most law abiding people will follow them none the less. It is going to be a long and lonely few months until we can meet friends and family again at home. A pub or restaurant is no alternative as in my opinion the risk is higher there so I shall be stuck here for the foreseeable.

This too shall pass.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Since my 'I'm feeling sorry for myself'😒' post this morning I've been reading back through them again I'd case I'd missed any. I came to realise that for a group of people who have, mostly, never met everyone seems to be friendly, caring and considerate with each other. Having never posted before until CC, is this a usual thing or just on this forum? 

Avril

We are fortunate to have come together as a caring, considerate group who support and help each other. 

I didn't post for sympathy, but just because I needed to unload a bit as need to be strong today for Michelle and knew you lovely people wouldn't mind. 

Genuinely, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all for the kind words and support, you really are the best. 

Andy xx

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

So, everyone in Spain is wearing a mask, and their infection rate is dramatically worse than in the UK!

Agreed Wowzz but I'm just going on what he says ,even Brian who posts on here says Italy felt safer and

look at their figures !

He was not saying things said in our country was wrong or right ,he is saying that the spanish down 

the tourist areas seem more chilled and seem to have no complaints and do wear masks.

The police are everywhere and fine you on the spot if you are not wearing one .

I think he just was glad to get away from all the media complaints we seem to have over here.

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think Sue's response covers that one Harry. 

This morning I got a reply from one of my buddys who is out doing location filming in Spain .

He tells me that he finds it loads better than our country as for one they do what they are told .

Ie wear a mask and no one goes about like in the UK moaning about it .

Yes we have some daft rules ,now law but lets try a new idea in the UK, lets do like Spain does, 

thats do what we are told instead of trying to make things suit us . Seems to work in Spain .

Everyone's happy he says  Got to be better than "Yeah but no but all the time" :classic_smile:

I'm not advocating that approach, Kalos - just mentioning it as one of the options increasingly being pushed by some MPs.

I'd be directly affected, and very adversely, but I can also see the other viewpoint, which is that if the economy crashes completely everyone suffers - including the old and the clinically vulnerable.  I'm waiting for surgery at the moment (the fourth in three years) and I'm pretty keen to get it done before Covid really kicks off, if it's not too late already.  I want the NHS to survive, and I don't want to see it swamped, as it has been.  If it's swamped again, as it was earlier, huge numbers of people are going to miss vital tests and equally vital surgery.

There is no right answer, but keeping the NHS functioning must surely be one of the highest priorities, and it certainly isn't functioning properly at hospital level at present. Not the fault of the staff in any way, or the managers - both are doing their level best. But it is the fault of the politicians for their constant meddling and interference, and constant underfunding, even though this pandemic has been predicted for years.

Do we really need to have Public Health England replaced at such a critical time?  And do we really want Dido Harding of all people, with failure after failure under belt, to head it?

When I see headlines like this in the Telegraph, I despair.  Maybe she'll do it in partnership with Chris Grayling?

Health chiefs react with dismay as Dido Harding suggested as possible candidate for NHS top job

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I have found that this forum has become a lot busier and friendlier since lockdown and you have been a big contributor to this.

Previous to lockdown I spent most of my time on RCL forums as most of our cruising in the last several years has been with RCL.

I popped in here sporadically if there was an interesting thread but like on  RCL threads there was one or two snarky posters who have since stopped posting.

Graham.

• Like 4

ASDA are hiring a 1000 “safety Marshall’s”, basically mask police for their shops. Those with no mask will be given a pack of disposables which will be added to their bill.

I hope they train them to respect exceptions as well as press those who are ignoring the laws.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I’m on a Liverpool FC one and there’s a football section where there’s lots of banter and a lot of the posters are very quick witted scousers.

There is also a ‘general ’ section where everything else is covered and that’s got quite a community feel to it with 50 year old men admitting they’ve got depression, talking about job worries and there’s even collections for a couple of people who are ill. The internet (especially social media) can bring out the worse in people but forums like this show most people are good people.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yes we have some daft rules ,now law but lets try a new idea in the UK, lets do like Spain does, 

thats do what we are told instead of trying to make things suit us . Seems to work in Spain .

Everyone's happy he says  Got to be better than "Yeah but no but all the time" :classic_smile:

The point is kalos, if they don't try it how do they know it won't work?

If everyone had obeyed the rules from the beginnig instead of complaining and finding ways to flout them then we wouldn't be in this flipping mess now. Unfortunately we already have a new Cummins. Danny Kruger.

Avril

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I have found that this forum has become a lot busier and friendlier since lockdown and you have been a big contributor to this.

Previous to lockdown I spent most of my time on RCL forums as most of our cruising in the last several years has been with RCL.

I popped in here sporadically if there was an interesting thread but like on  RCL threads there was one or two snarky posters who have since stopped posting.

Graham.

I totally agree with you, I used to only post on the Azamara forum has most of our recent cruises have be with them.

You lot have been a breath of fresh air in a very difficult time, thanks to all of you.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Agreed Wowzz but I'm just going on what he says ,even Brian who posts on here says Italy felt safer and

look at their figures !

He was not saying things said in our country was wrong or right ,he is saying that the spanish down 

the tourist areas seem more chilled and seem to have no complaints and do wear masks.

The police are everywhere and fine you on the spot if you are not wearing one .

I think he just was glad to get away from all the media complaints we seem to have over here.

If you're talking about the early days I wouldn't feel safer in Northern Italy because it was almost out of control.The total lockdown contained it and made our area a lot safer.Us driving to Milan is the equivelant of Cummings little jaunt.He would have been shot here for trying,lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I totally agree with you, I used to only post on the Azamara forum has most of our recent cruises have be with them.

You lot have be a  breath of fresh air in a very difficult time, thanks to all of you.

And my thanks to you, Bloodaxe. You didn't realise it at the time, but you put things into perspective for me on a bad day a few weeks ago with a post about your late son, and then again with your grandson's problems.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm not advocating that approach, Kalos - just mentioning it as one of the options increasingly being pushed by some MPs.

I'd be directly affected, and very adversely, but I can also see the other viewpoint, which is that if the economy crashes completely everyone suffers - including the old and the clinically vulnerable.  I'm waiting for surgery at the moment (the fourth in three years) and I'm pretty keen to get it done before Covid really kicks off, if it's not too late already.  I want the NHS to survive, and I don't want to see it swamped, as it has been.  If it's swamped again, as it was earlier, huge numbers of people are going to miss vital tests and equally vital surgery.

There is no right answer, but keeping the NHS functioning must surely be one of the highest priorities, and it certainly isn't functioning properly at hospital level at present. Not the fault of the staff in any way, or the managers - both are doing their level best. But it is the fault of the politicians for their constant meddling and interference, and constant underfunding, even though this pandemic has been predicted for years.

Please don't think I having a go at you Harry ,far from it .:classic_smile:

I know that you need some serious Ops doing and have sheltered through the pandemic

and I hope you get the treatment you need .

I myself suffered heart failure almost a year ago ,last scan I had was last November to see

what treatment would be next .Up to yet apart from my book full of meds I myself have been 

in Isolation shielding from the world & family ,so I'm there with you Harry :classic_smile:

Your post read others would like us to stay locked away until this is sorted ,whilst they just 

please themselves ,for how long ? :classic_unsure:

No easy answers Harry we have to keep the wheels of industry turning to pay for the NHS

we all know that .

The sooner they get that rapid/accurate testing on the scene the better for all of us .

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

ASDA are hiring a 1000 “safety Marshall’s”, basically mask police for their shops. Those with no mask will be given a pack of disposables which will be added to their bill.

I hope they train them to respect exceptions as well as press those who are ignoring the laws.

Now there’s a job I wouldn’t like, I hope they don’t get too much abuse from the public.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Absolutely agree with you on Tristan. The only disappointment in the casting.  Seems to come across as too arrogant, and lacking Davison’s natural charm, but to be fair to the actor, maybe that’s the way he’s been asked to play it.

I think that Callum Woodhouse is a more believable vet than Peter Davison who seemed far too childish with his portrayal of Tristan. 

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I too wish everyone an easier time soon.   I send best wishes for birthdays and anniversaries.  In a nutshell best wishes and thoughts to all. xx   This part of the forum has certainly excelled itself hasn't it.   Its a haven.

We doing a second viewing for a bungalow today.  I loved it....but wonder if we are too "senior" for all the kerfuffle of moving! 🤥☺️

We moved into a bungalow when still in our fifties (thought we might be too young ha ha) and I love it especially at one point when I was ill, great not having stairs 🙂

• Like 2

Whilst I was doing my last post on here, life carried on in the big world outside .

There was a gentle tap on our door ,Mrs Kalos went to our window and shouted 

"Thank you" To the delivery guy stood in the rain ,bringing a load of tablets from the 

chemist to see us through until next month .

A while later she told me that as it was coming up to a year, the chemist and the driver

had kept us stocked with medication ,always on time & reliable.

Seeing we have not seen the staff in over a year she has sent them a card via the 

internet .A pretty little card with tablets and medicine bottles with thank you wrote on it .

With a little message from us two inside the card.

It made me feel good knowing what Mrs K has done and I hope it has the same effect on 

the chemist staff.

1452980249_betterday.jpg.c6a6bd3be4c7db9e80c6b5bf68518ac7.jpg:classic_smile::classic_smile:

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that Callum Woodhouse is a more believable vet than Peter Davison who seemed far too childish with his portrayal of Tristan. 

Have you read the books though John? That’s exactly how I imagined him (the Peter Davidson one!)

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

We are fortunate to have come together as a caring, considerate group who support and help each other. 

I didn't post for sympathy, but just because I needed to unload a bit as need to be strong today for Michelle and knew you lovely people wouldn't mind. 

Genuinely, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all for the kind words and support, you really are the best. 

Andy xx

Nobody posts for sympathy Andy, but for the relief of sharing and the  comfort of support. A trouble shared is a trouble halved.  You have been there for many of us, now it's our turn to be there for you and Michelle.x  I hope you both had a pleasant day under the circumstances.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
oops
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Whilst I was doing my last post on here, life carried on in the big world outside .

"Thank you" To the delivery guy stood in the rain ,bringing a load of tablets from the 

A while later she told me that as it was coming up to a year, the chemist and the driver

Seeing we have not seen the staff in over a year she has sent them a card via the 

internet .A pretty little card with tablets and medicine bottles with thank you wrote on it .

It made me feel good knowing what Mrs K has done and I hope it has the same effect on 

the chemist staff.

1452980249_betterday.jpg.c6a6bd3be4c7db9e80c6b5bf68518ac7.jpg:classic_smile::classic_smile:

That was nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

the chemist staff.

How lovely , I’m sure they will appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Today we had a quick visit to Scotney Castle before the rain came down! In typical British style we sat outside under a parasol eating our toasted sandwich!!

No blue sky but it still looks stunning 

FBFB0B74-F23D-43AA-9489-13054F247916.jpeg

9B0C816C-C7C4-48D0-8DE7-1EFB26F1D677.jpeg

Very happy memories of Scotney Castle Gardens - and all the NT properties in and around Kent/Surrey/Sussex.  Loved Chartwell too, Sissinghurst,  Bateman's, Sheffield Park Gardens - an almost endless list.

Sadly, we're not as well served where we are now, but back then there was somewhere to go every weekend, and all included in the membership.

• Like 5