P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Yes, mine rolled up yesterday. I shall spend it on riotous living.

Still no sign of my winter wine (oops, sorry, fuel) allowance.🙂

My husband got his £10 the other day. I remember when my parents first got their £10 back in the 80’s. It’s weird that it’s still the same amount nearly 40 years later.

my husband hasn’t got his winter fuel allowance yet. He normally gets it around 20th November, so it’s quite late this year. He’s had his letter, so I expect it’ll turn up sooner or later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My husband got his £10 the other day. I remember when my parents first got their £10 back in the 80’s. It’s weird that it’s still the same amount nearly 40 years later.

my husband hasn’t got his winter fuel allowance yet. He normally gets it around 20th November, so it’s quite late this year. He’s had his letter, so I expect it’ll turn up sooner or later. 

At the risk of upsetting everyone, the £10 really needs to become history. Or perhaps it could be targeted towards pensioners just on the basic pension rather than all of us; it's a not unreasonable assumption that those of us on a cruise forum are hardly in need of state subsidies.

Ditto the winter fuel allowance - many of our generation have done pretty well from pensions and property and are not exactly in fuel poverty. Perhaps aim it at poorer pensioners?

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

At the risk of upsetting everyone, the £10 really needs to become history. Or perhaps it could be targeted towards pensioners just on the basic pension rather than all of us; it's a not unreasonable assumption that those of us on a cruise forum are hardly in need of state subsidies.

Ditto the winter fuel allowance - many of our generation have done pretty well from pensions and property and are not exactly in fuel poverty. Perhaps aim it at poorer pensioners?

I agree that I don't need the £10 or £200 and because I actually feel guilty for taking it I simply donate to our local hospice which is always in need of donations however small and during the pandemic they have had a hard time because whenever non-essential shops have closed they have not been getting any income from their charity shops.  I would encourage anyone to donate their £210 to charity if they don't need it. 

I don't think that you should assume that everyone on cruises is in the same position that we are.  We have met people on cruises who have saved for years to be able to realise their dream of going on a cruise and have told us that they will never be able to go on another because they cannot afford to put money away every month to go on a cruise.

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had my £10 on Monday and my fuel allowance arrived this morning along with my state pension.

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't think that you should assume that everyone on cruises is in the same position that we are.  We have met people on cruises who have saved for years to be able to realise their dream of going on a cruise and have told us that they will never be able to go on another because they cannot afford to put money away every month to go on a cruise.

An excellent point, thank you Josy. Over the years we've met a range of people from a retired Nottingham lacemaker and a Maxwell pensioner to a High Court Judge. However, most on here at the moment are regular cruisers, probably not in need of money that could benefit a more worthwhile cause. 

Having said that, I shall now put in my complaint about the tardy winter wine allowance.😊

• Like 7

Cheer up mate ,it's not been easy what with the heart/covid and eye problem but 

you have got through them with your wonderful Mrs Pauline's help & support and 

she will be there for your eye op when it comes .

When we look back a year or so the world seemed great ,eat out /cruises and holidays .

Good news is the light is at the end of the tunnel , it's going to take a while but good times 

are coming . Keep them smiles alive mate :classic_smile:

PS if this does not work then go to this post   ...  #10196 :classic_wink:

Which is .... 

giphy.gif.58b3c7ed95f4db5343b268c6193687e2.gif.e8b151f4a4ece4011dc29fe697f48a33.gif

Edited by kalos

5 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Erm what’s the £10 for

Christmas Bonus - brought in around 1972, never uprated, today's value around £130.  Paid to all pensioners and those on some other benefits.

Buys virtually nothing now, would be better uprated and paid only to those who need it, but nobody so far dare drop it because of the political backlash.

8 hours ago, kalos said:

I will :classic_smile:

but only if we can wear these special suits :classic_unsure:     

giphy.gif.58b3c7ed95f4db5343b268c6193687e2.gif

Flippin' 'eck kalos you're gonna' need longer legs than that, and bigger boots🤣

Avril

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

my husband hasn’t got his winter fuel allowance yet. He normally gets it around 20th November, so it’s quite late this year. He’s had his letter, so I expect it’ll turn up sooner or later

Ours  usually arrives mid November as well, and was in the bank this morning with the extra £20. So shouldn't be long now.

Avril

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

First of all Annie, I am not offended, and if they stopped the fuel allowance it wouldn't cause me a problem. However, I do use the money towards my fuel. We have solid fuel central heating and when the allowance goes in I use it to top up the fuel store. So it is used for it's intended purpose.

Avril

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

There has always been an argument that if benefits are all means tested then it is actually much easier to make “ means tested” a Cinderella service. 

If those who pay all the tax see nothing in return and indeed see those who have paid in nothing at all get the same there will always be a backlash and governments know that. There is a distinction between can’t and won’t.

Some people can’t work and contribute which if it is a result of for example disability then most people would be fine with that. I’m sure however we all know the “wonts”.

Part of the reason this country has an issue with pensions is because for years those on modest incomes who saved a bit for a small pension ended up with the same or in some case much less than someone who did nothing and saved nothing. The “gateway” benefits for those with no pension opened up a raft of additional allowances which were not available to someone with just a very small pension who had worked all their life.

That’s why benefits like the £10 allowance are still universal. As others have said if it is not required then it can be donated to a charity, I suspect many people do that.

• Like 5

My daily walk this morning took me via the post office where I posted my old red passport as I have applied online for a new one.  I wait with bated breath to see whether I get a red one or blue one back

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My daily walk this morning took me via the post office where I posted my old red passport as I have applied online for a new one.  I wait with bated breath to see whether I get a red one or blue one back

Ours was blue and we renewed them in September.

Avril

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Ours was blue and we renewed them in September.

Avril

My hubby and I applied to renew our passports on the same day (within half an hour of each other)They ended up going to different passport offices and I received a blue one , my hubby received a red one!! 

Just now, ann141 said:

My hubby and I applied to renew our passports on the same day (within half an hour of each other)They ended up going to different passport offices and I received a blue one , my hubby received a red one!! 

Ours went to different offices too, one went to Scotland!! but we both got blue passports. Now we just want to be able to use them.🙂

Avril

• Like 5

I just saw on the Midlands news that someone has come up with the idea of oatcake flavoured tea. Like all good Stokies I like the occasional oatcake but I really don't want tea flavoured with them. My sister bought some oatcake flavoured gin and it was the worst thing I have ever tasted real bush tucker trial.

31 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just saw on the Midlands news that someone has come up with the idea of oatcake flavoured tea. Like all good Stokies I like the occasional oatcake but I really don't want tea flavoured with them. My sister bought some oatcake flavoured gin and it was the worst thing I have ever tasted real bush tucker trial.

OMG,don't start an oatcake debate again,lol.We have some lovely blue cheeses in the UK, my favourite is Blacksticks blue among many.

• Like 1

500_F_125614652_gawESCxEvjUmIP3uZ7TX62Km0Il5eg7B.jpg.d4c7d01ba5cea9c0bc40863e3426e08e.jpg

Eleven days ago I thought it's time to splash out on a couple of packs of 

rechargeable  batteries but this time with a better amp hour to my old ones.

They will hopefully last longer in the Christmas decorations  that we have 

that use them . They are Coming by tracked Royal Mail who have had them

since the  5th of December . A short while ago I received a text message 

from them advising " They are that busy expect them a week today "

We are fine with that as with covid and Christmas combined ,we can imagine 

what a strain is being put upon the delivery service .

Just now a Royal Mail delivery van pulls up out side with a small parcel for us .

It was at this point my Mrs chimes up "Oh that will be for me "

Turns out she saw a nice set of battery lights she fancied putting up for Christmas .

So her light took 3 1/2 days . So looks like delivery dates can be pot luck . :classic_unsure:

Just wondering as well .. How's the lady' s Christmas cakes coming on ?

Are we still feeding them brandy ? 

Or are we now into the last stage where you feed the brandy to yourselves :classic_smile:

• Like 2