P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I am desperate to comment but will hold back ...

That really is pretty poor. I also think it is an insult to all those working in schools to not give them priority when vaccines are given. The risks they take every day are far more than most people would be prepared to take. Their families must dread the prospect of receiving bad news every day they spend in work.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

For those mentioning schools - not to start a discussion but to show what schools are being asked to do once the schools 'break up' for Christmas. Basically to stay on call for the first 6 days to support track and trace. This, for  most schools will take you to 4pm on Christmas Eve. The wording from the DFE as follows - I make no comment.

We recognise the challenges of this responsibility at the end of term. Public Health England has agreed a 6 day window after the final day of teaching in which schools and further education providers are asked to remain contactable so they can assist with contact tracing where necessary. This will allow enough time for positive coronavirus (COVID-19) cases to be identified and confirmed by a test and for relevant contacts in the education setting to be traced. We are clear that beyond 6 days after the final day of teaching, school and further education staff are not asked to play a role in any contact tracing. It is also likely that the need to support the tracing process will reduce dramatically over the course of the 6 days as the majority of cases should be identified earlier in the week.

Sorry - can't refrain from discussing, and commenting.  That's appalling, and, I assume unenforceable and therefore wholly voluntary.  What are the teaching unions saying?

Presumably the advice will be to disregard it and pay particular heed to the use of the word 'asked'?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry - can't refrain from discussing, and commenting.  That's appalling, and, I assume unenforceable and therefore wholly voluntary.  What are the teaching unions saying?

Presumably the advice will be to disregard it and pay particular heed to the use of the word 'asked'?

Schools can also close a day early to work for home as inset - but then pay it back at start of January or another day in the year. No comment .. sitting on hands .......

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yep, Hull is now officially North East London and if you were born in Ipswich you are definitely a Cockney Geezer... 

Andy 

Nah,that makes you a gooner or the other lot.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 1

I must say knowing people round here, the ones I know who have had Covid (luckily very mildly ) all seem to have school age children in their houses.

I would think of letting the schools break up early so they can isolate before they all go mad at Christmas and start spreading it.

At work many appointments are getting cancelled not because people are ill but because their children are home from school!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I must say knowing people round here, the ones I know who have had Covid (luckily very mildly ) all seem to have school age children in their houses.

I would think of letting the schools break up early so they can isolate before they all go mad at Christmas and start spreading it.

At work many appointments are getting cancelled not because people are ill but because their children are home from school!

That would be a very good idea and might protect older family members during the Xmas Free For All.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

And quite honestly, from my experience, the amount of learning going on in many schools the week before they break up for Christmas is much reduced. Maybe this year it will be different although if not, they may as well be closed to have a potentially beneficial health affect on us all. 

• Like 4

It's a lot milder here this morning and the sun is trying to peep through the light cloud, we have a covid vaccine beginning it's rounds, the family is happy and well, Christmas is just around the corner and I'm all prepared. So why am I so fed up that I can't dredge up the slightest interest in writng the cards or wrapping the presents?? Is it only me that's finding it more and more difficult to put on a happy face? I wonder which of my CC friends has the biggest boot to kick me up the backside with🥾. I certainly need it today.

Avril

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's a lot milder here this morning and the sun is trying to peep through the light cloud, we have a covid vaccine beginning it's rounds, the family is happy and well, Christmas is just around the corner and I'm all prepared. So why am I so fed up that I can't dredge up the slightest interest in writng the cards or wrapping the presents?? Is it only me that's finding it more and more difficult to put on a happy face? I wonder which of my CC friends has the biggest boot to kick me up the backside with🥾. I certainly need it today.

Avril

Cheer up sis,my inane drivle will keep you going,bro.

• Thanks 1

Cheer up Avril - it’s the 9th December.  Sunset will not be earlier than it is today for a whole year ... and who knows what will be going on then?  Maybe we’ll all be on a boozy, glitzy Christmas Market cruise!

I know you haven’t got a cat but I hope you can enjoy the humour here.  Cat owners/slaves will roll their eyes and go Yeah, been there

How to wrap a present with the help of a cat

1. Clear large space on table for wrapping present. 

2. Go to closet and collect bag in which present is contained, and shut door. 

3. Open door and remove cat from closet. 

4. Go to cupboard and retrieve rolls of wrapping paper. 

5. Go back and remove cat from cupboard. 

6. Go to drawer, and collect transparent sticky tape, ribbons, scissors, labels, etc. . . 

7. Lay out presents and wrapping materials on table, to enable wrapping strategy to be formed. 

8. Go back to drawer to get string, remove cat that has been in the drawer since last visit and collect string. 

9. Remove present from bag. 

10. Remove cat from bag. 

11. Open box to check present, remove cat from box, replace present. 

12. Lay out paper to enable cutting to size. 

13. Try and smooth out paper, realize cat is underneath and remove cat. 

14. Cut the paper to size, keeping the cutting line straight. 

15. Throw away first sheet as cat chased the scissors, and tore the paper.

16. Cut second sheet of paper to size - by putting cat in the bag the present came in. 

17. Place present on paper. 

18. Lift up edges of paper to seal in present. Wonder why edges don't reach. Realize cat is between present and paper. Remove cat. 

19. Place object on paper, to hold in place while tearing transparent sticky tape. 

20. Spend 20 minutes carefully trying to remove transparent sticky tape from cat with pair of nail scissors. 

21. Seal paper with sticky tape, making corners as neat as possible. 

22. Look for roll of ribbon. Chase cat down hall in order to retrieve ribbon. 

23. Try to wrap present with ribbon in a two-directional turn. 

24. Re-roll ribbon and remove paper, which is now torn due to cat's enthusiastic ribbon chase. 

25. Repeat steps 13-20 until you reach last sheet of paper. 

26. Decide to skip steps 13-17 in order to save time and reduce risk of losing last sheet of paper. Retrieve old cardboard box that is the right size for sheet of paper. 

27. Put present in box, and tie down with string. 

28. Remove string, open box and remove cat. 

29. Put all packing materials in bag with present and head for locked room. 

30. Once inside lockable room, lock door and start to relay out paper and materials. 

31. Remove cat from box, unlock door, put cat outside door, close and relock. 

32. Repeat previous step as often as is necessary (until you can hear cat from outside door) 

33. Lay out last sheet of paper. (This will be difficult in the small area of the toilet, but do your best) 

34. Discover cat has already torn paper. Unlock door go out and hunt through various cupboards, looking for sheet of last year's paper. Remember that you haven't got any left because cat helped with this last year as well. 

35. Return to lockable room, lock door, and sit on toilet and try to make torn sheet of paper look presentable. 

36. Seal box, wrap with paper and repair by very carefully sealing with sticky tape. Tie up with ribbon and decorate with bows to hide worst areas. 

37. Label. Sit back and admire your handiwork, congratulate yourself on completing a difficult job. 

38. Unlock door, and go to kitchen to make drink and feed cat. 

39. Spend 15 minutes looking for cat until coming to obvious conclusion. 

40. Unwrap present, untie box and remove cat. 

41. Go to store and buy a gift bag

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I know somebody who would sing you a happy song, but I can't mention his name. You use less muscles smiling than you do frowning so less wrinkles. I read that in a report from a Peruvian professor. There is a link on paddington.com. .Brian does talk drive doesn't he. 🤣

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheer up sis,my inane drivle will keep you going,bro.

I know there are a lot of people much worse off than I am at the moment bro, and it makes me feel so ashamed of myself. I just need to hide in the shed for a while and regroup. Hmm, now then, where did I put that bottle🤔

Sis

• Like 1

Just now, Adawn47 said:

I know there are a lot of people much worse off than I am at the moment bro, and it makes me feel so ashamed of myself. I just need to hide in the shed for a while and regroup. Hmm, now then, where did I put that bottle🤔

Sis

Somewhere in the world is this person. Nobody anywhere in the world is worse off than them. They are absolute rock bottom, bottom of the heap. What would you say to cheer them up. Don't worry, some people are wor............woops, no they're not.

15 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Cheer up Avril - it’s the 9th December.  Sunset will not be earlier than it is today for a whole year ... and who knows what will be going on then?  Maybe we’ll all be on a boozy, glitzy Christmas Market cruise!

I know you haven’t got a cat but I hope you can enjoy the humour here.  Cat owners/slaves will roll their eyes and go Yeah, been there

4. Go to cupboard and retrieve rolls of wrapping paper. 

5. Go back and remove cat from cupboard. 

6. Go to drawer, and collect transparent sticky tape, ribbons, scissors, labels, etc. . . 

7. Lay out presents and wrapping materials on table, to enable wrapping strategy to be formed. 

8. Go back to drawer to get string, remove cat that has been in the drawer since last visit and collect string. 

9. Remove present from bag. 

10. Remove cat from bag. 

11. Open box to check present, remove cat from box, replace present. 

12. Lay out paper to enable cutting to size. 

13. Try and smooth out paper, realize cat is underneath and remove cat. 

14. Cut the paper to size, keeping the cutting line straight. 

15. Throw away first sheet as cat chased the scissors, and tore the paper.

16. Cut second sheet of paper to size - by putting cat in the bag the present came in. 

17. Place present on paper. 

18. Lift up edges of paper to seal in present. Wonder why edges don't reach. Realize cat is between present and paper. Remove cat. 

19. Place object on paper, to hold in place while tearing transparent sticky tape. 

20. Spend 20 minutes carefully trying to remove transparent sticky tape from cat with pair of nail scissors. 

21. Seal paper with sticky tape, making corners as neat as possible. 

22. Look for roll of ribbon. Chase cat down hall in order to retrieve ribbon. 

23. Try to wrap present with ribbon in a two-directional turn. 

24. Re-roll ribbon and remove paper, which is now torn due to cat's enthusiastic ribbon chase. 

25. Repeat steps 13-20 until you reach last sheet of paper. 

26. Decide to skip steps 13-17 in order to save time and reduce risk of losing last sheet of paper. Retrieve old cardboard box that is the right size for sheet of paper. 

27. Put present in box, and tie down with string. 

28. Remove string, open box and remove cat. 

29. Put all packing materials in bag with present and head for locked room. 

30. Once inside lockable room, lock door and start to relay out paper and materials. 

31. Remove cat from box, unlock door, put cat outside door, close and relock. 

32. Repeat previous step as often as is necessary (until you can hear cat from outside door) 

33. Lay out last sheet of paper. (This will be difficult in the small area of the toilet, but do your best) 

34. Discover cat has already torn paper. Unlock door go out and hunt through various cupboards, looking for sheet of last year's paper. Remember that you haven't got any left because cat helped with this last year as well. 

35. Return to lockable room, lock door, and sit on toilet and try to make torn sheet of paper look presentable. 

36. Seal box, wrap with paper and repair by very carefully sealing with sticky tape. Tie up with ribbon and decorate with bows to hide worst areas. 

37. Label. Sit back and admire your handiwork, congratulate yourself on completing a difficult job. 

38. Unlock door, and go to kitchen to make drink and feed cat. 

39. Spend 15 minutes looking for cat until coming to obvious conclusion. 

40. Unwrap present, untie box and remove cat. 

41. Go to store and buy a gift bag

That's hilarious🤣🤣🤣🤣. I'm crying with laughter. 

Avril

29 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I know somebody who would sing you a happy song, but I can't mention his name. You use less muscles smiling than you do frowning so less wrinkles. I read that in a report from a Peruvian professor. There is a link on paddington.com. .Brian does talk drive doesn't he. 🤣

Oi,that was a private convo.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Hey, I don't have wrinkles!!! I am blessed with good genes and a fat face. NO!!! not a fat face, I mean't 'natural collagen'😊 Bro can talk drivel at times, but can't we all. The thing is we understand it, so what does thet say about about our mentality!🤣

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

4. Give cat a cucumber 
  5. wrap prezzies sorted :classic_smile: 

Our Granddaughter has a house cat  called Lunar ,more like Luna -tic :classic_unsure:

She bought a lovely 9ft Christmas tree for her home and up to yet the 

cat has had it over 3 or 4 times  , much to her annoyance.

Granddaughter has asked for my advice and I have told her to scatter some 

cucumbers around the base of the tree but I got shot down in flames due to this could

upset poor little Lunar .Sometimes you just can't win with with Grandkids.:classic_wink:

Try this method ... PS No cucumbers get hurt 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I wonder which of my CC friends has the biggest boot to kick me up the backside with🥾.

I certainly need it today.

Avril

I will :classic_smile:

but only if we can wear these special suits :classic_unsure:     

giphy.gif.58b3c7ed95f4db5343b268c6193687e2.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just checked my bank account. £10 has just arrived in it. the xmas bonus 🤑🍷

what are you spending yours on

Yes, mine rolled up yesterday. I shall spend it on riotous living.

Still no sign of my winter wine (oops, sorry, fuel) allowance.🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just checked my bank account. £10 has just arrived in it. the xmas bonus 🤑🍷

what are you spending yours on

I haven't been told yet. First time I got the £200 I was at the doctor's. Oh I see you will get your winter fuel allowance this year, what are you going to spend it in. Lift passes Doctor!. That is NOT the idea.

6 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

We were out today and fancied a nice meal in a restaurant or pub but of course being in Tier 3 means none of these places are open to eat a nice meal.

We cannot stay in a hotel or go on a cruise.

Life as we knew it seems a long way away and it is hard to keep a smile on our faces.

Take care Avril.

Graham.

• Like 2