P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

There was something on the website about ‘accessibility’ and I did notice it said buggies aren’t allowed in the formal gardens. I choose it because it’s fairly flat for my mum.

Oh dear re the sleepover 😞 I was talking to a work colleague the other day about her first sleepover with her grandson who’s a bit younger than mine - she said by 4am her and the little one fell asleep on the settee where she’d taken him to not disturb her husband! 

I did think about taking him downstairs but thought if I did it once he might remember next time. He usually naps in our bedroom during the day but we moved the travel cot to the room next door which is my husbands home office at the moment, he’s learnt the word map (hubbie is a map lover and has several on the wall in there) and by 4:30  once he’d stopped crying he was proudly saying map and oh dear which is his favourite this week, we were exhausted but grandad was still proud that ‘map’ was being called out 🥴

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I did think about taking him downstairs but thought if I did it once he might remember next time. He usually naps in our bedroom during the day but we moved the travel cot to the room next door which is my husbands home office at the moment, he’s learnt the word map (hubbie is a map lover and has several on the wall in there) and by 4:30  once he’d stopped crying he was proudly saying map and oh dear which is his favourite this week, we were exhausted but grandad was still proud that ‘map’ was being called out 🥴

Bless him.

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Neither did I. My drawing of state pension age changing from 60 to 66.5 still irks me as does the change in NI where I had paid full contributions and then found I was several years short. 

I'm thinking you might be in a similar situation to me, where you were in a final salary pension scheme, and therefore were 'contracted out'  of SERPS (State Earnings Related Pension Scheme)

This meant that we paid a lower National Insurance Contribution as the workplace pension scheme undertook to pay the SERPS element of our pension.

As we paid a lower NIC, it means our State Pension is lower than someone who didn't have our excellent work pension scheme.

However, the good news is that, for every year we pay NI after 2016, we increase our state pension up to the amount of the full New State Pension, currently £179.60 pw

I was contracted out of SERPS for most of my working life, as I worked in banking and therefore had final salary pension schemes. I stopped working at the end of 2014, so haven't paid NI through employment since then. Since 2016 I've paid voluntary NIC each year to boost my state pension. I now need to pay voluntary NIC for the years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022, and I will reach the full NSP amount. 

If you are not working, it may be something you could consider, and payments can be backdated. 

If you haven't already done so, it's worth getting a state pension forecast, so you know exactly where you stand 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm thinking you might be in a similar situation to me, where you were in a final salary pension scheme, and therefore were 'contracted out'  of SERPS (State Earnings Related Pension Scheme)

This meant that we paid a lower National Insurance Contribution as the workplace pension scheme undertook to pay the SERPS element of our pension.

As we paid a lower NIC, it means our State Pension is lower than someone who didn't have our excellent work pension scheme.

However, the good news is that, for every year we pay NI after 2016, we increase our state pension up to the amount of the full New State Pension, currently £179.60 pw

I was contracted out of SERPS for most of my working life, as I worked in banking and therefore had final salary pension schemes. I stopped working at the end of 2014, so haven't paid NI through employment since then. Since 2016 I've paid voluntary NIC each year to boost my state pension. I now need to pay voluntary NIC for the years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022, and I will reach the full NSP amount. 

If you are not working, it may be something you could consider, and payments can be backdated. 

If you haven't already done so, it's worth getting a state pension forecast, so you know exactly where you stand 

Thank you. I shall look into it again. I was in almost exactly the same position as you and most definitely not working now! ( I worked for oil company ). ....x

Edited by Angel57
Missed a word!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh don’t know if I fancy a boot fair at the moment!

Research from Ireland, quoted in the MoS today, indicated that only 0.1% CV19 cases were caused by transmission in the open, so you'll probably be pretty safe.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Research from Ireland, quoted in the MoS today, indicated that only 0.1% CV19 cases were caused by transmission in the open, so you'll probably be pretty safe.

It’s the thought of rooting around in people’s old stuff! Yes I think I’m a snob 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

It’s the thought of rooting around in people’s old stuff! Yes I think I’m a snob 😂

I'm totally with you on that, pandemic or not !

On the very few occasions I've been to a boot sale I'm amazed that some people try to sell stuff that should be put straight in a skip  

• Like 2

Never fancied a car boot sale, charity shops are another thing though. It depends on the location, I got a designer shirt, new, which retailed at £69 for £8, in Saffron Walden, Essex. My wife got a Radley bag, as new condition for £5 in another. 

• Like 5

On 4/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, pete14 said:

Hi Presto. We got here at around 12:45 after some slow traffic. Everything is as we expected which is good and Charlie has already discovered a nice walk and also got his front paws wet. Nice ice cream from the tricycle ice cream seller. If you see us passing, shout hello. 

Hope you had a good first day / evening at your new 'Happy Place' 🙂

We are now home, ready for work tomorrow. 😞

This may sound stupid, but have you got a clearer photo of Charlie? As you will have noticed, the place is Doggy Heaven and there are dogs everywhere. Rather than me be arrested - or getting a bad reputation - for shouting "CHARLIE, OHHH CHARLIE" every time I see a dog that looks a little like the photo above walk past us a photo to show if he is a large fluffy dog or a small one would be gratefully received.

Sorry, bad grammar and it rambles, but you know what I mean.

Say hello to Wales for us and hopefully we ca say hello face to face next weekend 🙂

😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was in the same situation as you. I was contracted out all my working life (Civil Service) and retired when I was 57 in 2012. Although I had enough years of NI contributions to qualify for the full basic state pension under the old rules I was able to increase my pension under the new rules by paying voluntary NI. I paid a further 4 years contributions which cost about £2800, but it increased my weekly pension, when I finally qualified for it at just short of my 66th birthday, by over £20 a week. In my view well worth it! Anyone who thinks they maybe affected due to retiring early should certainly apply for a pension forecast to check any shortfalls.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Never fancied a car boot sale, charity shops are another thing though. It depends on the location, I got a designer shirt, new, which retailed at £69 for £8, in Saffron Walden, Essex. My wife got a Radley bag, as new condition for £5 in another. 

I rarely go to car boot sales but love a bargain in a charity shop.I grew up in Saffron Walden which now is a lot more upmarket than when I lived there! I have had really good buys from other 'upmarket' towns e.g Wilmslow (bought a cruise dress in one) Stratford on Avon , Bakewell etc.I'm going to visit my Mum next week and she lives in Formby where a few footballers live.I have had a few bargains from charity shops there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm thinking you might be in a similar situation to me, where you were in a final salary pension scheme, and therefore were 'contracted out'  of SERPS (State Earnings Related Pension Scheme

Stupid question but where do you get the forecast from ?

11 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Stupid question but where do you get the forecast from ?

It comes from DWP via www.gov.uk. If you google pension forecast it should come up as an option. Alternatively if you are already registered on the HMRC website with a Government gateway access you can view it directly.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SeaJane said:

It comes from DWP via www.gov.uk. If you google pension forecast it should come up as an option. Alternatively if you are already registered on the HMRC website with a Government gateway access you can view it directly.

Just told hubby and his answer was . "Yes, you can". Bless -- he does listen to what I am talking about really. 🙂

Many thanks - off to look. Just curious and at the age where I want to look at all possibilities moving forward. 

Spending a week in our caravan hasn't helped as we both want to emigrate to Wales NOW!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Here's the link 

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

If you are not already registered on the Government Gateway, you'll need to register, but once you've done that it's straightforward to check your entitlement 

I love the way I can see how much NI I paid in the 80’s! Fascinating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Enjoy Sissinghurst Sue, we talked about going there next Wednesday or Thursday but we'll have a pushchair and not sure how easy that would be.

We had our grandson for his first sleepover last night, it wasn't terrible but wasn't a great success either. I had to apologise to the neighbours for the crying between 3 & 4 am, and that was just me lol

Avril, if you see this, how did you get on with your garden swing seat? I tried sitting right back in mine this morning but if I do that I can't reach the floor to swing it 😂

The swing is lovely Sarah, we've used it a couple of times now. The easiest way for a short legged person to make it swing is to sit next to a long legged husband😁I've also found that if you swing your legs backwards and forwards it will gradually move the swing.

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The swing is lovely Sarah, we've used it a couple of times now. The easiest way for a short legged person to make it swing is to sit next to a long legged husband😁I've also found that if you swing your legs backwards and forwards it will gradually move the swing.

Avril

Pauline likes our garden swing.

Her late mam loved being at ours and sitting on our garden swing with Pauline.

I prefer a sunbed or chair.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

Just had a check and they have me down as not paying anything for a whole year that I know I was working flat out so am chasing that up as I thought I had sorted it.

Very helpful everyone, thank you. 🙂

• Like 4