Harmony and Oasis crew members returning home

I read on a couple of Facebook sites as well as a YouTube vloger that a first round of crew members are being sent home from the Oasis and the Harmony.  It surprised the vloger as he had time left on his contract and felt safe on the well sanitized ship with no one sick.  Don’t know about the others.  SAD TO READ THIS!!!

Edited by Love Cruises

22 minutes ago, Love Cruises said:

I read on a couple of Facebook sites as well as a YouTube vloger that a first round of crew members are being sent home from the Oasis and the Harmony.  It surprised the vloger as he had time left on his contract and felt safe on the well sanitized ship with no one sick.  Don’t know about the others.  SAD TO READ THIS!!!

Chris had a 7 month contract that started the beginning of September.  His contract was up within a couple weeks. 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Chris had a 7 month contract that started the beginning of September.  His contract was up within a couple weeks. 

yup, thats what i thought.

crew with contracts expiring soon are being sent home now, probably to save $.

dont know how soon is soon. probably at least any contract that expires within this 30day ban period.

hm.. only for the Oasis and Harmony? wonder why only those 2 ships?

where are they stationed right now? maybe good airport at those locations?

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

hm.. only for the Oasis and Harmony? wonder why only those 2 ships?

where are they stationed right now? maybe good airport at those locations?

Harmony is arriving in Port Canaveral soon - I assume to offload some crew and take on fresh provisions before returning to anchorage west of Coco Cay. Other ships are likely to do the same.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Harmony is arriving in Port Canaveral soon - I assume to offload some crew and take on fresh provisions before returning to anchorage west of Coco Cay. Other ships are likely to do the same.

why port canaveral?

wont port miami be a few hundred miles  closer?

just have royal move one of their ships out in miami and let harmony dock for a few hrs?

Edited by fstuff1

16 minutes ago, jknc said:

If international crew are being sent home, I assume they can’t come back to US under current travel restrictions?

Not until the travel ban is lifted but these are crew members that contracts are expiring so they would be off at least  30 days anyway.  If the ships don’t sail for at least another month I doubt the new contract would start until the travel ban is lift d anyway.

• Like 1

why port canaveral?
just have royal move one of their ships out in miami and let harmony dock for a few hrs?

Probably because they really have no where else to be. Maybe because Royal chartered flights out of MLB or MCO. I doubt there are very many commercial flights going overseas.

Aft Cabins Rule

2 hours ago, later said:

Not until the travel ban is lifted but these are crew members that contracts are expiring so they would be off at least  30 days anyway.  If the ships don’t sail for at least another month I doubt the new contract would start until the travel ban is lift d anyway.

RCL is taking these measures since they are expecting that their operations will be halted for significantly longer time. My guess is that this will be extended for at least another month or even longer and maybe as of June things will start to go back to normal.

• Like 1

Explorer sent home more crew too, we just picked up our daughter in Miami.  Many more to go home, if flights are available.  If not, they're staying with the ship.  She said it's been a crazy few days.  

• Like 1

Regarding sending home only crew whose contracts are ending - the mother of an Anthem crew member posted on social media that  her daughter has 2 months left on her contract, and some of her friends have 4 months left. They are sending production, youth staff, cruise division staff, sports staff,  most of wait staff and room attendants and bar staff home.

By the way - Anthem is scheduled for an April 12 Transatlantic cruise from Cape Liberty to Southampton. 

Edited by NancyIL

14 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Regarding sending home only crew whose contracts are ending - the mother of an Anthem crew member posted on social media that  her daughter has 2 months left on her contract, and some of her friends have 4 months left. They are sending production, youth staff, cruise division staff, sports staff,  most of wait staff and room attendants and bar staff home.

By the way - Anthem is scheduled for an April 12 Transatlantic cruise from Cape Liberty to Southampton. 

The transatlantic will not happen, at least not with guests and not on that date. The ship is also due for dry dock, when and where is this planed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyIL said:

This. I've mentioned this in a few threads that it's not just crew at the end of their contracts! 

I personally know 2 crew on 2 different ships who do 2 different jobs who have gone home within 3 weeks of their contracts starting....

The crew members are people just like us. I am surprised that such information became available only now. These had to be isolated in a first queue. I hope they are doing alright. In other case, they were literally contacting with other passengers. They were making food and cleaning rooms..well, the last one probably has to do with things

Just watched Chris Wong's vlog and at the beginning he is saying there is a 50-50 chance that he will go back to the UK.  At the end while he is filming the sunset he says this will be "my last sunset onboard." Something obviously happened between the two segments of his recording.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 7:55 AM, fstuff1 said:

why port canaveral?

Port Miami is full up.  Royal only has one ship there and it is kind of double parked with a NCL ship.  Plus they be wanting to make water.

33 minutes ago, gatour said:

Port Miami is full up.  Royal only has one ship there and it is kind of double parked with a NCL ship.  Plus they be wanting to make water.

is there a website that shows where all the ships are docked during this pandemic?

want to see port everglades, which is still 200 miles closer than port orlando

Edited by fstuff1

41 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

is there a website that shows where all the ships are docked during this pandemic?

cruisemapper.com

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

I use marinetracker.com

Not sure why you are so concerned about why they chose Port Canaveral.  All of the reasons are pure speculation.  So far one person  proposed closeness to Orlando Airport which may have more flights to accommodate crew members returning home.  I proposed to make water while saying Miami is full up.  I believe the chief has said they need to be moving at 16 knots to do this.  Going further allows them to make more water.

I find it interesting where the ships have ended up.  Some are docked, some are anchored near Coco Cay including two or three HAL ships.  Most of the NCL ships are docked here in the states (two in Jacksonville).  Why are they docked instead anchored near Coco Cay.  Their private island is just a stones throw from Coco Cay.  Why did they decide this who knows.

Edited by gatour

2 minutes ago, gatour said:

I use marinetracker.com

Not sure why you are so concerned about why they chose Port Canaveral.  All of the reasons are pure speculation.  So far one person  proposed closeness to Orlando Airport which may have more flights to accommodate crew members returning home.  I proposed to make water.  I believe the chief has said they need to be moving at 16 knots to do this.  Going further allows them to make more water.

I find it interesting where the ships have ended up.  Some are docked, some are anchored near Coco Cay including two or three HAL ships.  Most of the NCL ships are docked here in the states (two in Jacksonville).  Why are they docked instead anchored near Coco Cay.  Their private island is just a stones throw from Coco Cay.  Why did they decide this who knows.

I think at one point Royal was letting crew visit Perfect Day.

I keep seeing the Norwegian ships leave anchorage, I'm guessing to make water or dump sewage

Edited by John&LaLa