Jump to content

Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, cccole said:

If it wasn't so painful waiting to see the first passenger in need of medical help put in an ambulance and now doors closing it would be like a Laurel and Hardy comedy.  With the amount of time it took to put the ramp down, hand language, EMTs sitting with arms crossed, I would not have guessed that there was advance notice of this ships arrival.  I get the need to secure the patients, and I do not think it had anything to do with the Captain and crew but this absolutely bogles my mind

 

No comedy, let me assure you.  Before embarking Rotterdam for a VOV in Boston, I had a minor accident that the ship's doctor required me to be transported to a hospital for evaluation before he would allow me to embark.  Lots of "fussing" by shore staff, Boston's excellent EMS crew (even including a hook/ladder truck to come to my "rescue".  Returning from the hospital after having been a "clear to sail" given, more "fussing" by a ship's doctor that demanded more "proof" before I was allowed to board.  

 

What you saw with "EMT's with arms crossed", etc.  SOP,  I think, in such a situation.   

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

 

That concerns me as well.  See the HAL Press Release.  Some will not even go on chartered flights, the majority will but not all.

They’ve been in room isolation for days (weeks) and if not symptomatic, THEY have more to risk stepping into the public sphere in FL. Thankfully, HAL will give them masks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the unified Command for making this happen. 

 

Whether popular or not, the US and FL officials did what they had to do.  They asked the tough questions, despite people flaming them for specific choices of words and totally unrelated nonsense like whether the beaches were open or closed. They have had their hands full with numerous cases in which ships want to offload sick in to South Florida.  The tough questions had to be asked.  Yet despite all this, in the end, Zaandam and Rotterdam were only delayed a short while once reaching the Port Everglades area. 

 

Remember, other countries/ports flat out denied Zaandam without so much as even a discussion.  Furthermore, not one single other country or port came forward and offered their docks to these 2 ships.  Not one! 

 

God Bless the USA, God Bless the Unified Command, God Bless the first responders who are working this, and most of all, God Bless the officers, crew, & passengers, both healthy, sick and lost, of the M/S Zaandam and M/S Rotterdam.  We were with you all the way. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Aquahound
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@Seasick Sailor & @Copper10-8

just a head’s up Deb’s Mom and Jim have been hospitalized. Tested for Covid-19, no results yet. Please include them in your prayers.

Oh my gosh, sending prayers and good vibes for a good outcome for both of them.  Poor Deb; she's been through a lot to help her folks.  Bless her, as well.

 

Gerry

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the unified Command for making this happen. 

 

Whether popular or not, the US and FL officials did what they had to do.  They asked the tough questions, despite people flaming them for specific choices of words and totally unrelated nonsense like whether the beaches were open or closed. They have had their hands full with numerous cases in which ships want to overload sick in to South Florida.  The tough questions had to be asked.  Yet despite all this, in the end, Zaandam and Rotterdam were only delayed a short while once reaching the Port Everglades area. 

 

Remember, other countries/ports flat out denied Zaandam without so much as even a discussion.  Furthermore, not one single other country or port came forward and offered their docks to these 2 ships.  Not one! 

 

God Bless the USA, God Bless the Unified Command, God Bless the first responders who are working this, and most of all, God Bless the officers, crew, & passengers, both healthy, sick and lost, of the M/S Zaandam and M/S Rotterdam.  We were with you all the way. 

 

 

Well said Aquahound ... I agree totally

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

They’ve been in room isolation for days (weeks) and if not symptomatic, THEY have more to risk stepping into the public sphere in FL. Thankfully, HAL will give them masks. 

 

Isolation on a ship does not work; we learned that from the Diamond Princess with over 700 infected.  It is better than no isolation at all but not like a shore "quarantine in place".

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:


Thank you, I though I had included him, but failed to do it correctly. I have now edited my post. Thank you. Stay well.

I'm sorry to hear about them, so much awful stuff going on!   just reacted, mentioning Copper.  Deb may have emailed him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

No comedy, let me assure you.  Before embarking Rotterdam for a VOV in Boston, I had a minor accident that the ship's doctor required me to be transported to a hospital for evaluation before he would allow me to embark.  Lots of "fussing" by shore staff, Boston's excellent EMS crew (even including a hook/ladder truck to come to my "rescue".  Returning from the hospital after having been a "clear to sail" given, more "fussing" by a ship's doctor that demanded more "proof" before I was allowed to board.  

 

What you saw with "EMT's with arms crossed", etc.  SOP,  I think, in such a situation.   

 

 

rkacruiser - It is not funny to me.  I know that there is so much behind the scenes serious attention that is being given to patients.  This was not "lots of fussing" that I saw today.  I really don't know what it was. I don't want to argue with you re what was viewed on-line with the Zaandam.  I know it was not a comedy, it was/is serious.  How fortunate for you to have been in Boston when you needed care, exceptional medical personnel and first responders in that city.  Cherie

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Oh my gosh, sending prayers and good vibes for a good outcome for both of them.  Poor Deb; she's been through a lot to help her folks.  Bless her, as well.

 

Gerry

And how great that she is there for them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...