Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

3 minutes ago, dockman said:

i got a text earlier today when he said all luggage was collected to be sent to them later after sanitizing...He said they were told they would probably disembark at 4 pm EST.  Nothing since then and don't want to bother him as no doubt he will text when he is ready.  Not sure if they will fly him home at night or how that will work out re his drive home from airport to his home which is probably another two hours. Also not sure who/how books his flights without knowing what time they will arrive at the airport.  There are not big numbers of late night flights to his destination so maybe they don't get off until tomorrow morning??     I am sure he would prefer to land in daytime but no matter what he will deal with it and be very very happy to get home. 

I just checked and appears to me last flight of night out of FLL that would connect and get brother home left at 7;30 pm EST so my GUESS is probably one more night on rotterdam?  Probably others in same situation and i am sure they don't want to go sit in an airport overnight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the unified Command for making this happen. 

Whether popular or not, the US and FL officials did what they had to do.  They asked the tough questions, despite people flaming them for specific choices of words and totally unrelated nonsense like whether the beaches were open or closed. They have had their hands full with numerous cases in which ships want to offload sick in to South Florida.  The tough questions had to be asked.  Yet despite all this, in the end, Zaandam and Rotterdam were only delayed a short while once reaching the Port Everglades area. 

Remember, other countries/ports flat out denied Zaandam without so much as even a discussion.  Furthermore, not one single other country or port came forward and offered their docks to these 2 ships.  Not one! 

God Bless the USA, God Bless the Unified Command, God Bless the first responders who are working this, and most of all, God Bless the officers, crew, & passengers, both healthy, sick and lost, of the M/S Zaandam and M/S Rotterdam.  We were with you all the way. 

I think this all bears repeating. Thanks Paul. Well said. Oorah!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So happy to watch Zaandam and Rotterdam pull into Port Everglades this afternoon.  Thankful that everything came together and that these two ships were permitted to port.  Saying a prayer for Deb's Mom and Jim for a complete recover along with all the other passengers who have been taken to hospitals.   Wishing safe travels home for all other guests on board.

A special thanks to Cooper 10-8, Aquahound and those who had family members onboard and our HAL members in general for sharing valuable information with us for the past 12 days since this thread started.  Thanks to all of you for your caring and concern for the passengers and crew onboard Zaandam and Rotterdam.  These were not easy days for anyone involved but the support of the Cruise Critic community certainly helped.  

Hope to see all of you on a ship someday....and I'll leave you tonight with a line from an email signature sent to me this week:  "Be Kinder Than You Need To Be!"

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Hope to see all of you on a ship someday....and I'll leave you tonight with a line from an email signature sent to me this week:  "Be Kinder Than You Need To Be!"

If everyone was "kinder than you need to be" only once the world would be a better place.  Cherie

• Like 1

just got text from brother...says he/wife just passed temp check and "coveted" disembark card...but neither he or any of other nearby passengers knows what flights etc?...not sure what is going on as 9;30 EST there now and no more commercial flights tonight?  So STILL in a bit of limbo.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

I expressed some of the same concerns but my comments were not well received for obvious reasons.  So like you I hope that the so called "healthy" passengers will not contribute to the crisis.  They are supposed to quarantine at home upon arrival at their destinations but the commercial flights are an issue.  And who will insure that they follow the quarantine once they are away from Florida?  In CA the Grand Princess passengers were kept in isolation at various military bases, Travis in your area.

So grateful the ships are successfully in port.   The commercial flights will be the most concerning.  My wife works in flight and has been watching fellow flight attendants falling ill after ferrying passengers from San Diego.  I know she is working Miami next week.  It would have been great to see a 14 day quarantine before release.  Apparently there will not be any "mass" testing.  I pray all make it home safe and no one comes down with the virus.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dockman said:

Unless they plan to charter small private planes there is no way that all pax will be flown on charter flights within the USA as there re no doubt multiple cities involved.  Flying commercial is going to happen.  Not sure if/why that would freak anyone out as Florida airports are up and running with people arriving everyday from hot spots like New York.  Of course these people are not getting a fraction of the attention that cruise passengers have gotten even though we frankly have little if any idea how many of them may be infected. 

For example Orlando:

During the first three days following DeSantis’ order — Tuesday to Thursday — 135 flights arrived in Orlando from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut carrying a combined nearly 3,000 passengers 

Which is exactly why the fear of flying commercial right now is overblown. That's an average of 22 passengers on a plane.

Edited by css5
unwanted image

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

just got text from brother...says he/wife just passed temp check and "coveted" disembark card...but neither he or any of other nearby passengers knows what flights etc?...not sure what is going on as 9;30 EST there now and no more commercial flights tonight?  So STILL in a bit of limbo.....

Maybe this article will give a little more info about potential flights for your brother. Glad he is (almost) home!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/02/coronavirus-holland-america-ships-dock-fort-lauderdale/5110778002/?fbclid=IwAR2mMZ4g2xjIjAQ8_vH1BDdKRgyFiyZIJ284IDfV5kCFV7FR3G8IsYhamrQ

"While South Florida residents returning home via ground transportation were expected to depart Port Everglades on Thursday, Aall others will return to the ship until Friday, when they will be bussed directly to the tarmac at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. From there, they will board one of five charter flights bound for Atlanta, San Francisco, Toronto and Paris/Frankfurt. A fifth flight bound for London Heathrow will depart around 1 a.m. ET Saturday."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zonacruiser25 said:

So grateful the ships are successfully in port.   The commercial flights will be the most concerning.  My wife works in flight and has been watching fellow flight attendants falling ill after ferrying passengers from San Diego.  I know she is working Miami next week.  It would have been great to see a 14 day quarantine before release.  Apparently there will not be any "mass" testing.  I pray all make it home safe and no one comes down with the virus.  

You expressed these thoughts very well and I fully concur.  Like you I feel that a 14 day quarantine would have been appropriate much like the Grand Princess in CA but regardless I am also grateful that the ships docked and I hope all make it home safely.  I also hope your wife is safe in the days to come.  Bless her heart for her efforts.  🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

A special thanks to Cooper 10-8, Aquahound and those who had family members onboard and our HAL members in general for sharing valuable information with us for the past 12 days since this thread started. 

Thank you Anne.  And a special thanks to you....you had your hands full moderating this one. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Maybe this article will give a little more info about potential flights for your brother. Glad he is (almost) home!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/02/coronavirus-holland-america-ships-dock-fort-lauderdale/5110778002/?fbclid=IwAR2mMZ4g2xjIjAQ8_vH1BDdKRgyFiyZIJ284IDfV5kCFV7FR3G8IsYhamrQ

"While South Florida residents returning home via ground transportation were expected to depart Port Everglades on Thursday, Aall others will return to the ship until Friday, when they will be bussed directly to the tarmac at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. From there, they will board one of five charter flights bound for Atlanta, San Francisco, Toronto and Paris/Frankfurt. A fifth flight bound for London Heathrow will depart around 1 a.m. ET Saturday."

thank you..that makes sense...they are sitting in their room again waiting to be told what is next...apparently the above info has not been shared with them as of five mins ago....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

Thank you Anne.  And a special thanks to you....you had your hands full moderating this one. 

Thanks to all that kept us informed.  Being housebound for the duration, keeping up on this was quite interesting.  I hope this can continue as everyone returns home.  I pray for quick healing to all that have contracted Covid that this will quickly pass with complete healing.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

Pardon the bad pun but regarding a group quarantine after disembarking,  that ship has sailed there is too much community spread in everyplace with an airport already. For those in North Carolina the idea mentioned suggesting dockman's brother rent a car and drive home is a good one for anyone living close to the destination of their charter flight. 

While monitoring this drama we received a phone that the assistive living where my 89 year old mother in law has an apartment has a confirmed case. They have been closed to visitors for at least 10 days. So as long as there are flights still going I don't see the passengers who are currently as clear of the virus as any other person you could be sitting near posa significantly grater risk than any other person flying right now and possibly less. After all 80% of the Diamond Princess never came down with the virus. 

Edited by cdwise
Fixing iOS auto correct
  • Like 4

strange but my brother says the front desk is "waiting to hear from head office" in regards to when they fly home...yet this is front page news on USA today and other sources...so i told him what is in news.

as for driving from FLL to NC that is one LONG drive especially for older folks who have just finished an ordeal

• Like 4

The Washington Post has just published a fascinating and touching article entitled ‘The holiday of a lifetime’: An oral history of the infected, rejected Zaandam cruise ship (https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-holiday-of-a-lifetime-an-oral-history-of-the-infected-rejected-zaandam-cruise-ship/2020/04/02/958c2288-7491-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html).

Passengers' and family members' comments are interspersed with a history of the cruise.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dockman said:

strange but my brother says the front desk is "waiting to hear from head office" in regards to when they fly home...yet this is front page news on USA today and other sources...so i told him what is in news.

as for driving from FLL to NC that is one LONG drive especially for older folks who have just finished an ordeal

Ordeal, yes.

But, I would prefer a nice drive instead of being "herded: into a plane with more people.

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

So grateful the ships are successfully in port.   The commercial flights will be the most concerning.  My wife works in flight and has been watching fellow flight attendants falling ill after ferrying passengers from San Diego.

They said  pax were isolated March 22nd  so they are already past the average  onset  about 5-10 days  for the virus to hit   but hopefully people will take precautions  & wear the masks to be provided  & wash their hands often 

Then self isolate   when they get home  & not stop off to shop on the way

JMO

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, garycarla said:

Ordeal, yes.

But, I would prefer a nice drive instead of being "herded: into a plane with more people.

12 hour drive which would mean for them a stop for hotel...then finally get home and have to eventually drive another hour or two to return rental car....i think they will be happy to be herded into plane after having been herded into a 185 sf room for two weeks plus...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dockman said:

Maybe they are waiting for Exact  flight details before  they notify pax

not all will be on the same flights

Except the non Americans probably will be together according to destination