90 years old, can't get doctor's note

ping1

My elderly mother can not get a doctor's note to take our cruise in June.  (Royal has not canceled this cruise yet)

The cruise line will give a FCC if we cancel.  What good is a FCC if she can't get a doctor's note?  Logically we should get a refund.  What have other cruisers experienced?

(If the cruise line cancels this particular cruise, I know that we can get a refund.)

30 minutes ago, ping1 said:

My elderly mother can not get a doctor's note to take our cruise in June.  (Royal has not canceled this cruise yet)

The cruise line will give a FCC if we cancel.  What good is a FCC if she can't get a doctor's note?  Logically we should get a refund.  What have other cruisers experienced?

(If the cruise line cancels this particular cruise, I know that we can get a refund.)

You will have to wait a bit and see if the cruise ends up sailing and if it does do they still have the same restrictions in place.  The Drs note was a temporary measure to be reviewed every 30 days. 

• Like 1

Have 4 cruises booked this year if the 70’s doctor’s note is not lifted will not be able to cruise. Asked our physician if he would be willing to sign such a note & he said “NO” because of the liability. All cruises were booked last year. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Please Enlighten me on the need for Dr note. I must have missed something

If you are over 70, you need to have a doctor's note saying you are fit to sail.

Edited by MommaBear55
To Correct number

9 hours ago, ping1 said:

Would you really feel safe having your 90 year old mother on a cruise at this time? While things might have calmed down by then I don’t see that it will be gone or a vaccine developed by then. Best to just cancel and collect on insurance (and please don’t tell me you booked a 90 year old on a cruise and failed to get insurance). 

1 hour ago, gerif said:

Would you really feel safe having your 90 year old mother on a cruise at this time? While things might have calmed down by then I don’t see that it will be gone or a vaccine developed by then. Best to just cancel and collect on insurance (and please don’t tell me you booked a 90 year old on a cruise and failed to get insurance). 

We took my 87 yo Mom last year. She still drives and does her own shopping and cooking. I think she will out live us all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We took my 87 yo Mom last year. She still drives and does her own shopping and cooking. I think she will out live us all. 

My mom did not go on a cruise but she will be 90 in July and also still drives shops and does her own cooking.  She also does  water aerobics in the summer

Edited by molly361
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

My mom did not go on a cruise but she will be 90 in July and also still drives shops and does her own cooking.  She also does  water aerobics in the summer

I should have mentioned my Mom walks without assistance. Still likeS to work with her flowers outside. When it’s really hot, she paces herself. I don’t see any issues with cruising with her. She has always cleaned her own house. Us boys recently, hired someone to come in and clean for her. She also loves to entertain her friends, although the numbers are decreasing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s wonderful. My aunt lived to be 106 and only needed to spend her last eight months in a nursing home. Otherwise she was quite active. However, you are totally missing the point. A year ago we were not facing this pandemic to which older people are most vulnerable. No one knows what is going to happen in June. I just received word that a large convention that I attend every year scheduled for late June has been canceled. People can’t just figure oh great, restrictions have been lifted so everyone is perfectly safe. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Lol my parents are 93 and 101, yours are young yet. 

My mom hated to travel before this started. I cant even get her to go by car from dallas to Lubbock to visit her sister. She was already a hermit.

She does lovely quilts, cooking also was never her thing. I got them a chicken in case of a emergency food wise. I bet it stays in the freezer a while.

They still live alone, but cant blame virus on her cooking or not wanting to go anywhere. I keep saying I'm not really her daughter. I've always wanted to travel. 

There was no way I could get her on a ship, she threw up last time she flew 😁

I dont remember it but mom says she took us out on a small boat on lake Erie when we were kids and that made her throw up. She doesnt like any mode of transportation period. She is hopeless, virus changed nothing for them except added worry.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Junkhouse said:

The problem is that there will be residual cases for months and maybe years.  When will most feel comfortable in resuming their life as it was before the virus hit?

The real future is unknown, unless you have a crystal ball.  A lot depends on numerous outcomes: how fast the virus mutates and how deadly/infectious the mutation happens to be; how fast and how well a potential immunization might be, how much immunity an infection may provide; and many more unknowns.  In my opinion our most blatant failure right now is the ability for massive testing.

Lol I'm in dallas where we had 78 new positives yesterday..almost 70, and kinda feel like if I get it I get it. Doing my best to shelter in place, but I'd cruise by January i decided, and booked January...yep still a tad worrisome even January but cant stop living forever. There is no magic date we will be safe anyone knows.

12 hours ago, ping1 said:

I wouldn't have my 90-year-old mother on a cruise anytime in the near future. I would convince her not to do it. IMHO.

• Like 2