USNS Comfort

WE live in Queens, NYC the epicenter of the epicenter.  While the Comfort is important, it was sad to see it being used as a prop for a photo op when it left Virginia.

We need masks, tests and ventilators right now.  Those who live in suburban and rural areas need to take this seriously, very seriously.  Our today in New York is your tomorrow.  Be smart, fellow cruisers, stay home, socially distance when it is necessary to go out and listen to those who share science not "feelings."

• Like 10

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

There are folks here who will say, "any cruise is better than no cruise." Well this is one ship I"m hoping to avoid 🙂

Though the Ship is there to serve the Emergency non-Corona patients... Thank you all that are sacrificing in our time of need.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, yogimax said:

We need masks, tests and ventilators right now.  Those who live in suburban and rural areas need to take this seriously, very seriously.  Our today in New York is your tomorrow.  Be smart, fellow cruisers, stay home, socially distance when it is necessary to go out and listen to those who share science not "feelings."

New York City today!  😞

Outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in New York

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/crowds-ignore-social-distancing-rules-to-watch-usns-comfort/

GP: Coronavirus Comfort arrives 200330

View image on Twitter

image0-2-2.jpeg?fit=1024%2C768

Edited by Another_Critic

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Seems smaller (fewer decks) than I thought it would be.  Must be what happens when you look at Oasis Class ships a lot.  Looking at Wikipedia, she has an impressive set of capabilities.

Makes me curious. If she were a RCL ship, what class would she be?

Displacement: 69,360 tons (70,470 t)[1]
Length: 894 ft (272 m)
Beam: 105 ft 7 in (32.18 m)
Draft: 33 ft (10 m)
Propulsion: two boilers, two GE turbines, one shaft, 24,500 hp (18.3 MW)
Speed: 17.5 knots (20.1 mph; 32.4 km/h)
Capacity: 1000 patient beds
Complement: 63 civilian, 956 naval hospital staff, 258 naval support staff

19 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

By gross tonnage, she'd be similar to the Sovereign class.  Empress is the only current (for now) Royal ship smaller than the USNS Comfort.

41 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

By gross tonnage, she'd be similar to the Sovereign class.  Empress is the only current (for now) Royal ship smaller than the USNS Comfort.

She's very long, though

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Pretty close to Grandeur of the Seas.

Tonnage:
Length: 279 m (915 ft)
Beam:
  • 32.2 m (106 ft) (waterline)
  • 36 m (118 ft) (maximum)
Draught: 7.82 m (26 ft)
Depth: 15.85 m (52 ft)
Decks: 11
Installed power: 4 × MAN B&W 12V48/60
Propulsion:
Speed: 22 kn (41 km/h; 25 mph)
Capacity: 2,446 passengers
Crew: 760

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandeur_of_the_Seas

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

By gross tonnage, she'd be similar to the Sovereign class.  

Class and type: Sovereign-class cruise ship
Tonnage: 73,941 GT
Length: 880 ft (268.22 m)
Beam: 106 ft (32.31 m)
Draught: 28 ft (8.53 m)
Decks: 13 passenger decks
Speed: 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)
Capacity: 2,767 passengers
Crew: 833

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That was horrible to see the crowds gathering for arrival of this ship.  It's not like she is going anywhere anytime soon.  They could take photos anytime to avoid crowds.  Oh People!!!

Those pictures are the very definition of irony. Don't worry folks, some of you may get a much closer view of that ship in only a couple of weeks.

Some countries (particularly the ones with SARS-in-2003 experience) have successfully flatten the curve. I can tell you one thing, staring down a pandemic they would not tolerate the nonsense displayed in those pictures.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

Those pictures are the very definition of irony. Don't worry folks, some of you may get a much closer view of that ship in only a couple of weeks.

Ship is there to take care of non-CV patients only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The USNS Comfort (and her sister Mercy) started life as oil tankers. They have very little superstructure. Most everything is inside the hull. The ships were built inthe middle 70's, and converted about 10 years later

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Actually, she's around 55,000 gross tons, closest to Empress.

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Pretty close to Grandeur of the Seas.

As said, closest to Empress in Gross Tonnage.  In terms of displacement she's actually closer to a Voyager Class ship.

12 hours ago, yogimax said:

WE live in Queens, NYC the epicenter of the epicenter.  While the Comfort is important, it was sad to see it being used as a prop for a photo op when it left Virginia.

You see a huge American 1000 bed hospital ship arriving to your city to provide medical care, & you're sad & you only see it as a photo op?

Hope you're the only One in NYC who feel that way.

Do you know how many masks, tests & ventilators they're carrying onboard, along with 12 operating rooms, 20 surgical recovery rooms, 80 intensive care beds & 900+ beds.

Pls be a little grateful to my fellow Shipmates & GO NAVY!!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I read that they had to dredge the slip to ensure that the ship's draft was accommodated.  I guess that's where the difference between gross tonnage and displacement come in, as I know Norwegian's largest ships berth there.

6 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Actually, she's around 55,000 gross tons, closest to Empress.

As said, closest to Empress in Gross Tonnage.  In terms of displacement she's actually closer to a Voyager Class ship.

Interesting, haven't been able to find gross tonnage on Comfort, but when using rough averages for tankers, using her deadweight of 89k, gives a GT of around 58k, so that's pretty close.  Never seen a displacement figure on a cruise ship, that's generally not commonly published, since it's not real important. Where did you get this?  And, again, using rough averages, based on the 89k deadweight, gives about a 108k displacement (full load), which I would think is way more than a Voyager.  But then again, displacement on a tanker varies vastly between full load and light, and the weight of the additional superstructure and equipment in Comfort is not all that great, so I doubt she sits anywhere near the 64 foot draft that she had when a fully loaded tanker, though I'm sure there is some permanent concrete ballast installed for stability.

And yes, everyone is confusing Gross Tonnage, displacement, and deadweight tonnage.  Not all "tonnages" are the same.

As for the size of the superstructure, the hospital is in the hull, and goes all the way down to the keel, unlike a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the actual interior of COMFORT and MERCY is  quite open.  the lifts are wide enough to accommodate a gurney and entire support staff, the stairs  are wide and shallow, even compared to a cruise ship.   the only 'cramped' areas are actually the crew berthing, and even compared to  a Cruiser or destroyer, are quite spacious and comfy.  

I'll ask Mr spook to provide pictures of  COMFORT as he was deployed on her back in 2015.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

You see a huge American 1000 bed hospital ship arriving to your city to provide medical care, & you're sad & you only see it as a photo op?

Hope you're the only One in NYC who feel that way.

Do you know how many masks, tests & ventilators they're carrying onboard, along with 12 operating rooms, 20 surgical recovery rooms, 80 intensive care beds & 900+ beds.

Pls be a little grateful to my fellow Shipmates & GO NAVY!!!

My son in law just retired after 20 years in the Navy, they live in the Hampton Roads area.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Interesting, haven't been able to find gross tonnage on Comfort, but when using rough averages for tankers, using her deadweight of 89k, gives a GT of around 58k, so that's pretty close.  Never seen a displacement figure on a cruise ship, that's generally not commonly published, since it's not real important. Where did you get this?  And, again, using rough averages, based on the 89k deadweight, gives about a 108k displacement (full load), which I would think is way more than a Voyager.

The Navy states Mercy Class vessels displace 69,360 tons.  I'm sure that is less than when they were operating with a full load as tankers.

There are several articles from when Voyager was introduced claiming a displacement of around 68,000 tons, though I can't comment on their accuracy.  I've also seen 54K and 64K, but 68K is the most commonly cited number.  Regardless of the exact number, it certainly shows that the relationship between displacement and GT varies dramatically with different ship designs.