Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m reaching out to the tech experts here, or anyone smarter than me actually LOL.  Before our Anthem cruise this past April, someone gave me iPhone advice. I thought I had taken a screenshot but can’t find it.  
To use Voom, and avoid any unwanted charges, do we put our phones in airplane mode? And will this allow iMessage for texting back home and possibly WiFi calling?  I know there was some setting we needed to put our phones in.  

You need to first turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi back on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

We have 53° and rain this morning, so today is a day to catch up on inside work.

One of the things I hate about getting old, is discovering bruises and not remembering what you did to get them.  Got a nice one on my forearm by my elbow, with no idea what I hit it on.   

Maybe I need to start “going big”, like Greg, to make them memorable.

I sometimes wonder if tech like Google Glass...smart glasses that can see what you see...should be used to record everything that you see and do.  You can then rewind to answer important questions.  Why did I come into this room?  What was I talking about 5 minutes ago that I said I needed to do?  What was that grocery store item that I said I would remember and didn't need to write down?  Where did that bruise come from?  Did Micheline really tell me what she said she told me? 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

@Momof3gurlz, if you haven’t already done the initial Wi-Fi calling setup,  set up Wi-Fi calling while you are at home, and don’t wait until you are on the ship. 

That way, you can try it out to make sure it works, by putting the phone in airplane mode and connecting to your Wi-Fi network and making a call. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You need to first turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi back on.

I don't think you need to do this anymore on an iPhone.  I think Apple changed their system such that Wi-Fi stays on when you go to airplane mode.  It's still good advice though...you need to be sure that both airplane mode and Wi-Fi are on, no matter how you get there.  

If you pull down from the top right corner of your iPhone, touch the airplane circle.  Your screen should look like this, with the airplane circle being orange (meaning that airplane mode is on) and the Wi-Fi circle below the airplane circle being blue, meaning Wi-Fi is turned on.  

IMG_9939.thumb.jpg.a2c9cd483e9f0e83ab5df7e1f95f4f51.jpg

The blue circle to the right of the Wi-Fi circle is for Bluetooth.  You should keep this on as well if you use any Bluetooth devices like wireless head phones/ear buds, or an Apple Watch.

For completeness, the grayed out icon to the right of the airplane circle is for your cellular connection.  When you turn on airplane mode, this turns off.  That's essentially what airplane mode does these days...turn off your cellular connection that can interfere with an airplane's systems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m reaching out to the tech experts here, or anyone smarter than me actually LOL.  Before our Anthem cruise this past April, someone gave me iPhone advice. I thought I had taken a screenshot but can’t find it.  
To use Voom, and avoid any unwanted charges, do we put our phones in airplane mode? And will this allow iMessage for texting back home and possibly WiFi calling?  I know there was some setting we needed to put our phones in.  

Sharon was also able to FaceTime with her iPhone.   We were able to watch Caden's soccer game by FaceTime.   You will only be able to text other Apple devices with iMessage.  The Whatsapp works to text others but they would need the Whatsapp too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

@Momof3gurlz, if you haven’t already done the initial Wi-Fi calling setup,  set up Wi-Fi calling while you are at home, and don’t wait until you are on the ship. 

That way, you can try it out to make sure it works, by putting the phone in airplane mode and connecting to your Wi-Fi network and making a call. 

Great advice.

8 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

The sun is trying to break through the clouds…

For a Tuscan sunrise…

We are making Lemoncello out of lemons

1C25025A-1832-4526-9734-DD0AFFE876F7.thumb.jpeg.3e3e9457339cada09b1477ef7bce7651.jpeg

Great pictures of a beautiful place. I am sure John would like the Lemoncello.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't think you need to do this anymore on an iPhone.  I think Apple changed their system such that Wi-Fi stays on when you go to airplane mode.  It's still good advice though...you need to be sure that both airplane mode and Wi-Fi are on, no matter how you get there.  

If you pull down from the top right corner of your iPhone, touch the airplane circle.  Your screen should look like this, with the airplane circle being orange (meaning that airplane mode is on) and the Wi-Fi circle below the airplane circle being blue, meaning Wi-Fi is turned on.  

IMG_9939.thumb.jpg.a2c9cd483e9f0e83ab5df7e1f95f4f51.jpg

The blue circle to the right of the Wi-Fi circle is for Bluetooth.  You should keep this on as well if you use any Bluetooth devices like wireless head phones/ear buds, or an Apple Watch.

For completeness, the grayed out icon to the right of the airplane circle is for your cellular connection.  When you turn on airplane mode, this turns off.  That's essentially what airplane mode does these days...turn off your cellular connection that can interfere with an airplane's systems.

Interesting. On android when you turn on airplane mode it turns off all transmitters, including Bluetooth, and then you have to reactivate the modalities that you want to use.

I guess I should not comment on iPhone questions since I have no first hand experience with them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, George C said:

Wish more ships had aft suites , only ship we ever saw one was on brilliance, had great corner aft grand suite.

we always liked the old what’s my line , didn’t know they were on prime .

I was bored last night and decided to check them out .There was a show that I never heard of :Nothing But The Truth hosted by Mike Wallace from 1956.The interesting thing is that on What’s My Line a person could win $50 but on the Mike Wallace show they can split $1200.

The shows are also on my I-Phone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Probably the most enthusiastic fans I've seen all post season.  Good for them, it's been a long time coming. 

Enjoy the ride. Go Phillies!

My prediction is Astros in 6.I know the Phillies have a lot of power but they did not do so well in the regular season.

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Interesting. On android when you turn on airplane mode it turns off all transmitters, including Bluetooth, and then you have to reactivate the modalities that you want to use.

I guess I should not comment on iPhone questions since I have no first hand experience with them.

Used to be like that with iPhones also.  Not sure when it changed.  It might be (guessing here) that early on, there was fear that any of the phone's transmitters could impact a plane.  They may have learned that cellular is the only real concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Sharon was also able to FaceTime with her iPhone.   We were able to watch Caden's soccer game by FaceTime.   You will only be able to text other Apple devices with iMessage.  The Whatsapp works to text others but they would need the Whatsapp too.

I message from my iPhone to family on Samsung phones with no problem. You don’t need WhatsApp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Maybe I need to start “going big”, like Greg, to make them memorable.

Oh, and I got to see my granddaughter on TV this morning, doing the Pledge of Allegiance with her class.  She did excellent.  When Susan and I worked with the grandkids every day during remote learning, we had them start every day with the Pledge.

NO, please do not Go Big!    Don't even say things like that. 

That is awesome you had the children do the Pledge of Allegiance.    Love it😄

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My prediction is Astros in 6.I know the Phillies have a lot of power but they did not do so well in the regular season.

While the overall regular season record does not look impressive, that was the result of their 22-29 start to the season. Once they fired Giradi, they went 65-46 for a respectable .585 winning percentage.

Remember, it's not how well you did during the regular season - just ask Dodger fans - but how well you are playing now.  Both teams are firing on all cylinders.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

I had my hips x-rayed this morning.

Afterwards we went for some lunch.

I will be 66 tomorrow and start claiming our government old age pension.👍

IMG_20221026_123640.jpg

Happy early birthday 🥂🎉🎂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1