Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

40 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just read on another site that Harmony had to make an emergency medical stop in Cozumel to drop off Captain James.  The cruise is continuing on to Roatan with the staff captains in charge.  Hopefully he is okay.

How awful!  I do hope that he will be okay.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 4:13 PM, jmh2006 said:

Hi CC friends!  It has been a rough 10 days.  As some already know from that other site that shall remain nameless, I lost my dear father very unexpectedly on April 18th.  He was in good health up to the very end and would have been 88 this August.  I returned home today after a week down in North Carolina, where he lived, to help my sister take care of all the "things".  My sister moved down there from NJ last summer.  While I am still a little bit in shock that he is gone (my mother died in 2014), I am so thankful he was living life to the fullest up to the very end and we were all together the first weekend of April for a fun filled time.  My father had moved into a lovely independent living community in the fall of 2022 so he had downsized quite a bit which was very helpful this past week as were emptying his apartment.  I also urge everyone to have all their important papers organized in a file for your loved ones, should anything happen unexpectedly as did for us.  Even though we knew where all the "stuff" was he still had little post it notes all over his desk of passwords for his computer.  😃  We will be having a Celebration of Life in the summer down in NC for him.  

I am so very sorry to hear about your Dad passing away.   May he RIP🙏

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

After taking 2 to 3 cruises a year for many , many years just don't have the interest in cruising that much anymore.

So I guess we are going the opposite way as far as cruising a lot first and now want to do  more land vacations.

Have you done river cruises? We've done a few now and enjoy them. They have the advantage that oceans cruises do in the sense that your hotel travels with you, and obviously river cruises go places you can't get to from ocean ports. We don't like doing the same Caribbean ports over & over, and do some of the other itineraries more, but occasionally will sail for the ship just to see/experience a new one.

Anyway, we've done Nuremburg to Luxemburg, Nuremburg to Vienna, Vilshofen to Budapest to Bucharest, and next Spring will be doing Basel to Amsterdam. At that point, we'll have gone all the way from Amsterdam to the Black Sea. 🙂 

The River Cruises sub forum is active enough.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just read on another site that Harmony had to make an emergency medical stop in Cozumel to drop off Captain James.  The cruise is continuing on to Roatan with the staff captains in charge.  Hopefully he is okay.

We’re on Mariner, Captain announced we were docking at a different location so that another ship could use our spot.  We saw Harmony leaving, I don’t remember when but thought it was a strange time to be leaving.

• Like 2

@Ocean Boy I was on Louis Vuitton looking for something for Mother’s Day.  I came across their Light House purse, from the Nautical Collection. I cut out the price to avoid bringing on any heart palpitations.

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.a6da4fe580014159e1df556848e82dbe.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We are looking at dates in October, no way would we do this type of tour in the summer.

My Brother and his Wife did one of his tour packages in Italy and absolutely loved it.   I remember them saying everyday is planned out and found the schedule to be busy but thoroughly enjoyed.

A year or two later they followed his suggestions for touring UK but on the own, not a group tour.  They were happy with that trip too.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm going may 2025 and staying over in rome. Im hearing mixed things like even if the hotel says it has ac it doesnt in may. By law the hotel cant turn on ac until june. 23 days plus 4 or 6 days in rome. Idk. I am worried about pick pockets and hearing stories. I dont speak other languages. Bus system. I've never been let alone by myself. I know I can get a hotel close to most things but I'm still worried my first time. Reading just worries me more. The reason for 4 or 6 days is from what I see flights cost more on friday, 4 days. I can stay 6 days and fly home on a sunday about the same price. 

My buyers called today out of the blue needing more time. I agreed to only 10 days. Not happy, kinda mad. I called before I made a deposit to move and she lied and said her rate locked and ready. Liar. Calling moving company to see if I can push it back a week. Waiting for call back. Ready for this to be over. She is from Vietnam and she and her co signer both dont seem to understand dates matter. Hes trying to BS me about how it's not unusual a few days late or a automatic extension 30 days. I said no such thing, contacts dont have 30 days extension built in. Hes making stuff up. He acts like hes a expert and doesnt know I know better. I'm really pissed off this morning after all his BS. I've paid to move, no one here and the house will be empty, lawn needs mowing etc.

As a seller you may ask buyers to provide proof they are fully approved for their mortgage.  Maybe you want to ask them for mortgage commitment letter from their lender to make sure no financing issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ATG said:

We’re on Mariner, Captain announced we were docking at a different location so that another ship could use our spot.  We saw Harmony leaving, I don’t remember when but thought it was a strange time to be leaving.

I looked at Marine Traffic for the ship's position but the information is almost 5 hours old for Harmony.  At that point, it was at the tip of the island.

25 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Have you done river cruises? We've done a few now and enjoy them. They have the advantage that oceans cruises do in the sense that your hotel travels with you, and obviously river cruises go places you can't get to from ocean ports. We don't like doing the same Caribbean ports over & over, and do some of the other itineraries more, but occasionally will sail for the ship just to see/experience a new one.

Anyway, we've done Nuremburg to Luxemburg, Nuremburg to Vienna, Vilshofen to Budapest to Bucharest, and next Spring will be doing Basel to Amsterdam. At that point, we'll have gone all the way from Amsterdam to the Black Sea. 🙂 

The River Cruises sub forum is active enough.

What cruise line was your River cruises, same line or multiple lines ?

11 minutes ago, George C said:

What cruise line was your River cruises, same line or multiple lines ?

in 2005 we went with my parents on Vantage (went bankrupt a year or 2 ago and liquidated). Was not a fan anyway.

We did another one recently with my parents on Grand Circle (Christmas Markets). Again, not a fan. The crew was nice enough, ship & food ok, but the cabins are a non-starter with us. Twin fold down single bunks over a dual bench table. We are spooners. Doesn't work. Reminds me of a camper. Tiny bathroom. Hated the format of having no excursion options and being spit amongst 4 CMs that led all tours themselves.

We've done 3 cruises (1 plus a b2b) with AmaWaterways and have another (4th) booked for Spring. We love them. The b2b was on AmaMagna, and that ship is amazing for a river ship. (find my review in the River Cruises forum). Love the multiple, small group, excursion options and the fact that they use local experts for tour guides.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Good afternoon from Canada Place.  3 ships departing so it took 1.5hrs  to board.  Just thankful I didn’t book radiance (which I was seriously considering)D3B35883-703F-4E21-B55C-198A37184587.thumb.jpeg.da487bfd0970a38ed83f0810d72bdb66.jpeg

Beautiful day for our sailaway

Best wishes for an absolutely fantastic cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:21 AM, dani negreanu said:

Sue and Donna,

Pls. help me understand... "12 hours shifts" -- does it mean continuous 12 hours, or 4 days [shifts] of 12 hours, and then 4 days off?

Same as 3 week end days in a row?

When I've served in the army, we had 7 hours shifts with 2 breaks of 20 mins of sitting down.

We're patrolling in what may be called the "Grand Central", checking suspects of terrorism activity.

I used to return home whipped out.

Since then, I'm sitting down whenever I have the possibility....😉

I did both three on, three off. Day shifts 7am to 7pm, so 36 hrs in a six day week

Then four on, four off, two days 7am - 7pm and two nights 7pm to 7am. 48 hrs in an 8 day week.

Nights shifts finished 7am on first day off but you got a 24 period off between days and nights.  This was at LGW in the 70s to 90s.

LHR doesn't have night flights, so shifts start at 5am and finish at 11pm (early and lates, 8 hour, four on two off, so 32 hours in a 6 day week.

Glad to see the back of shift work 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 7:55 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

As for your concerns, here is what helps me.  

Be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.   This has kept me from playing monopoly a few times.  Arguing rarely changes anything so why waste time.

Consider renting a bike while there.  We loved riding bikes there.  Easy to get around.  Also if a topic comes up and you want to avoid it say, Be back in awhile and go jump on the bike!  Try to enjoy the 5 days.  Lots to see and enjoy. 

Have a safe trip!

Wow, such great advice. Wish more people were like you, perhaps the world would get on better 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 9:13 PM, jmh2006 said:

Hi CC friends!  It has been a rough 10 days.  As some already know from that other site that shall remain nameless, I lost my dear father very unexpectedly on April 18th.  He was in good health up to the very end and would have been 88 this August.  I returned home today after a week down in North Carolina, where he lived, to help my sister take care of all the "things".  My sister moved down there from NJ last summer.  While I am still a little bit in shock that he is gone (my mother died in 2014), I am so thankful he was living life to the fullest up to the very end and we were all together the first weekend of April for a fun filled time.  My father had moved into a lovely independent living community in the fall of 2022 so he had downsized quite a bit which was very helpful this past week as were emptying his apartment.  I also urge everyone to have all their important papers organized in a file for your loved ones, should anything happen unexpectedly as did for us.  Even though we knew where all the "stuff" was he still had little post it notes all over his desk of passwords for his computer.  😃  We will be having a Celebration of Life in the summer down in NC for him.  

Sorry to hear about your dad, the shock and finality when it's unexpected can be harrowing to come to terms with. Heartfelt condolences 🙏 

But it sounds he had a long and great life. And its conforting to know that he didn't suffer with any long painful disease or dementia 

RIP

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Arzeena said:

But my major excitement is about the small possibility that Captain Kate will be on board.....either as Captain or cruiser. And those mini lemon meringue tarts at Bacio.......😁🥰 umm umm umm!

She was very 'present" all over the ship on our Beyond cruise two years ago (along with our lovely Dani and hubby). Often seen in the cafe doling out cakes and did a very interesting talk in the theatre one afternoon. I've got a pic of her with me and Gary somewhere 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to the new 'Shardlake' series starting tonight on Disney. I've listened to all the books on Audible in the series.  Sad that the author passed away a few days ago.

And it has Sean Bean so win win 😉

Also looking forward to the new 'Clarksons Farm' series starting on Prime in a few days 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 3:19 PM, Coralc said:

I was thinking more of them pounding the spike in. 😗

I was awake in the OR for the re-attachment of my index finger.  It was freaking out the OR nurses as they said they weren't used to talking to the patient.

They asked what music I wanted on so they played assorted rock....Pink floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.

For me the worst part was the Dr hammering in the rod/spike.  I felt that pounding throughout my body.   Then he removed it as he wanted to better position it.   So more pounding.  

• Like 10

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Good afternoon from Canada Place.  3 ships departing so it took 1.5hrs  to board.  Just thankful I didn’t book radiance (which I was seriously considering)D3B35883-703F-4E21-B55C-198A37184587.thumb.jpeg.da487bfd0970a38ed83f0810d72bdb66.jpeg

Beautiful day for our sailaway

Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

Things got really busy yesterday and I didn’t have time to post.  

Maybe because I was here. 

IMG_1075.thumb.jpeg.2a94a69fd749100c8d04e49da859991c.jpeg

This is a tropical pina duck

IMG_1076.thumb.jpeg.8cd60c34b24bc2485445aa1daf3bcdcb.jpeg

The collection grows. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Ocean Boy I was on Louis Vuitton looking for something for Mother’s Day.  I came across their Light House purse, from the Nautical Collection. I cut out the price to avoid bringing on any heart palpitations.

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.a6da4fe580014159e1df556848e82dbe.jpeg

It needs some bling at the top for the light, other than that I agree that OB needs one. 😁

• Haha 8

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Some of the hotels also might not have elevators or real good air conditioners systems........Is this a common thing for some of the hotels in Europe to not have elevators. I guess not all hotels there have AC either? Is this a common thing there?

Definitely not so much air con in older European city centre hotels or Airbnb private apartments. If you're lucky there may be fans. 

Lifts I would say depends on how old the building is and how many floors. Most decent size hotels should have lifts.

You can always filter in air con and elevators into a search engine like Booking.com 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

It needs some bling at the top for the light, other than that I agree that OB needs one. 😁

I'll need to coordinate the color of my toe nails.

• Haha 16